I am tired and I want to go to bed...

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Sorry, I am very grumpy. Why ? Because I am tired? Why am I so tired? The reason is simple: I Recently bought a new memoryfoam/coldfoam matrass. Dont know exact translation into English, but most matrasses these days are made of this material.

The problem is that now it is getting colder during winter, my matress gets harder, because it reacts to temperature. The colder it gets, the harder the matrass gets, the worse I feel after one night sleep.

I have slept all night, but I still feel tired and I wanna go to bed again, to sleep some more.

Gotta buy a new matrass again. What a Bummer.

I have found a solution to this problem though: I will buy a much softer matrass. But that creates another problem: it will wear down faster and it is much pricier... Bummer again.

Whatever happened to those good old matrasses? But I cant seem to find them anymore. Everything has become this memoryfoam stuff nowadays...
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: I am tired and I want to go to bed...

Post by Pierre »

sometimes you can get one of those foam overlays that will sit on top of the mattress ..

our overlay does help, with that hard mattress
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Maybe an electric blanket?
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

carum carvi wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:28 am The problem is that now it is getting colder during winter, my matress gets harder, because it reacts to temperature. The colder it gets, the harder the matrass gets, the worse I feel after one night sleep.
And in summer, the warmer it is, the softer the mattress gets, the deeper you'll sink into it and the hotter you'll be. Honestly... who thought that this would be a good idea?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

Sleep is over rated anyway, you will just get sleepy again.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Sleep is over-rated is true, right up to the point you do something stupid...

I sleep on a King size Air Mattress, it is the same sleeping height above the floor, as normal mattresses are setting in bed frames.

I also have a 2 inch thickness of foam between the mattress and my flannel mattress cover.
It does not change in comfort from summer to winter....
but, that might be because our home has HVAC with a smart thermostat.

Even so, the floors in my home are concrete, and they are definitely cooler in the winter time.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:06 am I sleep on a King size Air Mattress, it is the same sleeping height above the floor, as normal mattresses are setting in bed frames.
You obviously don't have any cats. :lol:
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:06 am the floors in my home are concrete, and they are definitely cooler in the winter time.
We have concrete floors too... they are warmer in the winter.
Probably because we installed underfloor heating. :mrgreen:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i remember having a waterbed in the winter. and the only thing separating you from the water was a thing layer of plastic . i'm shivering just thinking about it. didn't know this about memory foam, every commercial i hear on the radio only makes it seem like it's the best sleep you'll ever have. now i know
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

HaveaMint wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:23 pm
AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:06 am I sleep on a King size Air Mattress, it is the same sleeping height above the floor, as normal mattresses are setting in bed frames.
You obviously don't have any cats. :lol:
We have one, she is 18 years old and getting thinner, and lighter by the week :cry:

Her front paws were dethorned as a young kitten, as my daughter allowed her to go anywhere, and slept on air mattresses herself.... and it keeps her from tearing up all of the fabric furniture....
she sharpens those "paws" everyday on our couch....

when she goes, we won't get another cat for a long time, too many issues in our life right now that precludes having a cat.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

You should have had a little drink about an hour ago...
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

AZg said
when she goes, we won't get another cat for a long time
i said the same thing too when the first of two cats i had died from old age etc. getting thinner day by day, (both were feral brother and sister that were 16 yrs old), at the end of march in 2016...right after he died, i found 4 around six month old ferals living under my house so i trapped them and turned three of them over to a non-kill shelter, but there was just something i liked about the fourth so rather than giving her up to, i let her loose in the house instead...not able to pet her or anything else except feed, water, kitty liter etc. i didnt even know then if it was male or female and she was just an emaciated little thing about six months old...63 days later, there is a litter of kittens...lol...so when 8 weeks old, four of them went to the no kill shelter but i kept her favourite, (the other elderly 16 yr old sister of the one that died also died in the beginning of june 2016) so now im back to 2 rather young cats again...fast forward to may of this year, i find another 3 month old kitten at the landfill, so what did stupid do...you guessed it i took her home...the "mother" cat still doesnt let me pet her but she always sits beside me and shares my bed...her daughter loves to be petted and "tummy rubbed", and the new edition drools all over me when petted and dives under the covers...thats coming from the guy who said when the other 2 were getting old and feeble that this would be the last time...lol...i dont regret it though...they are just too much fun to have around.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

I agree,
it is NOT that we won't get another cat, it is just that with an upcoming long vacation trip planned with us living in our Toy Hauler trailer for 3 to 5 weeks, it is just not something that we want to deal with trying to train a new cat, or kitten.

it will be my daughter's last chance to go with me on longer trips with our Toy Hauler to my motorcycle rally meets.... she is taking on a new job soon.

this particular trip, we are going to Homosassa, Florida with a stop on the way down staying over a week at my son's home near Atlanta, Georgia.... probably traveling 3,000 miles plus before we get back home.... 250-300 miles/day is our limit, as 60 mph is the best safe speed for my rig.

the only thing we are sure of, is the day of the rally, everything other than that, depends on my son's job allowing him to be home at the time we go there, and on the sight seeing things we want to take in on the trip going, and coming back. We live in northern Oklahoma north of Tulsa.....

our tow rig is a 1/2 ton 4x4 Suburban which is not an ideal tow rig for a 9,000 lb travel trailer.
so, we take it slow, and quit about 3 PM each day to set up and just rest, or sight see the area around our stops.

Here is my little Piaggio MP3 scooter in the garage, tied down and ready to go.

and here is a view of the trailer and Suburban at my Aunt's home in southern Oklahoma.
She has two RV parking slots for family to come and visit.... they have 10 acres fenced in for dogs.

The rig looks like the rear of the Suburban is a tad bit low.... that was taken on our way home from Austin, Texas where we bought the trailer, and before I got the Suburban properly set up with air bags in the rear, and the Equalizer Bars properly adjusted. it is perfectly level these days, and tows like a dream on 'level ground'... the little 5.7 liter gas engine just is not up to towing up steep grades.
I really rue the day, that I allowed my diesel 1 ton dually truck get away from me.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Half ya luck AZgl1500, I would love that sort of rig, but, SWMBO is not well enough to travel like that any more. We did have a van when our kids were little, We lived in it for a couple of months whilst travelling. I purchased another when I "retired" but, sadly, it did not get the use owing to her health. I'm not too sure of the Piaggio though, I wouldn't feel comfortable on something so small. (i.e. under powered) If I am on the road, I want something with a bit of grunt to get out of the way of murderous tin tops. :D
Fully mint Household
Faust

Post by Faust »

carum carvi wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:28 am .....
The problem is that now it is getting colder during winter, my matress gets harder, because it reacts to temperature. The colder it gets, the harder the matrass gets, the worse I feel after one night sleep.
Try this :-

boot the mattress , open a terminal and post the results of

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
But joking aside , buying a mattress is a very serious business ; you're probably going to spend a third of your life on it !
I'm speaking as one who now has ancient motorbike injuries coming back to haunt them
( and they seemed so trivial at the time .... ha ! )

Everyone kept telling me that memory-foam was the answer , so I asked family and friends , and I slept on one a few times
.... definitely not for me !

On that occasion , there was no cash outlay to get wise about memory-foam , but I DID buy an expensive futon that I don't like much ....
..... people tell me that it looks great , but I didn't buy it as an ornament .
Still searching ....
:mrgreen:
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

For years we swore by the waterbed. You can get heaters for them, so you don't freeze in winter. I now have a quality innnerspring that I'll not part with readily. WIfe uses a Latex mattress but. You should still be able to get a decent mattress, problem is, they ain't cheap.
Fully mint Household
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Mattresses aren't made entirely of memory foam; at least, I've never heard of such a thing. That is just a top layer, whether permanently mounted or not. Sam's Club sells a number of mattresses, and one of which, which I think is about $400, has caught my eye as a next mattress purchase.

If I don't get an absolute minimum of 6-7 hours a night regularly of sleep, my mental functioning is significantly impacted. I can go a night, maybe two, where I run a bit short, but much beyond that and I'm shot.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

My biggest problem is laying in one place for more than 2 or 3 hours, I wake up with muscles hurting.

I swap between my bed and the living room recliner at least twice a night.
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Pierre wrote:

"sometimes you can get one of those foam overlays that will sit on top of the mattress ..
Our overlay does help, with that hard mattress "

Great tip indeed Pierre and it works rather well, because I already have a very soft overlay on top of my hard matrass.It certainly helps, but in the winter time I still feel that this one overlay isnt enough to neutralize the hard matrass underneath. I now think of buying another overlay, so I will have 2 on top of my hard matrass.

Lsemmens wrote:
"Maybe an electric blanket?"

Why havent I thought of that? Great idea Lsemmens. Simple yet very practical. Although my initial worry would be that the warmth of an electric blanket wont penetrate deep enough into the very big hard matrass. But I can experiment with that...

Lsemmens wrote:
"You should still be able to get a decent mattress, problem is, they ain't cheap."

That's right on the money Lsemmens!

Portreve wrote:
"Mattresses aren't made entirely of memory foam; at least, I've never heard of such a thing. That is just a top layer, whether permanently mounted or not."

That's correct Portreve. Unfortunately finding one without any memoryfoam in it for a decent price is near impossible nowadays and it is the CHEAP memoryfoam part that becomes so hard I cant sleep well anymore. The alternative is to buy a more expensive one, that will be softer.
But those softer matrasses will deteriorate much quicker.
Last edited by carum carvi on Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

HaveaMint wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:22 am Sleep is over rated anyway, you will just get sleepy again.

That 's a good one. Gave me a good laugh. But honestly I think sleep is very much underrated. Just as Azgl1500 said, sleep is very much overrated until someone does something stupid. Some of the nuclear disasters in the world were caused by humans who suffered from sleep deprivation. Traffic accidents are another well known side effect of having not enough sleep. Sleep deprivation equals drunkenness in reaction tests.

But the "you will just get sleepy again" is a very true remark HaveaMInt, which brings me to the subject of sleep researchers. There are professors in several countries who do nothing else but to study sleep disorders. I find these books about sleep research fascinating. One quote by a professor I will never forget. He said that all they have discovered in all these decades of sleep research is that the only thing that sleeping actually achieves, is to only fulfill the need to sleep. Read that again and think about it for a while...

That professor's quote has a lot of truth in it and it really shows that sleep researchers still dont know diddly squad WHY we have to sleep. Every animal does it. Plants do it. But why? There are lots of interesting theories, but basically sleep researchers still dont understand the reason why we HAVE TO sleep, very well.

Some people want less sleep in order to perform more during the waking hours. More hours in a day, when there is less sleep, that idea. The following is a true story. One guy decided to test if he could sleep less every day. He got so overwhelmed by sleep however that he couldnt keep his eyes open. What did he do? He glued his eyelids with tape so his sleepy eyes wouldnt fysically be able to close. Did it work? Naah, but he did get one massive eye infection...

Return to “Open Chat”