Usernames

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Usernames

Post by all41 »

BenTrabetere wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:16 pm I first started using the Ben Trabetere pseudonym in the 1980s when a merchant, I want to say Radio Shack, needed my name and telephone number in order to complete a transaction. That is also the time when I started giving merchants the telephone number for Time/Temperature for Fort Worth, Texas (817-844-6611).

I have used it off-and-on ever since, and I am amused at how few people notice it is a play on words (bent rabbit ear). To date, only one person has recognized the number for Time/Temperature.
:lol:
I would never have guessed--even looking directly at your avatar.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
rumpus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rumpus »

Rumpus was the name of my first Westie. My wife died when he was two years old and he helped me cope with my loss.
My constant companion cheering me up when I was sad, serious when needed to be and a great comfort the rest of his
life.

When I started using Linux I had no idea what to do. Then I found this forum , and with the help I received to make it work
it seemed fitting to use rumpus as a user name.....r
heavy metal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by heavy metal »

@ Rumpus, sorry you had to go through that, dogs are good company when going through difficult and sad times!
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.
LMDE 6 on a Panasonic ToughBook CF-C1 Laptop.
Bodhi Linux 7 on a HP Compaq DC5750 Small Form Factor PC.
Windows 11 on a Intel DH55TC PC.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Agreed, Those whom we love live on in our hearts forever.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

vansloneker wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:09 pm If it was possible I would legally change my name to Rick Vansloneker.
It should be. My Mum and I changed our names by deed poll when I was around 11 & I think it cost 50p.
BenTrabetere wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:16 pm I am amused at how few people notice it is a play on words
I did, before I got to the next bit of your post, but hadn't made the connection before. To be honest I find the usernames hard to read sometimes; non-standard words coupled with the small bold font & imperfect eyesight & I find it hard to distinguish individual characters ... :roll:

Mine is simply my initials with reference to one of my interests: Vintage TV. I'm one of the lucky few who have seen (& have photos of, if anyone's interested) a working 405-line NTSC color set. I used the US spelling on purpose.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Inundated
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Inundated »

I posted about it in my Introduction thread:
The name actually comes from a joke a former girlfriend and I shared ages ago. Something about someone using the word "unindated" instead of "inundated". The screen name/login name stuck over the years.
As I recall, she actually took the screen name "Unindated", which didn't stick with her past that day. I think I just kept using "Inundated" after that day, and I have used it ever since.

I have not seen or talked to her for a LONG time.
LAPTOP: HP - Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon via SSD with Windows 11 on hardware
DESKTOP: Lenovo ThinkCentre M83 SFF- Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (on hold for now)
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

My idea for my username was that the name should be impossible to write and say. :lol:
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I pronounce it admini-strollaa-ttori. Don't ask me to spell it from memory though :lol:
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

My last name is Pugh so everyone started calling me Pepe ... Pepe LaPew ... I usually use Pepi because Pepe is used by an other
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

administrollaattori wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:36 am My idea for my username was that the name should be impossible to write and say. :lol:
I always thought it was a combination of the Finnish words for administrator and troll. But now Google tells me it's not. It could have been Swedish though.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

vansloneker wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:41 pm
administrollaattori wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:36 am My idea for my username was that the name should be impossible to write and say. :lol:
I always thought it was a combination of the Finnish words for administrator and troll. But now Google tells me it's not. It could have been Swedish though.
Actually it does not mean anything, but it is an human feature to see words or things. :wink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattern_r ... sychology)
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

SUCCESS! :D

I tried using the advanced search on this forum to find something I knew you posted. Put the search term in, moved down to Author ... aww crap, now I have to search through the whole forum to find the spelling for THAT. :lol:
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

I've seem this thread on the "Active topics" list for the past few days but only today took a look inside. Didn't think it would be anything of interest to me, but found that this is the very kind of thing I find fascinating. My user name is my given name and my late father's given name. I chose this because I am not clever enough to think up anything with more meaning, so I've used it on this and a few other forums.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Neil Edmond wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:58 pm I've seem this thread on the "Active topics" list for the past few days but only today took a look inside. Didn't think it would be anything of interest to me, but found that this is the very kind of thing I find fascinating. My user name is my given name and my late father's given name. I chose this because I am not clever enough to think up anything with more meaning, so I've used it on this and a few other forums.
I'm with you there, Neil, it's hard enough remembering who I am without trying to remember a weird name, too. :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Mage of Maple
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mage of Maple »

When I was an undergraduate at University of Florida, we got accounts on a VAX mainframe (not Unix) and they were named after trees. The largest VAX was Maple, so I called myself Mage of Maple. I still use it 25+ years later because the username is so unusual that no matter where I go I never have to worry about it being taken ...

Post by 1.618 »

The golden ratio - as above so below, as within so wihout.......

I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hell will not overcome it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.
— Matthew 16:18–19 (NIV)
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Nothing inventive, just my nickname and initial of my father's last name.
Plons
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Plons »

I got many (not so very funny) nicknames in my youth: my familyname is Awater, so I got names like Afwaswater (Dish-water), Slootwater (Ditch-water), etc.
But 40+ years ago I got the nickname Plons (Splash) from a collegue. And I loved it :D Thanks, Arie :!:
Since then I use Plons on fora. And am still happy with it.

If I ever need a new nickname, it will be from H2G2. As a token of appreciation for the many smiles and laughs I had and still have on Douglas Adams books.

Nard
Leef met vlag en wimpel maar hou het simpel (translation: Live with flying colours but KISS)
Rampant Panda

Post by Rampant Panda »

I just love pandas. They spare no effort trying to help out with anything anyone tries to do, and they are immensely effective doing it (citation).

When I needed a domain for my webpage, I needed an adjective rarely attached to pandas, and "rampant" seemed pretty far-fetched. And it sounds cool.
HarzVieh

Post by HarzVieh »

My is in "honor" of German law for social weak, poor and not so healty people. At the time I was on PClinuxOS forum under the same Nick name, and take it with me when I come here.

Return to “Open Chat”