People's legitimate Win 10 Pro systems are being disabled...

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

People's legitimate Win 10 Pro systems are being disabled...

Post by Portreve »

ars technica: Windows 10 users finding their legit installs are being deactivated
Microsoft has acknowledged that the problem exists and that some unspecified issue with the Windows Authentication servers is causing the problem, but as yet, there's no fix.
Or, like, y'know, you could quit using Windows and switch to GNU+Linux. Heck, even MacOS X doesn't do this kind of crazy crap.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
ud6

Is this the opportunity Linux has been waiting for

Post by ud6 »

Given that Microsoft now describes its system as a 'service' and will in the future require monthly payments, and current MS problems with 10 https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkell ... e29fa471eb (as well as insidious advertising putting people off, will linux OSs increase market share? Can we actually capitalise on this?

I do here mumbled complaints in my office about printer connectivity, software freezes, updates etc with most people unaware that there are alternatives to windows. I recently installed dual boot for two colleagues and both said they loved it (I chose mint, put nice wallpaper on it, set up all the apps I know they use on the toolbar (WPS instead of libreoffice), all the useful software for power saving, and opera, skype, cherry tree, fonts etc. Also included link on the panel to the online page for outlook with outlook icon so they know what it is. Also, the nice shiney 'pop!' icons. Basically I made it user friendly and I knew what they would need cos I work with them day to day.

Basically, they both loved it and one asked me to remove windows and just have linux (I suggested waiting until hard-drive starts to fill up as I was worried there would be some things in the future they would need).

I'm not a linux 'fan-boy' indeed, I think this is the time we need some real focus on the presentation of linux. Particularly fonts, kerning etc. Also, I know some Linux OSs are working towards systems that are 'windows like' but I believe more effort can be done on this. Truth is, once someone gets into linux they can play with desktops etc.. I'm hoping MATE will always be around as for me it is the most productive DE. But getting someone in to linux in the first place often does still requires a linux geek to set up their friends computer. For example, I KNOW that libre-office is better than WPS (I keep it on my computer and still use it). But I routinely use WPS and I install WPS for colleagues because it is similar to modern office (which is what everyone is used to now) and has the functionality that 98% if MS office users want. You put Libre-Office in front of a windows user now and they'll laugh, just because of presentation.

I guess there is an argument of, why encourage people to linux? Well, for me, it's so we can get better driver support and more software. I personally believe the MS cost model is coming to an end - basically the cost model they're adopting is shifting more towards Canonical 'support model' but hasn't quite made it. Thing is, can linux really fill that gap, or will windows simply become more linux like (maybe even go open source).

Any thoughts? i.e. (1) what can linux do to capitalise on windows floundering (2) should we even try to get more users? (3) should there even be advertising, and if so.. how would this be funded/cost effective? (4) are competitors tending more towards linux model (open source, free software, commercial support fees)?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: People's legitimate Win 10 Pro systems are being disabled...

Post by xenopeek »

Topic's merged as they are about the same news.

Previous discussion Microsoft to drive even more users to Linux with DesktopAsAService may also be of interest here.
philotux

Post by philotux »

Settings > Update & Security > Activation and then select Troubleshoot to run the Activation Troubleshooter to try to restore correct Activation status.
The steps above seem to have resolved the issue for some of those affected.

https://www.zdnet.com/google-amp/articl ... -resolved/
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Is this the opportunity Linux has been waiting for

Post by Portreve »

ud6 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:03 amI guess there is an argument of, why encourage people to linux?
“The last crime is the greatest treason:
To do the right deed for the wrong reason.”
— T.S. Elliot, Murder In The Cathedral

Most people will never switch unless, as Linus Torvalds has said, GNU+Linux starts coming bundled on PCs everywhere. For my part, I'm not interested in asking people to consider switching for superficial reasons, and I doubt most people know enough to be won over by philosophical arguments.
Any thoughts? i.e. (1) what can linux do to capitalise on windows floundering (2) should we even try to get more users? (3) should there even be advertising, and if so.. how would this be funded/cost effective? (4) are competitors tending more towards linux model (open source, free software, commercial support fees)?
This may become irrelevant in any event since likely we're heading on a path towards people using tablets and smartphones more than regular computers.

ud6

Post by ud6 »

Portreve wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:18 pm This may become irrelevant in any event since likely we're heading on a path towards people using tablets and smartphones more than regular computers.
I guess I felt that for a while.. mostly because of lower power usage, no necessity for fans, and portable.. but despite them being immensely popular, they just don't have the flexibility of a PC. Even when using WhatsApp, I prefer typing it on my computer with a keyboard eh eh eh.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

ud6 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:03 amI guess there is an argument of, why encourage people to linux?
“The last crime is the greatest treason:
To do the right deed for the wrong reason.”
— T.S. Elliot, Murder In The Cathedral

Most people will never switch unless, as Linus Torvalds has said, GNU+Linux starts coming bundled on PCs everywhere. For my part, I'm not interested in asking people to consider switching for superficial reasons, and I doubt most people know enough to be won over by philosophical arguments.
This may become irrelevant in any event since likely we're heading on a path towards people using tablets and smartphones more than regular computers.

Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

ud6 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:35 pm
Portreve wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:18 pm This may become irrelevant in any event since likely we're heading on a path towards people using tablets and smartphones more than regular computers.
I guess I felt that for a while.. mostly because of lower power usage, no necessity for fans, and portable.. but despite them being immensely popular, they just don't have the flexibility of a PC. Even when using WhatsApp, I prefer typing it on my computer with a keyboard eh eh eh.
I guess the main reason I brought that point up is most people out there are not like us on this message board or any of a dozen or even several dozen other message boards. Most people are not technology enthusiasts; they are people for whom technology is simply a ubiquitous part of life like a telephone or a television set or a toaster or city water and sewer, etc. Honestly, most people don't give a crap how anything happens; they simply want to achieve the end result, and have little interest in the tools used to do this.

At this point, there are more people using smartphones and tablets to send and receive communications of a instant message type nature, of an email nature, or of a multimedia nature, than there are people doing this only, or even primarily, on a computer. Given that, most people that I have seen would prefer not to add anything extra to there technological possessions if they could possibly avoid it. Moreover, notwithstanding people buying expensive flagship smartphones, they want their computers as cheap as they can get them. If that were not the case, it is highly likely that Google's Chrome thin client concept would never have become successful.

To the point raised earlier about promoting "Linux", in the first place, that is only the name of the kernel, not the name of the entire operating system ecosystem. In the second place, the various smart devices people are using in the majority already run the Linux kernel, so therefore it is not unreasonable to claim that "Linux" has already won. What has not won, on the other hand, is a nominally GNU+Linux distribution. Insofar as that eventuality is concerned, while I would support it with every fiber of my being, I am not naive enough to believe it will ever actually happen because, as I said above, it would require a level of interest and concern for technology and certain philosophical factors which is beyond the scope of most people's level of mentality or, as rude as this may be, intelligence.

lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Thought Bubble! If, as seems likely, more and more people use their tablets and smart phones, will the computer, as we know it, become a tool for the "experts" and there will be a job for the traditional "typist" for the more extensive typing tasks that would be a right pain on a tablet.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

lsemmens wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:53 pm Thought Bubble! If, as seems likely, more and more people use their tablets and smart phones, will the computer, as we know it, become a tool for the "experts" and there will be a job for the traditional "typist" for the more extensive typing tasks that would be a right pain on a tablet.
It wouldn't surprise me in the least.

gm10

Post by gm10 »

lsemmens wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:53 pm Thought Bubble! If, as seems likely, more and more people use their tablets and smart phones, will the computer, as we know it, become a tool for the "experts" and there will be a job for the traditional "typist" for the more extensive typing tasks that would be a right pain on a tablet.
Well, with voice recognition so performant and available in all these devices I wouldn't bet on the job security of the "traditional typist", either. Instead of dictating for the typist I can just dictate directly to the device and have my text on screen immediately.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

gm10 wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:43 am...........................
Instead of dictating for the typist I can just dictate directly to the device and have my text on screen immediately.
...somehow this brought to mind the following picture... :D :mrgreen:
"s/.*/\'&\',/" -e '$ s/.$//'|tr -d '\n'|sed 's/.*/[&]/')"
quotation mark quotation mark es slash dot glob slash backslash apostrophe comma slash quotation mark space hyphen e space apostrophe dollar-sign space es slash dot dollar-sign slash slash apostrophe pipe ti ar space dash di space apostrophe backslash en apostrophe pipe sed space apostrophe es slash dot globe slash bracket ambersand bracket slash apostrophe...
gm10

Post by gm10 »

thx-1138 wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:19 am
gm10 wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:43 am...........................
Instead of dictating for the typist I can just dictate directly to the device and have my text on screen immediately.
...somehow this brought to mind the following picture... :D :mrgreen:
"s/.*/\'&\',/" -e '$ s/.$//'|tr -d '\n'|sed 's/.*/[&]/')"
quotation mark quotation mark es slash dot glob slash backslash apostrophe comma slash quotation mark space hyphen e space apostrophe dollar-sign space es slash dot dollar-sign slash slash apostrophe pipe ti ar space dash di space apostrophe backslash en apostrophe pipe sed space apostrophe es slash dot globe slash bracket ambersand bracket slash apostrophe...
Don't we all dictate our your source code? That way you can blame any bugs on the typist. :P :lol: :lol: :twisted:
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Now I know how the word Windows came about :mrgreen:
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Last night I was bored so I downloaded the VM for Windows 10. I noticed you could try out Photoshop CC for 7 days. I looked to see how much it would cost to buy the program. Appears you can't :roll: You have to pay a monthly or yearly fee. They can SHOVE that
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Yeah - you can expect a whole lot more of that "You have to pay a monthly or yearly fee".
- - it's going to more common, as the years roll by .. ..
:roll:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Pierre wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:54 am Yeah - you can expect a whole lot more of that "You have to pay a monthly or yearly fee".
- - it's going to more common, as the years roll by .. ..
:roll:
Guess I need to learn how to use my camera better LOL :mrgreen:
ud6

Post by ud6 »

thx-1138 wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:19 am quotation mark quotation mark es slash dot glob slash backslash apostrophe comma slash quotation mark space hyphen e space apostrophe dollar-sign space es slash dot dollar-sign slash slash apostrophe pipe ti ar space dash di space apostrophe backslash en apostrophe pipe sed space apostrophe es slash dot globe slash bracket ambersand bracket slash apostrophe...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

actually ud6 mirosour threw out the idea of windows as a service after a HUGE amount of push back, and now with the huge push for privacy microsour would be slitting their own throats if they tried it.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

You mean you don't have to swap something in the machine, like maybe a memory module, to trigger the need to reactivate? :roll:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Open Chat”