Brave Browser Users

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
DAMIEN1307

Brave Browser Users

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Two days ago, as simple as i can explain this is that Brave browser has changed from its "muon" way of doing things to a more "Google" like way of doing things. Google and Opera and now Brave have made changes that will prevent you from doing your regular Updates using "update manager" much in the way that last month occured, with Google Chrome and Opera Browser making changes that interfered with the update functions by changing its name in the updater as like google changing from google.inc to google.llc etc.

what you need to do is open "update manager" and then click "view" then click "software and updates" section and then remove any mention of the brave browser from the "other software" section and "authentication" section of the updater. that is because they have changed its entries that is now preventing the browser updater and hence, updates as a whole from happening.

the old way of installing brave looked like this in mint...
curl https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.br ... e-core.asc | sudo apt-key add -

UBUNTU_CODENAME=$( (grep DISTRIB_CODENAME /etc/upstream-release/lsb-release || grep DISTRIB_CODENAME /etc/lsb-release) 2>/dev/null | cut -d'=' -f2 )

echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/ $UBUNTU_CODENAME main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release-$UBUNTU_CODENAME.list

sudo apt update

sudo apt install brave-browser

The new way now looks like this. (you can look at both and see the differences). i found that the way listed below is necessary in order to have Brave browser work correctly as well as having the updater work correctly again.

Code: Select all

curl -s https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/brave-core.asc | sudo apt-key add -

UBUNTU_CODENAME=$( (grep DISTRIB_CODENAME /etc/upstream-release/lsb-release || grep DISTRIB_CODENAME /etc/lsb-release) 2>/dev/null | cut -d'=' -f2 )

echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/ $UBUNTU_CODENAME main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release-$UBUNTU_CODENAME.list

sudo apt update

sudo apt install brave-browser brave-keyring
Your Brave browser will stay the way you already have it with no reconfiguration necessary. It will just allow the "update manager" to work correctly again and im hoping that all these browser makers will stop fiddling with how the repositories work. (i think gm10 commented about this being something that happens only once in a blue moon and now this is the third time in a month now...lol)

I have already done this myself and it cured the Updater problem and will update Brave to the latest following version.

Version 0.57.18 Chromium: 71.0.3578.80 (Official Build) (64-bit).

I hope this will be of use and value to others out here...DAMIEN
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Brave Browser Users

Post by phd21 »

Hi DAMIEN1307,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Thanks for posting this for others.

FYI: Linux Mint has always had some problems with those few software packages that are installed using the developer's add repository method if they use `lsb_release -sc` in their commands because Linux Mint uses a custom Ubuntu release name that is different. Linux Mint users can just replace the `lsb_release -sc` in those commands with their respective Ubuntu base versions in lower case, see below.

Here is another way of installing the Brave browser that also works (for 64-bit systems only?).

Note: If you have already tried to install this and have problems, you may first need to remove the bad Brave browser entries.

sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser*.list
To install the Brave browser using their add software repository method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right-click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste ("Shift+Insert" or "Ctrl+Shift+v"), repeat for each command.

Step1: install their Brave browser key

curl -s https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/brave-core.asc | sudo apt-key add -
Step2: install the Brave browser software repository for your version of Linux Mint

Linux Mint 19.x is based on Ubuntu 18.04 bionic

echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/ bionic main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release-bionic.list
Linux Mint 18.x is based on Ubuntu 16.04 xenial

echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/ xenial main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release-xenial.list

Linux Mint 17.x is based on Ubuntu 14.04 trusty

echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/ trusty main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release-trusty.list
Step3: Update your system to include the new Brave software repository

sudo apt update
Step4: Install the Browse browser

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi phd21...to the best of my knowledge, i believe that the "echo" that i used is not just "bionic" specific but also will work on "xenial" and "trusty" as well...i used, $UBUNTU_CODENAME main" instead......DAMIEN
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:51 pm It will just allow the "update manager" to work correctly again and im hoping that all these browser makers will stop fiddling with how the repositories work. (i think gm10 commented about this being something that happens only once in a blue moon and now this is the third time in a month now...lol)
If indeed this is the same issue (you didn't post what in fact stopped working and how) as with Chrome and Opera, the only thing that would have been necessary is running apt update from a terminal and saying "y" when asked for confirmation.

Also, the only difference between the two sets of instructions you posted is that now additionally brave-keyring gets installed; current Brave users should be able to, if required, simply install that additionally (apt install brave-keyring).

If apt update plus manual confirm was/is not enough this is not the same issue as with Chrome and Opera.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi rene...yep...i tried that first...that didnt work in the case of Brave like it did for me with chromium and opera, so i went back to the Brave download instructions from brave and saw the differences in the various installation commands and only then did it work and then stopped preventing the update manager from working...that is the only reason why i posted this at all...DAMIEN

ps...not the only change, look at the original curl command verses the updated curl command, hence the reason why i did the whole thing again along with the sudo apt update to be sure all corrections were made. (i believe i did mention that the update manager did not work any longer) in reply to you stating i did not mention what stopped working.
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

OK. I suppose their repository key may have changed then although I don't see it mentioned at the Brave site. But anyway, if indeed the apt update wasn't enough I'm sure this will be useful to fellow Mint/Brave users...

That curl command is in fact also the same; the "-s" parameter just means curl doesn't tell you what it's doing while it's doing it...
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

that is correct...repository key did change...DAMIEN

EDIT

I did notice that one small detail will change when updating the Brave browser...though everything else remains the same with no changes, there is one exception...if you had previously blocked ALL fingerprint canvasing selected before the change, it will revert to its default of block only third party fingerprint canvasing.
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

The append flag was also removed from the tee command. That would be very important to prevent Target configured multiple times or whatnot.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

good catch there MrEen...i didnt catch that one...lol...DAMIEN
philotux

Post by philotux »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:51 pm

echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/ $UBUNTU_CODENAME main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release-$UBUNTU_CODENAME.list

sudo apt update

Hi Damien,

I just got Brave installed following the steps above. However I don't seem to be able to make it work with firejal. Do you use firejail with Brave and does it work for you? If positive, I will start a new thread to ask for help for troubleshooting

Many Thanks!
philotux
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi philtux...back a little while ago i railed against firejail because there was no real easy way to make it work with brave...so i just totally call firejail crap and garbage until they can make it easily used by everything we use in a Linux environment, not just the select few...i know that one of our contributors, fred barclay here on LM forums is one of the dev on the firejail project...not one single thing he came up with as well as any one else here on the forums could make it work for me...my blood still boils about this and makes me rant about how bad a piece of garbage this software is at the moment, which is too bad because it has really great possibilities but for now is not much good, either it just works for everything to put behind bars or it doesnt, just that simple to me...i cant be bothered with garbage software...make it work and make me a believer...better yet, someone who has Brave working along with firejail lay out explicit instructions they can prove makes it work without jumping through flaming hoops and hurdles like a trained circus dog...so sorry about the rant...i will not try anything until im told that firejail is ready for prime time...if chromium browser works in firejail but a chromium based browser like Brave cannot, and browsers being the number one thing that MUST work in firejail in my opinion and it doesnt...than its garbage and my opinion wont be changed until i see differently...DAMIEN
philotux

Post by philotux »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:55 pm ...my blood still boils about this
...DAMIEN
Oh man! I wouldn't have asked if I knew,lol.
Sorry about that :wink:
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi philtux...never be sorry to ask...lol...its just everyone and their cousin totes this as a great piece of software...i again say, if you can make it work with chromium, it should be able to automatically work with any chromium based browser such as BRAVE which is one of the better secured and at least for me right now, probably the best all around browsers available...DAMIEN
philotux

Post by philotux »

Right. I get the picture.
Thanks for your replies Damien!

cheers
philotux
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Hi everyone,
Yep, I'm afraid I'm a firejail dev. ;) About the "dev" work -- I've been contributing to it pretty steadily since early 2016 so I'm a bit attached to it... hopefully I'll be as objective as possible but apologies in advance. ;)
until they can make it easily used by everything we use in a Linux environment, not just the select few.
It's impossible to make everything easily used for ever single user case.

Brave is a moving target. They've just changed their backend from muon to blink, I believe -- a huge change on their part. Firejail was not working with the new version because of their changes, not ours. Now we have already made all known changes necessary for the new Brave to work... but we're not psychic and can't possibly fix firejail ahead of time.

Firejail also has different versions (because we do manage to fix a bug once in a while, believe it or not :lol:) and you folks who install from the repositories (a) usually have a pretty old version, (b) can't get our fixes for situations like this, and (c) can't get our fixes for situations like this.
We can get Brave fixed into the main firejail code upstream, but you might have to wait a while before the fixes make their way to you -- again, this is not something that is under firejail's control. I personally would recommend you use the PPA. It usually has the newest releases -- however, this is not technically "official". If you want to make sure you always get the latest version, you need to install directly from us.

On the other hand, we can't push out a new release for every single little bug that we fix. So even if Brave quits working, we'll always provide fixes but we probably won't release the next version of firejail just because. Other bugs need squashing too and we have to do testing, etc.
not one single thing he came up with as well as any one else here on the forums could make it work for me
The relevant Brave thread, I believe, ended with a single post from me saying I had sent a fix for your issue to firejail. I posted once, and that's the only time we've interacted about firejail, I believe. The same thread also contained someone recommending you contact me for additional help. Nothing ever came of that -- and of course, you don't have to contact me, but if you aren't going to, then I can't try to fix the issue. In fact, I'd be completely unaware of that post's existence (or this one's) if I didn't stumble across it.
(And if people don't contact software developers to let them know what is going wrong with their project, and instead just call it "garbage", then no one is happy and the software never gets fixed unless a developer happens to stumble across the exact same error.)

Although we ask that people open bug reports of ask for help on GitHub (so multiple brains can mull over the issue), I recognise that not everyone wants to open a new account on another website, so I'm always open if you want to contact me through private message. For example, I've been tracking a single firejail bug here through private messages for upward of 6 months.
someone who has Brave working along with firejail lay out explicit instructions they can prove makes it work without jumping through flaming hoops and hurdles like a trained circus dog
I will have that up for you within 2 days if you'll tell me what version of Mint you run so I can tailor the instructions to your exact needs.
browsers being the number one thing that MUST work in firejail
Agreed.
if chromium browser works in firejail but a chromium based browser like Brave cannot
But here's the key error. It's based on chromium. It's not chromium. Brave makes all kind of changes, so it's not a simple one-size-fits all solution for chromium-based browsers.
That would be like saying, if it works in Debian, but not Linux Mint, it must be the linux kernel developers' fault. No. Changes, by definition, mean there will be unintended or unavoidable consequences.
But even if it were, Brave's old UI (the 'Muon" base) was Electron-based, not chromium. Sure, there are lots of similarities, but there's another level of abstraction too. So it's no surprise that our old Brave profile doesn't work for the new Brave.

Admittedly, our documentation could use a bit of work, but that's already being worked on behind the scenes.
any chromium based browser such as BRAVE which is one of the better secured
I disagree -- and I mean absolutely no disrespect to the Brave devs. I use it myself on Windows. Brave has some new and admittedly cool features. But "new and cool" when it comes to coding usually means there are undiscovered bugs, security bugs included.
everyone and their cousin totes this as a great piece of software
Well, you know, some of do think it's great. :P :lol:

Cheers!
Fred
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Hi Fred,
firejail is working normally here using 19.1
Thanks for your inputs to this forum.
Cheers
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi fred barclay, mea culpa, mea culpa, i offer my apologies to you for calling firejail garbage because i DO know that you work hard on it...when i had the problem it was the muon version in the chromium browser on LM 19 xfce

i pretty much just abandoned the issue after reading every post, every article i could find and could find no results that would work

i stopped asking for any real help for myself on oct 16th after my original post started on oct 13th regarding a brand new router issue where i thought i was doing something wrong and got nothing but snark and hostility from an individual of whom i had the highest respect for at that time.

needless to say, i didnt get any real help or advice just a lot of what i perceived as hostility and snark and no resolution to the problem, from him or any one else so i just gave up and chaulk all up to a bad experience that i will not allow to repeat itself, (still having same issue with the new router but just living with it), and i did lose all respect for that person at that time. i decided then that i would not ask for help for myself any longer based on this situation, which i do know is not in fairness to anyone else, and i almost quit the forum at that time and indeed was quiet for about a month when i then decided to just stay here and try to just help other people as best i can instead because i really dont want new comers to run into what i did. personally i enjoy being kind and helpful for the benefit of others...its not "all about me", its about others that can use meaningful help as best as one can do.

im now running peppermint 9 almost full time now but it still is very similar to LM xfce, and have reset the Brave browser as per their straight forward instructions since the change over to blink which worked brilliantly.

i need to really keep my hand in it sort of speak because i conduct a youth group at a youth center instructing high school students in Linux to the best of my abilities and dont want them to be discouraged from joining the forum when they feel the time is right for them just because of me and i need to set the example for them. there are no computer literacy or computer science classes for the kids in our school systems so for now, im it.

so once again, my heartful apologies to you fred...i felt that you deserved a real apology and explanation from me over this...DAMIEN
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Hi Damien,
Apologies for this being so short but since yesterday I have managed to shut my finger in a car door and so can't type well w/o pain :cry: .

Thank you so much! We're good. :D What's the American expression, water under the bridge or something like that?
Would you like a guide for using firejail and Brave with Peppermint? I'll be happy to do that if it can help (but it may take a few days).

Thanks also for sticking around on the forums and for helping with that youth group! I "lurk" here a great deal more than I used to but it's always a pleasure to read your posts.

Cheers!
Fred

PS Thanks also to all41 ;)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Hi Fred and thank-you for your reply...yes, im willing to give Firejail a "go" once again, this time using "peppermint 9 OS" instead...will await your instructions...take care of your "smashed" finger, (vegemite is not a pain killer or cure),...lol...DAMIEN
philotux

Post by philotux »

Hi Fred,

First of all, thank you so much for your work on firejail and for helping the users around the forums.
I just wondered if the instructions you are working on will be applicable on Linux Mint 19 as well.

firejail --version
firejail version 0.9.56

brave-browser --version
Brave Browser 71.0.57.18 
I had actually firejail working with Brave prior to the recent changes to the browser but not anymore after the update.

Thanks!
philotux

Return to “Open Chat”