Testing Satellite Internet service

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Testing Satellite Internet service

Post by AZgl1800 »

from midnight at 00:01 Wed 11/14 thru about noon,
my AT&T DSL service had more than 25 outages.....

I had been talking with a ViaSat rep for a couple of weeks, and somehow, he heard my inner sense fuming really bad... I was really upset that we had almost zero internet....

he called me right at noon and asked if I would be home this evening....
and that led to him installing a portable Sat station in my back yard.....

at 7 PM, I logged into the ViaSat's WiFi and there has not been a single miscue since.
the speeds are running comparable to what I had, but this test station was pushed into "cap limits" earlier just before it was removed from another customer's home ( they installed a permanent sat station for that guy)

so, I am only getting 20 Mbps down right now, but compared to what I had before, it is golden....

the rep is bringing me out a fresh Sat modem tmw morning to replace the one I have now...
then I should be getting the package that I wanted to test:
25 down, and 5 up.....

so far, so good......
DirecTV had a couple of sparkles on the screen today, there were some ice storms in the area, but the ViaSat internet never missed a beat.

will be giving some updates as I get some good test data.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Testing Satellite Internet service

Post by all41 »

I have been on viasat for almost two years. I have a 12mb plan with 150gb data cap.
Mostly daytime speeds are 15 to 20 mb/s (more than what I pay for)
During prime time this slows considerably--sometimes less than 3 mb/s--but this works for me because of my off prime usage.
I hate the 620ms latency though.
Hoping for low earth orbital service sometime in the future.
Like you--I live beyond the tulies, and beyond the sticks--and no reasonable alternatives.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

all41 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:14 am I have been on viasat for almost two years. I have a 12mb plan with 150gb data cap.
what's the charge for that plan. 150GB a month? i don't see why companies cap data services for cellphones and internet through satellites. it's like paying for TV but you can only have it on 8 hrs a day or pay extra. the data caps are selfish work of no net neutrality
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

trytip wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:20 am
all41 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:14 am I have been on viasat for almost two years. I have a 12mb plan with 150gb data cap.
what's the charge for that plan. 150GB a month? i don't see why companies cap data services for cellphones and internet through satellites. it's like paying for TV but you can only have it on 8 hrs a day or pay extra. the data caps are selfish work of no net neutrality
data caps are selfish work of no net neutrality
careful--this sounds politically charged :lol:

I pay 89 usd/mo and some change. This includes onsite service which is about 8 usd/mo.
This plan is not offered everywhere. It's way more data than I am currently using.
During the day I can download a song in a couple seconds
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

the plans have changed in the last month or so.

Currently, the lowest level is Bronze and 25 Mbps down,
I was told that they upgraded everyone to that plan for the prices you are paying,
that is only equitable...

it seems that their webpages keep changing back and forth,
https://www.exede.com/plan-results/plat100/

that showed me Bronze at 25 mps, and Silver at 25 mpg about 3 days ago...
the difference being the data caps during prime time.

the only way you can get an accurate rate, is to contact the local representative...

at the moment, my daughter is watching a Netflix and this is the rate that I have right now.
it is 12:49 a.m. CST here

I'm not sure if this should be considered representative of what I should get, as the modem I have at the moment is the one the prior Test Customer slammed so hard, he downloaded 290gBytes in one day ( yesterday ) .... and the modem is currently in Data Cap mode...

the rep is going to give me a fresh modem Tmw morning.

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

From your link:

Evidently they are no longer accepting new subscibers in my area.

"Service Not Available In Your Area
Viasat satellite internet is unavailable in 63954.

Due to strong demand, new installations have been suspended in your area. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Try a different location?
While Viasat is not currently available in your area, we're headed your way with super-fast services soon!"

Perhaps they no longer sell more than they can deliver.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I'm glad this sort of service exists, and it's nice to see it's reasonably decent.

That said, I'll repeat a point I've made before: there will come a point when people will no longer be willing to live in remote areas (or even non-remote ones) where there is no, or no decent, conventional Internet service, just like people do not generally choose to live where there is no electricity or other utilities.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I tried satellite internet a few years back here in the UK. At the time our broadband connection was < 1MB, often about 100k. The satellite was supposed to be 25MB, but I found the latency a real killer - this made it feel almost as slow as the broadband through the phone line. Probably okay if streaming video, but on a site fetching multiple images from different sites...

Once the contract ran out, I didn't renew it. Fortunately for us after five years hard work from our parish council, we benefited from the UK government's rural broadband scheme and got decent broadband, +30MB. I count us lucky.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

all41 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:44 am
data caps are selfish work of no net neutrality
careful--this sounds politically charged :lol:
I pay 89 usd/mo and some change. This includes onsite service which is about 8 usd/mo.
This plan is not offered everywhere.
i pay $10 USD with a 1TB cap on a 10Mbps service which is not a cap but a limit for my discount. if i go over 1TB a month i'll be charged the regular $50 which used to be $37 4 years ago (This plan is not offered everywhere). i have to fight every year for a better contract/discount but i shouldn't have to. every year i see prices hiking and every year i see privacy policies being exploited and more in between the lines sneaky loops imposed on users by ISP companies.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

trytip wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:38 pm
i pay $10 USD with a 1TB cap on a 10Mbps service which is not a cap but a limit for my discount. if i go over 1TB a month i'll be charged the regular $50 which used to be $37 4 years ago (This plan is not offered everywhere). i have to fight every year for a better contract/discount but i shouldn't have to. every year i see prices hiking and every year i see privacy policies being exploited and more in between the lines sneaky loops imposed on users by ISP companies.
What service is this, and having to fight for rates? is that with just the one provider, or are you changing providers, and in what state/country?
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

AZgl1500 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:43 pm
trytip wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:38 pm
What service is this, and having to fight for rates? is that with just the one provider, or are you changing providers, and in what state/country?
California AT&T Access program (i believe it will end in 2020) https://www.att.com/shop/internet/access/#!/ you need to be on SSI or SNAP, i don't know what snap really does. there may exist discount programs in every state, but they don't advertise these and they don't offer it unless you ask for discounts. ( you didn't hear it from me , so please don't refer to me or where you heard it)

i meant before i knew of this program i was on plans they offered so i had to haggle the price and speed. EDIT: had to edit the link the other was for mobiles, i believe you can only have one discount program
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Thank you,
I found it on 'gargle' tee hee.

https://www.att.com/shop/internet/access/#!/
With at least one resident who participates in the U.S. Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
and that leaves me out.... I am on a company defined pension plan. ( strangle strangle )

and here, I find that they are honest in saying "bits per second"

Service availability and speed may vary by address. AT&T will assign you the fastest of these speed tiers available* where you live:

10 megabits per second, for $10 per month**

5 megabits per second, for $10 per month

3 megabits per second, for $5 per month

1.5 megabits per second, for $5 per month

768 kilobits per second, for $5 per month
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i can't complain and i'm very satisfied with the service. the only thing is the program won't last
other programs include California Lifeline ( may be available in your state ) https://www.cheapinternet.com/low-incom ... e-internet at lowcost some have 150gb caps
wish internet was cheap all over the world but data providers have now become like car dealerships
and that leaves me out....
being on disability or SSI or having children with low income also applies

Return to “Open Chat”