Neither ... nor, without neither.

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
DAMIEN1307

Re: Neither ... nor, without neither.

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I has a friend once that had an expression that just drove me up a wall just hearing it...it was, "not for nothing, but [fill in the blank]"...that is "THE" double negative ive never been able to make any sense of whatsoever...DAMIEN
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

majpooper wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:46 pm there are definitely official rules in English
What official body issues these official rules?
majpooper wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:46 pm and, like it or not, using double negatives is considered poor English grammar.
It is considered poor English grammar if you are using the Queen's (and my) English but there are English dialects where it is considered correct like AAVE.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

GS3 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:04 pm
majpooper wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:46 pm there are definitely official rules in English
What official body issues these official rules?
majpooper wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:46 pm and, like it or not, using double negatives is considered poor English grammar.
It is considered poor English grammar if you are using the Queen's (and my) English but there are English dialects where it is considered correct like AAVE.
U.S. Government Printing Office Style Manual - government
Modern Language Association (MLA) - Academia
Associated Press Stylebook - press

There are hundreds of English dialects all over the world - would you suggest to someone trying to learn and understand English that it was correct to say "init" for isn't it? After all it is correct in the English dialect in which it is used. Where I am from people say they are "going down the shore" I certainly would not suggest to someone learning English that that was correct even though it is correct in the dialect that I grew up with.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

What we non-native speakers of course in reality learned to be correct is a mixture of James Bond and Eddie Murphy...

Return to “Open Chat”