Usernames

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Usernames

Post by lsemmens »

It has occurred to me that there are many weird, and wonderful, usernames in use here. How did you choose yours, and why?

Mine is just a contraction of my name Leigh Semmens, I have enough trouble remembering a myriad of passwords without having to remember a new name for each account to which I subscribe.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Usernames

Post by all41 »

Mine simply implies All for One, which seems to be a binding philosophy in this forum.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

Mine's the fantasy football team name me and a buddy came up with. Since AJ Green was one of our star players...yeah. 619 is the area code, representing San Diego county.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

My wife's nickname on IRC was (and still is) Eenie when we met 21 years ago. I soon became MrEenie. Can't remember the reason for the contraction.
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

aim, icq, what, yahoo was some new fancy created thing? They wouldn't register the nick Scott. :shock:
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

the Kennel name of my Italian Spinone is Tenfoot Albert Jordan and is also the name of a road in the small township of Taupiri in New Zealand.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Moem is the Dutch name for Moomin, a character from a book series that I've loved since I learned to read. Moomin is a curious, friendly little fellow who looks like this:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

Captain Kirk's Chair.

The genesis of all command decisions emanate from there.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

When I (re)signed up here, I was watching reruns of Hogan's Heroes, so I made my user name Schultz, after the character Sergeant Schultz.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

Schultz wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:31 pm When I (re)signed up here, I was watching reruns of Hogan's Heroes, so I made my user name Schultz, after the character Sergeant Schultz.
One of the greatest characters ever!
heavy metal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by heavy metal »

Mine?, you guessed it right, for the music that I love the most, also because of the canadian-american animation movie "Heavy Metal" which I love very much!

Heavy Metal Movie: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082509/ and here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_Metal_(film)
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.
LMDE 6 on a Panasonic ToughBook CF-C1 Laptop.
Bodhi Linux 7 on a HP Compaq DC5750 Small Form Factor PC.
Windows 11 on a Intel DH55TC PC.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Mine is derived from 2 different sources..."DAMIEN", i originally had named my computer during my early windows days since i had quickly come to believe that that it was absolutely possessed and evil with the inexplicable things it would do and not in control by its owner at all, [some things never change],...DAMIEN was the "antichrist" in the "Omen" movie and so a very apt name for my computer system, and "1307" was simply a year in history when the "Order of the Knights Templar" were outlawed and almost wiped out by "King Phillip the Fair" of France and Pope Urban the 2nd on "friday the 13th" [hence just another day considered "evil" by the superstitious, this is where friday the 13th originally came from], in october of the year 1307, because they were both in debt up to their eyeballs with the Templars who were at that time, richer than either the Vatican or the French King...[guess this is what you did then since there were no bankruptcy laws at that time], this also is alluding to my Masonic status at the time of being "Commander of the Commandrie of Knights Templar".
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I'm a stranger (xeno-) that takes a short look (-peek) at problems to try and help. Or some reasoning like that; it's been a few years since I settled on it.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Maybe back in the old days I wouldn't have cared so much about online safety, but these days I try never to expose my real name online, if possible.

I decided I would deliberately pick a character who is an enigma, and in reality a disguise of someone who's mindset about the universe and the people in it is the complete antithesis of my own. Besides, as any actual actor will tell you, playing the baddie is so much more fun.

Portreve is a disguise used by an evil renegade Gallifreyan Time Lord known as "The Master".

For anyone who does not know about Dr. Who (and the new series does not count) the Master is a sociopath who is incredibly intelligent and willing to do whatever is necessary to accomplish his goals, no matter how many others he has to use, step on, or put to the sword to achieve.

What is depicted in the new series is unworthy of who the character truly is. Then again, most of what's depicted in the new series is pretty unworthy, period.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
redlined

Post by redlined »

awesome thread! amongst which Moem, xenopeek, ajgringo619, Portreve and heavy metal satisfy small curiosities I had! lol (btw, heavy metal, agreed about the excellent movie- foreshadowed only by The Wall :D did they ever come out with FAKK2 though??)

my handle was a departure from my online norm (redleg used since the late 90s is a "term of endearment" for those in my past Army profession Field Artillery, from which I retired following combat in 2008), however, I first used redline years back for a precious metals forum (I'm a silver bug) as I found it appropriate to the enthusiasm and excitement of learning the "new" (then about buy/hold silver, now about Linux Mint) and I consider both primary definitions to reason why I chose it:

redline
Etymology
red +‎ line, originating with the frequent use of red pen or pencil to mark corrections on drawings and documents (1), and the red markings on a tachometer (2). (third-person singular simple present redlines, present participle redlining, simple past and past participle redlined)
(1) v. to mark a drawing or document for correction or modification.
(2) n. v., to reach or pass the maximum designed rpm of an engine (not quite at 17k rpm, but getting there :mrgreen:

indicating a no (terminal:D) fear full speed ahead approach recognizing anything I do and/or say can and will be... showing my Linux newbness and I can expect many 'red lined' edits/corrections to what I post around here (need to make a sig showing that disclaimer;)
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

My username comes from the 1977 movie about "bats" and it is titled, "NightWing". At the time I couldn't find a decent colored bat avatar so I chose another animal that hunts at night which is a barn owl.

I can't show my avatar since I don't use third party photo storage sites and this Mint forum site doesn't allow the upload of photos from one's Pictures folder in their computer.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079631/
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

I tend to drink a lot of coffee. So, I basically adopted that.
The 412 is my month and day of birth ;)

I would never divulge my real name on the internet.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

My nickname Rick Vansloneker is derived from a film character Rick von Sloneker, which I misunderstood for Vansloneker. Nobody else in the world uses this nick.
Portreve wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:42 pm... I try never to expose my real name online, if possible.
Me too. And, I don't like my real name. My nickname also sounds better in English. If it was possible I would legally change my name to Rick Vansloneker. Any resemblance between me and the film character of course is purely coincidence :wink: :lol:
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

vansloneker wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:09 pm Any resemblance between me and the film character of course is purely coincidence :wink: :lol:
So that handsome picture isn't you? Awww. *sigh* :(

:wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

I first started using the Ben Trabetere pseudonym in the 1980s when a merchant, I want to say Radio Shack, needed my name and telephone number in order to complete a transaction. That is also the time when I started giving merchants the telephone number for Time/Temperature for Fort Worth, Texas (817-844-6611).

I have used it off-and-on ever since, and I am amused at how few people notice it is a play on words (bent rabbit ear). To date, only one person has recognized the number for Time/Temperature.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022

Return to “Open Chat”