Oh how I love the taste of blackberries in the morning!

Chat about just about anything else
carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Oh how I love the taste of blackberries in the morning!

Post by carum carvi »

However often I have heard Agent Cooper from Twin Peaks revel about the delicious blueberry pie I unfortunately never have had the pleasure of tasting one. I do love blueberries though, but I rarely have the pleasure to find ones that are fully ripened and sweet. Therefore I do prefer the taste of BLACKberries above the BLUEberries, especially when the BLACKberries are fully ripenend and almost melt in my mouth. I am from Europe and it's wintertime overhere but I found a store that produces them with the same excellent sweet taste as if it were summertime! Oh how I love the taste of blackberries in the morning!

I am curious if there are other fruit lovers on this forum. I love to start my day with fresh fruit. Pineapple, Mango and over ripe bananas (with little speckles on it) are other favorites. But I must confess that I love ALL fruit PROVIDED it is ripe. I have tasted fruit that I had never eaten in my whole life before, with names I cant even rememeber, yet when fruit, whichever fruit, is really ripe and mature, I just LOVE IT!
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Oh how I love the taste of blackberries in the morning!

Post by xenopeek »

Blueberries are still enjoyable here but they're not very environment friendly as currently they come from Peru or Africa (I'm in Europe). They also taste better when they come from my own country during season. I also like blackberries and raspberries but the former right now are too sour for my taste. Persimmon are available now and those are quite good and easily ripen at home. Mandarin are also quite good, with the sweet and seedless clemenules variety from Spain available currently here.

As for bananas, I like those as well but they shouldn't be too ripe for me. Mango's seem to be: I either buy and they don't ripen at all or they're overripe before I get them home :P For pineapple's I wouldn't know when is the season to buy them that they are good and frankly I prefer easier to eat fruits.
Mage of Maple
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mage of Maple »

I love blueberries and they are high in anti-oxidants. Also, you absorb the anti-oxidants better if you pair them with yogurt, so I make smoothies with blueberries and yogurt (plus apple juice, orange juice, a fresh banana, milled flaxseed, and oat bran, and occasionally other fruit if I have some lying around.)

The small, wild blueberries are better than the large ones. My wife tells me that in Russian they aren't even called the same thing. They are considered different berries with different names. In my local grocery store we have frozen wild blueberries from Maine. (Frozen may not be best for some things but for use in a smoothie it works just fine.)
Ken Parkes

Post by Ken Parkes »

Blueberries seem to be available year round in the UK now - great way of helping global warming. I think they are over-rated. We are still eating home Blackberries and Apples from our own trees, puréed and frozen, wonderful, and slightly less help for global warming :)

Ken
BenTrabetere
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BenTrabetere »

I am fortunate to live in an area where several fruit-bearing plants will grow and have a yard big enough for me to grow some of my favorites. I have several blueberry bushes, one producing pear tree and a couple more that should start bearing fruit next year, a mayhaw tree, three 30-ft muscadine trellises, and a satsuma tree. I also have “take it all” access to my neighbor's persimmon tree and quince tree.

I also have two beautiful peach trees that are a constant source of disappointment, and several huckleberry and elderberry bushes that I leave for the birds.

I once had a strawberry plot and two large stands of blackberry bushes, but it got to the point where the reward was too much trouble, effort and discomfort and I adopted a ‘mow early, mow often’ approach to their management.

I enjoy fresh fruit off the vine/bush/tree whenever it is in season, but most of my harvest is frozen, canned, turned into jelly or jam, or otherwise processed.
carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

xenopeek wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:48 pm
I also like blackberries and raspberries but the former right now are too sour for my taste. Persimmon are available now and those are quite good and easily ripen at home. Mango's seem to be: I either buy and they don't ripen at all or they're overripe before I get them home :P For pineapple's I wouldn't know when is the season to buy them that they are good and frankly I prefer easier to eat fruits.
That's the thing Xenopeek, I have found excellent sweet fresh blackberries at AH (not the frozen ones). Never tasted those fresh blackberries with so much flavor before. Even in wintertime they taste really lovely. Expensive though, but I allow myself that treat once a week. :D

As far as mango's are concerned: AH has eatripe mangos for sale. They are almost always perfectly sweet and ripe. And the great thing about pineapples is that they seem to be in season all year round. Pineapple gives me almost half a kilo of vitamine rich fruit for less than 1.75 euro. But it is a mess peeling it. Not as handy as those lovely ripe bananas...
carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

BenTrabetere wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:44 pm
I am fortunate to live in an area where several fruit-bearing plants will grow and have a yard big enough for me to grow some of my favorites. I have several blueberry bushes, one producing pear tree and a couple more that should start bearing fruit next year, a mayhaw tree, three 30-ft muscadine trellises, and a satsuma tree. I also have “take it all” access to my neighbor's persimmon tree and quince tree.
Lucky you BenTrabetere! I can only dream of such a paradise. Nothing tastes better than fresh fruit directly picked from your own tree.

What an amazing variety of exotic sounding trees you have! I did google all those wonderful names. Here is what I found particular delightful: "the fruiting Mayhaw tree, that is known to be the producer of berries - the fruit from which Mayhaw Jelly is made, that many gourmet cooks claim is the world's best flavored jelly".
Akkla
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Akkla »

I love grapefruits

Return to “Open chat”