Problem with old cupboard hinge

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
jollyjack
Level 4
Level 4

Problem with old cupboard hinge

Post by jollyjack »

My friend has an old kitchen. The cupboards above the worktop are built from brick or similar, and the doors are lay-on. The hinges attache to the brick via wallplugs. One has come loose. In theory, all I have to do is dismantle the hinge, replace the wallplug, and re-assemble. The probelm is, the hinge does not want to be dismantled.

This is how I think the hinge works.
download/file.php?mode=view&id=45621

And, this is it in situ:
download/file.php?mode=view&id=45622

There's not much space to work on it. Mole wrench and gas pliers don't work - there's not enough room to get a good grip. Heat's possible, but would make a mess - the next door is very close. Is there a penetrating oil that works?

I could rip it off the wall and make good, but that's the last option. (Besides, I've tried and it doesn't want to be ripped....)

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Problem with old cupboard hinge

Post by MrEen »

Any chance of jamming toothpicks into the hole? Can't tell from the image.
jollyjack
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jollyjack »

@McEen, not really. It's hidden by the ring screw. Besides, the door is very heavy, so everything has to be solid.
Cheers
stormryder

Post by stormryder »

You can try a penetrating oil such as WD-40 but if the corrosion is in the threads it may take a while to work, if it works at all. Give it an hour at least to soak into the threaded area. You may even hit it with the oil a few times throughout the day and let it soak in overnight.

If you decide to use heat maybe pick up a small butane pen torch, they've got a tiny flame about 1/4 inch by 3/4 and would work well to heat the metal without damaging the surrounding material. You can slip some foil behind the hinge to help protect the paint.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butane_torch
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Here's a penetrating product review video on YouTube you might be interested in:

Project Farm: Which Penetrating Oil is Best? Let's find out!
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

IF 'twere my place I'd be trying the "pry it off the wall trick and then filling the hole with a suitable mortar and starting the instal over again. If it's a rental, then, get the landlord to fix it.

Like the hinges BTW. :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

I understand you are trying to unscrew the end finials. If it is at all possible then vise grip locking pliers should work.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
jollyjack
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jollyjack »

@stormyrider - I might try a micro torch like that.
@portreve - thanks for the link - I'll go and see if they recommend anything.
@isemmens - I'm loth to prise it off - it will make a lot of mess, and possibly cause serious damage (eg to the brick).
@GS3 - the problem is, the hinge is very close to the wall. It's difficult to get a really strong grip with anything.

My plan is to soak it in penetrating fluid for a few days, heat it with a micro torch, THEN try molegrips and gas pliers. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks for all the suggestions
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

jollyjack wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:12 am@GS3 - the problem is, the hinge is very close to the wall. It's difficult to get a really strong grip with anything.
Have you used those locking pliers? With the tip they will grab the tube even if it is touching the wall and with such force that it will not slip. Now, if it is very close or even touching the wall then you can only turn a small angle before you need to release and lock again.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

The only problem I foresee using ANY vice grips. pipe wrenches etc is possible damage to the nut/bolt being undone.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Have you contacted Mother Hubbard about the cupboard?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Mother_Hubbard
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

stormryder wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:09 amYou can try a penetrating oil such as WD-40
WD-40 is not a penetrating oil. It's just a water-displacement product that people sometimes use as a (poor) penetrating oil.

The best penetrating oil that I have ever used - or even seen tests of - is an equal mixture of automatic transmission fluid and acetone. And (at least in my country) this also seems to be the least expensive penetrating oil, too.

It does need to be shaken before using, though, because the two products will separate.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Open Chat”