Smart?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Smart?

Post by Arch_Enemy »

JerryF wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:41 pm I'm so glad I read this thread and found that others think as I do.

I'm 54, have been using personal computers when they first were available. I'm a trained computer tech, but...

Because people come to me for advice/help/etc. about computers and other devices, I don't want another "smart" device to have to take care of. Plus, I see what a waste of time it is to have a "smart" phone. People texting---standing at the supermarket typing away.

I have an LG flip phone that does have a camera (which I hardly use), and I can text my sister if absolutely necessary.

I like having a phone that is---get this---a phone!

I do agree with Damien:
DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:52 pm ...as an addendum here, with the constant scourge of "robo" calls, sales calls, scam calls etc, i do not even like answering the phone any longer, just leave a voice mail message...ive come to the conclusion that "alexander graham bell should have been strangled in his cradle with his own telephone cable"...lol...DAMIEN
I was a Manufacturer's Rep for over 10 years. More and more things went from call-in support (taking and closing calls, tech support, etc) to "apps" or on the company's web site or other methods. I had a BlackBerry for years, but it got too out of touch for the newer methods so I got a Nokia E61. All my other Nokias had great reception; this thing couldn't get a signal if you were sitting on the base of the tower. I finally got a Kyocera running (UGH!) Android for the final 2 years of my time with the company. While the phone was good, Android is a PITA. I positively hate it.

I no longer work for that company. I have a ZTE "Feature" phone. Talk and text and WAP browsing when I need it.

One of the cool things about Nokias, though. A lot of them have FM radios.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I have a smart phone, I use it for telephone calls. I detest text messages. What takes 10 minutes of back and forth in TXT SPK could usuall be handled with a 30 second phone call and that includes looking up the number to dial it! Even the camera only gets used for unimportant stuff, Usually for when wandering around IKEA and SWMBO suggests that this item would be useful. I take a photo of it and price tag so that we can then investigate further. THe GPS is useful for when I'm on the road but that is about it.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

carum carvi wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:21 am
absque fenestris wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:59 am Just at the moment when I wanted to let go of a rather disrespectful sentence about Swiss craftsmanship, my system crashed.
Even "without windows" you are not safe from crashes. But please let me not stop you from critizing your own country. I love citizens who like to denounce myths about their country. I have heard that one can check if somebody is truly Swiss when your train arrives three minutes late and the entire train station complains about it. In Japan the railway staff gives commuters to work an excuse in paperform for their bosses to explain why they are 5 minutes late. Trains in Japan are really smart. It seems they are too in Switzerland. I do prefer travelling by train in Switzerland though because of the magnificent vistas. Never been there, only seen it on the telly, but it is mighty gorgeous. One thing I can presume with a certainty though is that one doesnt need a smartphone to tell WHEN the trains will arrive in Switzerland, because they are as punktlich as can be....
That's true - the railways, like public transport in general, are well organised in Switzerland. That means as far as hardware is concerned - they are generally overwhelmed with software.
And unfortunately, my old Nokia's (2000 - 2004) don't work in the local networks any more... :(
The landscapes are not necessarily a local invention - they are beautiful nevertheless :mrgreen:
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

absque fenestris wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:24 pm And unfortunately, my old Nokia's (2000 - 2004) don't work in the local networks any more... :(
Yes, those new 4G networks will push out the 2G networks within a few years. Then my nokia phone wont be worth anything either anymore when they stop broadcasting in that 2G radio frequency. I guess that is what you meant by saying that the local mobile phone software in Switzerland has rendered your old nokia obsolete.

But the "NOT smart phones" are a nice niche market for mobile phone manufacturers, because there are a lot of people who just dont wanna be bothered by all the bells and whistles of a "smart"phone. There is a rather good golden oldie nokia available again, which deliberatedly hasnt joined the smartphone hype. It is a new phone that has copied the old nokia simplicity.

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/new-n ... 017-review
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

lsemmens wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:18 am I have a smart phone, I use it for telephone calls. I detest text messages. What takes 10 minutes of back and forth in TXT SPK could usuall be handled with a 30 second phone call and that includes looking up the number to dial it! Even the camera only gets used for unimportant stuff, Usually for when wandering around IKEA and SWMBO suggests that this item would be useful. I take a photo of it and price tag so that we can then investigate further. THe GPS is useful for when I'm on the road but that is about it.
I drive a lot. I can answer texts when I stop somewhere. I used to hate texts, too, now I love them!
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

Return to “Open Chat”