schadenfreude

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
ud6

schadenfreude

Post by ud6 »

Surely there's room here on the forums for schadenfreude? The pleasure gained from others misfortune? I'm referring of course to windows.

Seems their update to deal with random deletions of people's data has a few quirks of its own:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/AMP/2018/ ... 10_update/

I guess the team instead have been working hard getting the advertising banners into their mail software..

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsof ... il-app?amp
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Re: schadenfreude

Post by majpooper »

I don't know that other's misfortune with Windows brings me any pleasure perse but seeing how happy they are when I help them switch to linux and they no longer have to deal with the trials and tribulations of Windows does in fact bring me pleasure.

In a related matter I just finished putting Windows 8.1 in a VM, activating it with my own legal product code from when I actually had a new machine that came with Windows 8 actually that never ran Windows - I installed Linux Mint immediately. I installed it because a few friends and family members wanted to update their GPS using Garmin Express. I know there is a linux alternative but I had little success with it and these folks really wanted the updates from Garmin which they had purchased.

The whole exercise really made me realize two things;
1.) How hard and frustrating it can be dealing with a new OS. I have not touched a Windows system in years - Win7 being the last. I am sure for a Windows user installing and downloading an app is a breeze - and honestly it was not really difficult at all in this case but it was foreign and did not seem particularly safe. And getting around in Windows seemed anti-intuitive in the extreme for me after being so accustomed to cinnamon and the terminal - which is probably how a Windows user feels when they move over to linux - I get it.

2.) Just how bloated, unsecure and the blatant disregard for privacy that exists in the windows environment. 10GiB was not enough room to install an instance of Windows with one app. I have plenty of memory so that is not an issue but still had me shaking my head. The other thing I found disturbing was all the tweaks I had to find to try and turn off all the tracking and intrusiveness that is just part of being a Windows user. Luckily this OS will exist in a sand-boxed VM and only brought to life briefly a few times a year - if that - to update a three or four Garmin GPS devices.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I dual boot on my homebrew desktop with win10 (needed for my oculus rift). First thing I did was turn off automatic updates.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

ud6 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:54 pm Surely there's room here on the forums for schadenfreude? The pleasure gained from others misfortune? I'm referring of course to windows.

Seems their update to deal with random deletions of people's data has a few quirks of its own:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/AMP/2018/ ... 10_update/

I guess the team instead have been working hard getting the advertising banners into their mail software..

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsof ... il-app?amp
Zu sagen dass ich habe absolut kein schadenfreude with respect to Windows users would, frankly, be untrue. However, I have nothing but schadenfreude with respect to Microsoft's mistakes and missteps. Moreover, I have absolutely no use for them trying to suck up to the GNU+Linux community.

I can't wait for the day they're finally reduced to utter irrelevance and tossed on the junk heap of ruined and failed bad businesses.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

utter irrelevance and tossed on the junk heap of ruined and failed bad businesses.
Even Bezos predicts this for Amazon in eventuality:
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... ing-report
The bigger they are--
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
ud6

Post by ud6 »

majpooper wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:26 pm The whole exercise really made me realize two things;
1.) How hard and frustrating it can be dealing with a new OS...
+1
Because I use linux pretty much exclusively now, it really surprises me how frustrating windows actually is. Almost all of us come from windows to linux and are told 'you'll just get used to the new way of working' and we do. But swapping from linux to windows is much worse because you feel there is so much pointlessness about it for the user: bloat, antivirus, insecurity, advertising, non-sensical and overly complicated menu systems, costly software that takes ages to install and you can't try first.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

ud6 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:54 pm Surely there's room here on the forums for schadenfreude? The pleasure gained from others misfortune? I'm referring of course to windows.
Of course, nothing like that ever happens on linux, right?

Greg Kroah-Hartman <-------- points vigorously. Gesticulates.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Open Chat”