how to install a driver for a ethernet-usb adapter

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
snoeskees
Level 1
Level 1

how to install a driver for a ethernet-usb adapter

Post by snoeskees »

How can I install the linux driver (archive) <MCS783x_Linux_driver_v1.11.zip> I found at the Logilinkwebsite http://logilink.eu/showproduct/UA0025C. ... anguage=en to use the adapter: LogiLink® Fast Ethernet USB 2.0 to RJ45 Adapter for at the usb-port of my HPofficejet 3830 printer?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: how to install a driver for a ethernet-usb adapter

Post by xenopeek »

As I understand the drivers are for your computer for when you use the USB device to add a network port to the computer itself.

When using the USB device to add a network port to your HPofficejet 3830 printer, you don't need this driver on Linux Mint.

That said, the data sheet on the website makes it look like this USB device is for adding a network port to computers. It doesn't say anything about compatibility with printers or other devices where you can't install drivers. Unless you've found mention that the HPofficejet 3830 printer supports this device, I don't think it's going to work.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

I am guessing the printer includes a hub so the USB device is connected to the computer through the hub which is located in the printer and the computer would need to install whatever drivers are needed.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I can't wrap my head around what you wrote :lol: If you add the USB device to an external (in the printer) USB hub that is connected to your computer, you're adding the network port to your computer—not to the printer. You'd just not be plugging it directly into your computer but into the external USB hub. I can't see that being what OP intends to do.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

xenopeek wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:59 am I can't wrap my head around what you wrote :lol: If you add the USB device to an external (in the printer) USB hub that is connected to your computer, you're adding the network port to your computer—not to the printer. You'd just not be plugging it directly into your computer but into the external USB hub.
That is exactly what I meant.
xenopeek wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:59 am I can't see that being what OP intends to do.
I do not know that printer or its hardware and capabilities. I was just pointing out that it may be it just has a hub as I have seen other printers and scanners.

ETA: Looking some more I see it is a combination inkjet printer and scanner with USB and WiFi connectivity. No USB hub. It seems to me you first connect using USB and install the printer drivers in the computer and after that, if you like, you can disconnect the USB and use WiFi for printing.

I cannot see how you could use a USB - Ethernet adapter and I cannot see any use for it either. The solution would be to use a WiFi to Ethernet adapter, either as bridge or as AP.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
snoeskees
Level 1
Level 1

Post by snoeskees »

I think i didn't make my problem clear first, so my question was not clear as well (as in real life).
My problem is that i want to use my cabled wired LAN to a new bought 3638 officejet, which has only a USB 2.0 possibility to give access to that printer. You have the possibility to make a wifi-connection, but i would like to not do that. Te guide accompanying the printer says is is possible tot make a wired connection, it only does not say how. So i thought i try to use a ethernet>usb (female>male) adapter to make the connection to the printer (at the side of the printer of course). It didn't work, so i need a driver for the adapter, and i found a driver-archive for linux at the logilink website. But i don't know how to work with the files i got when i extracted that archive, to install it and by doing so connect the printer to my wired LAN.
I hope you can help me, because i am a beginner wit linux (mint 17.3 rosa).
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

I don't think what you are trying to do will work and I can't see the point either. Why not use the USB cable as intended? The only reason I can think of is distance in which case why not use WiFi? If you have good reason to not use USB or WiFi why didn't you get a printer with Ethernet capability?

If the problem is a long distance between printer and computer then you might be able to use a couple of USB extenders which would allow longer distance than pure USB allows.

In any case, I do not think you can combine USB to Ethernet the way you want, at least not without some major engineering and I doubt it would be successful. The printer USB port is not designed to be a network TCP/IP port. It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether.

If you absolutely must use Ethernet for printing then I suggest you either get a different printer with wired connectivity or use a WiFi to Ethernet adapter.

Maybe someone else has a better idea.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

snoeskees wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:34 am But i don't know how to work with the files i got when i extracted that archive, to install it and by doing so connect the printer to my wired LAN.
To be absolutely clear, the drivers need to be installed on the device into which the ethernet-USB adapter is plugged. That's not your computer but your printer. So there's no point in tinkering with the drivers you downloaded as:
a) they don't serve a purpose on your computer
b) you won't be able to install them in your printer

Unfortunately, like GS3 said, you should have gotten a printer with an ethernet port if that is what you needed. You can't add it with this ethernet-USB adapter. That's unrelated to the operating system you use.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

That device LogiLink Fast Ethernet USB 2.0 to RJ45 Adapter adds an Ethernet port to a computer through a USB port. It has a USB A connector. The printer is going to have a USB B connector so it would not even be possible to plug it into the printer. That device does not do and cannot do what you want it to do.
snoeskees
Level 1
Level 1

Post by snoeskees »

Thank you all for your clear answers and comments. I just bought this printer too fast. I just will have to live with wifi, taking a small security risk.

Return to “Open Chat”