New Guitar...

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

New Guitar...

Post by absque fenestris »

Are there guitar players in the forum here?
I'm looking for a new one: I could imagine a semi-acoustic one - there are such ones e.g. from Epiphone or Gertsch...
My budget is limited to max. 1000$.
The sound should be pure, bright and bell-like - by no means nasal.
Suggestions? Experiences?
rumpus
Level 4
Level 4

Re: New Guitar...

Post by rumpus »

I no longer play guitar because my hands have suffered old age, but selecting a guitar was always a question
of tone and ease of playing. I have a Yamaha acoustic 6 string that sounds as good as my Martin. And it was
1000 dollars cheaper

I always went to a large music store and played many guitars before choosing one.......r
Gruppo Sportivo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Gruppo Sportivo »

absque fenestris wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:24 pm Are there guitar players in the forum here?
I'm looking for a new one: I could imagine a semi-acoustic one - there are such ones e.g. from Epiphone or Gertsch...
Remains personal of course, but these two semi-acoustic guitars are the most precious to me the Hagstrom Super Viking Mandarin Flame and the Godin A6 Ultra HG Cognac Burst

or slightly less expensive however for that price range a good semi-acoustic guitar the Ibanez AS73G Artcore Black Flat
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Always a personal choice. I use Maton, myself, but have, over the years, owned really cheap "no name" guitars and quality acoustics. Play some, and see what you like. F'rinstance when I purchased my Maton it was love. A mate purchased exactly the same model at about the same time and, compared to mine, it is "OK". SO even instruments from the same manufacturer can sometimes be variable. Remember you are dealing with timber as a tonewood which does affect the sound. Provided there is no structural flaws, playability can be improved with a decent setup. You still can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear, though, so look around, try as many as you can, and see what you like. If you can, investigate the Carbon Fibre guitars that are now being produced, aparrently they have been receiving some good review.

FWIW I own, and play (not as often these days), a Maton CE60D, Ibanez Blazer Electric, Washburn Taurus 5str Bass along with an Ashton acoustic which is primarily for decoration. (matches the daVinci print on the wall). Over the years I have owned Yamaha, Ovation, Coronet, Suzuki, other IBanez guitars, and a few No-name 12 strings. THe last No-name 12 I bought was as a matter of urgency as I kept breaking strings and needed a backup instrument. With some major work on the action (filing frets, And even filing the Saddle down to accommodate a lower action, it became very playable. I ended giving that one to a fellow who was travelling, so I have no Idea how long it lasted. :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Thank you for all your answers.

Of course the guitar has to be tested, played and heard in the shop. But there's a lot of stress - my playing style is a bit unusual and I believe my taste in music as well.
Depending on the music shop, the salesman and the daily constitution, there can be quite a blockade...

So a little advance information and exchange of ideas in the run-up to such important decisions can't hurt :mrgreen:

Basically I play with an analog mixer over my (quite good) stereo system. Without all the effect devices the pickups sound as they are: the Korean CORT snuffs and the (cheap) WASHBURN wouldn't be bad at all, unfortunately it has a fine but very penetrating noise - I think inferior electrics...

Both guitars are old anyway and expensive renovations are certainly not worth it.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Gruppo Sportivo wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:05 pm
absque fenestris wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:24 pm Are there guitar players in the forum here?
Remains personal of course, but these two semi-acoustic guitars are the most precious to me the Hagstrom Super Viking Mandarin Flame and the Godin A6 Ultra HG Cognac Burst

or slightly less expensive however for that price range a good semi-acoustic guitar the Ibanez AS73G Artcore Black Flat
I'm afraid there's some news coming in:
Dear Customer,
Based on your location, we are unable to take you to the Guitar Center website at this time. For more information regarding the new GDPR regulations, go to...

Sometimes the Internet makes you depressed...
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

If there is such a thing as paradise, hell or purgatory: I will play my strange music to bureaucrats on my strange equipment for eternity.
Justice must be... :mrgreen:
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Of course I have looked at the proposed guitars on the internet... beyond bureaucratic hurdles.
MATON is unfortunately completely unknown here in Europe - would have liked to try it out...
GODIN, HAGSTRÖM & IBANEZ are noted - as long as the shops offer these guitars at a reasonable distance.

I am relatively surprised that the usual 2 brands have not been suggested :mrgreen:
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Just so you don't feel as though we are ignoring them Fender Acoustics do nothing for me, nor do their electrics. Gibson electrics are a lovely instrument that I would own in a minute, of course there are many other quality brands that could be mentioned.
Fully mint Household
stormryder

Post by stormryder »

absque fenestris wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:42 pm I am relatively surprised that the usual 2 brands have not been suggested
While I find my $300 fender acoustic sounds ok for what I paid, after doing some research I feel that both fender and gibson have lost site of the artistry and are just in business to make money for the stockholders.

I'm more interested in building my own but if I wasn't I'd like to try a PRS. I'll really considering getting some of their pick-ups for my next project.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

@ lsemmens :

In search of MATON guitars I have found Tommy Emmanuel in Youtube - he was absolutely unknown to me... so - many thanks for the tip.
Lately I have looked a lot over guitars, guitar tunings and guitarist in Youtube, Tommy Emmanuel has never appeared in the proposals. So much about Youtube...
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Yes, Tommy is one of our better exports, along with Jimmy Barnes and Slim Dusty (Both completely different to Tommy), Of course if you find Kylie Minogue (please keep her ;) )
Fully mint Household
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

lsemmens wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:49 pm Yes, Tommy is one of our better exports, along with Jimmy Barnes and Slim Dusty (Both completely different to Tommy), Of course if you find Kylie Minogue (please keep her ;) )
In one of his stages (2008 ?) he performanced something about aborigines and their mind and feelings - so, he do it far better - but that's the kind of my music I try to play.
Imagine this in a ordinary music shop...
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I play air guitar, but only in my spare time. I'm not very good at it and it's frequently out of tune. I actually broke the low E string on it and it's become much harder to play since then.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

I love my Breedlove
arso96

Post by arso96 »

I'm a Taylor man so naturally I'm going to say get a Taylor.

But you could also find a nice used acoustic guitar of any brand (one that speaks to you) and then put a quality pickup and preamp in it.

I'm no longer a fan of soundhole pickups although I used a Sunrise for many years in my Taylor 814C.

These days I like the K&K line. Three little sensors glue to the bridge plate right under the saddle inside the guitar. Sounds really good to me.

I just sent one to Beandip.

Maybe he has installed it by now and will chime in.

I would also suggest joining the Acoustic Guitar Forum and asking for suggestions there.
Last edited by SMG on Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed links from post.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

You should consider buying something used. There's great deals to be had if you can spot a bargain.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

You do realise that this thread is over 2 years old.....................
Fully mint Household

Return to “Open Chat”