Chassis intruded!

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Ken Parkes

Chassis intruded!

Post by Ken Parkes »

For years I have switched on the power socket on the wall and my desktop has burst into life, I did a long overdue update some three weeks ago and since then I have had to also switch on the base unit and it will only fire up after about a fifteen second wait. In addition instead of the standard start up it has been scrolling through all the boot activities. an interesting and informative business which I am happy with. But for the last five days it has quickly ground to a halt displaying the attached image on the screen. When I press what I think of as the refresh button below the start button, the machine restarts and gives me the usual options of which Linux to run. Can someone offer advice please? I anticipate a catastrophic failure.

Mint 18.3 Cinnamon on AMD FX 4100 Quad-core, AMD RS780L motherboard about five years old used solely for social work. light use. Fitted new power supply at the same time.

TIA

Ken
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Chassis intruded!

Post by JeremyB »

Moved to chat as this is not a Linux support issue.
You should check all wires near the chassis intrusion detector
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Usually the tamper protection has a bios entry to enable/disable.
Try disable and see if normal boot options return
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Ken Parkes",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Can you tell us what the make and model of your computer is and the computer case if that is different?

Only a few computer manufacturers and case manufacturers have the Chassis Intrusion detection feature. You might be able to turn off Chassis Intrusion detection using Bios settings, or on the motherboard using jumpers or switches, and maybe not.

I have an ancient Dell Optiplex 780 usff (ultra small form factor) computer which has this Chassis Intrusion detection feature. It's a very small computer and whenever I remove the case cover to check the Internal components (clean fans, etc..) or to add or remove something if I do not put the computer back exactly the way it wants, I get this same message.

There is an actual push button inside my computer that presses against the side case panel and if the case is not perfectly put back together then this button is not pushed in all the way and I get that Chassis Intrusion message. You have to be very careful when opening some computer cases to not break any plastic components or dislodge cables and to see exactly how their case was meant to be opened and put back together, sometimes their manual has good instructions for this, sometimes not.

It could also be that the Chassis Intrusion detection switch is bad and needs to be replaced.
Dell OptiPlex 760 Service Manual
http://support.feelpcs.com/pc-spec/Opti ... _c_i_s.htm

Good luck... Keep us posted.

Hope this helps ...
gao_dt_4.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Note that chassis intrusion detection fires if the chassis intrusion switch ever got depressed since being reset BIOS-sides. That is, the above mention of "if the case is not perfectly put back together" is not enough: of course you're going to need to make sure that the chassis intrusion switch makes good contact (and isn't just broken) but once the case has been opened once, once the switch has been depressed once, the chassis intrusion condition remains until reset in the BIOS.

More directly to the point: your mention of the system also all of a sudden "scrolling through all the boot activities" and changed power on behaviour is undoubtedly simply saying that the BIOS options got reset to factory defaults; in turn near-undoubtedly as a result of an empty motherboard battery: replace the battery, and then go into your BIOS to configure it to the wanted/old boot behaviour (including disabling chassis intrusion detection if, as expected, your case does not feature a chassis intrusion detection switch, or resetting the intrusion condition if it does).
Ken Parkes

Post by Ken Parkes »

Apologies for being in wrong forum initially.

Thanks to all respondents. The box is an old Aries, looking at their website they don't seem to soil their hands with selling machinery any more. I had it second hand from a UK University of the Third Age branch but little is left of the original. I was not aware of the existence of chassis intrusion detectors but since I was using a Novatech kit to plug an old laptop hdd into the motherboard to try to sort out its partitions last weekend it seems a highly probable source of trouble. I've searched the BIOS and couldn't find any cid mention and voltages and temperatures look healthy so I will shut down now and poke inside tomorrow and report back.

Thanks for your input.

Ken
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Ken Parkes",

You are welcome from all of us that replied...

Keep us posted on your progress...

What Is Chassis Intrusion Detection? | Techwalla.com
https://www.techwalla.com/articles/what ... -detection
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Ken Parkes

Post by Ken Parkes »

Well I've spent the morning minutely examining the case and there is no switch, I even unscrewed the motherboard on the off-chance there might be something underneath. I've been through fifty or so pages of the motherboard user guide and the associated DVD and there is no mention of security other than setting passwords for different user levels and how to override them mechanically. I have disconnected and re-attached all cables; the only one not sitting cleanly in its socket was the sata cable for the dvd drive. I have downloaded and updated the BIOS with a 2015 release and the machine started without the chassis warning but then it does when it has been used and I restart it. The full scrolling of the OS start-up is still appearing but if it didn't I would be asking how to make it happen.
I shall have to wait and see what happens tomorrow.

Ken
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI "Ken Parkes",

If there are no chassis intrusion detection switches, or devices, then search the entire Bios to turn off any options related to this, save the bios, and reboot.

Also, check and replace the Bios (cmos) battery if need be.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress...
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

phd21 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:37 am...Also, check and replace the Bios (cmos) battery if need be....
Was going to suggest that as well.

Probably the bios has a setting for power state after power failure that could be previous, off, or on. By setting it to on it should power on when the mains gets powered.
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

Ken Parkes wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:03 pm...The box is an old Aries, looking at their website they don't seem to soil their hands with selling machinery any more...
Your image shows it has an Asus mainboard.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

vansloneker wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:27 am Was going to suggest that as well.
That would've been 3 then...
Ken Parkes

Re: Chassis intruded! (SOLVED)

Post by Ken Parkes »

Well thank you people. It did indeed prove to be a faulty Lion battery, or perhaps faulty connection. I may have disturbed it when plugging and unplugging the laptop HDD into the SATA sockets recently since it sits next to them. And yes it is an Asus board using an AMD chipset. As I said earlier most of the Aries content has been replaced.

Thank you for your help.

Ken
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Chassis intruded! (SOLVED)

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Ken Parkes",

You are welcome from all of us that replied...

Return to “Open Chat”