Radio Tray Bookmark Additions...

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Radio Tray Bookmark Additions...

Post by Portreve »

NOTE TO MODS: If this topic would fit better in another area, please feel free to move it accordingly. Thanks!

I'm in the process of learning German, and one of the things I want to do is listen to German language radio over the Internet (since that's the only way I'm able to do so) and in the course of getting things set up, I've stumbled upon the streaming app Radio Tray's bookmark file, which is how the listings in the menu are made available.

What I am thinking, and I want to know if there's sufficient community interest here for me to bother, is I'd like to post a modified version of the bookmark file which contains streams for Germany, but also whatever other countries folks here might have an interest in.

My source for this, which arguably is rather a big amount of manual labor on my part (though I don't mind) is the web site listenlive.eu. Basically, I'm going through each of the listings, downloading the associated .m3u file, opening it and grabbing the stream url (which basically is all that a .m3u file amounts to, anyhow) and then adding it to the XML-formatted bookmark file for Radio Tray, along with an appropriate label for the radio station, including what city the station is based in.

For example: German Radio > News / Talk > Deutschlandfunk (Cologne)

I would deliver this content by way of a standard code listing table here, along with my usual standard set of how-to instructions.

If anyone's interested in this, please give me some feedback here. Also, if you have other sources for these sort of streams, post it here and I'll have a look through it as well.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Radio Tray Bookmark Additions...

Post by phd21 »

Hi Portreve,

There are a few radio tray applications and many music applications that can play streaming radio stations from everywhere.

These previous posts have a lot of information.
[SOLVED] Radio Tray - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=263488&hilit=radio+tray

Cannot play online radio. GStreamer installation missing plug-in - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=256438&hilit=radiotray

If you want to improve the "radio tray" application with a better and more user configurable bookmark file, I am sure others would find it beneficial including me.

FYI: I can think of a better way to add to your bookmarks file by using a streaming application like StreamTuner2 where you can search through thousands of streaming stations from everywhere, create a favorites list and export them into various formats.

FYI-2: StreamTuner2 can integrate with radio tray...

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Hey phd21!
phd21 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:09 pmThese previous posts have a lot of information.
[SOLVED] Radio Tray - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=263488&hilit=radio+tray

Cannot play online radio. GStreamer installation missing plug-in - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=256438&hilit=radiotray

If you want to improve the "radio tray" application with a better and more user configurable bookmark file, I am sure others would find it beneficial including me.

FYI: I can think of a better way to add to your bookmarks file by using a streaming application like StreamTuner2 where you can search through thousands of streaming stations from everywhere, create a favorites list and export them into various formats.

FYI-2: StreamTuner2 can integrate with radio tray...

Hope this helps ...
Thanks for all the info. I honestly didn't know any of that, and I'll probably look into it over the weekend.

It would be nice to have a program for looking for streams. I prefer this to many places' method of imbedding some kind of player on a web page and then making it the only conduit for listening to their station. I know enough to play around with an XML-type file, but it really is awkward as to do that.

phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Portreve,

You are welcome...

Keep us posted on your progress...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

phd21 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:14 pm Hi Portreve,

You are welcome...

Well, I just had a chance to install it but it won't open. I even tried launching it via terminal and it just doesn't open. When I tried it that way, here's the output I get:

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/streamtuner2", line 12, in <module>
    import st2
  File "/usr/share/streamtuner2/st2.py", line 55, in <module>
    from config import *
  File "/usr/share/streamtuner2/config.py", line 374, in <module>
    conf = ConfigDict()
  File "/usr/share/streamtuner2/config.py", line 85, in __init__
    self.defaults()
  File "/usr/share/streamtuner2/config.py", line 116, in defaults
    "audio/mpeg": self.find_player(),
  File "/usr/share/streamtuner2/config.py", line 179, in find_player
    if find_executable(bin.split()[0]):
  File "/usr/share/streamtuner2/compat2and3.py", line 72, in find_executable
    exists = [os.path.exists(dir+"/"+bin) for dir in os.environ.get("PATH").split(":")+["/"]]
NameError: name 'os' is not defined
Maybe you or someone here might know what to do about that, because I haven't a clue.

redlined

Post by redlined »

hi Portreve and phd21!

I'm certainly interested in your effort Portreve, published results appreciated, likewise tips on how you determine that elusive stream also appreciated!

phd21, that streamtuner2 app looks like the real deal, great find! Like Portreve, I cannot get the thing to launch though :?

(perhaps that last line in error NameError: name 'os' is not defined is due to LM19.1beta? (Portreve, are you on LM19.1 beta also?
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Portreve,

I cannot tell which edition and version of Linux Mint you are using. Why not add that to your signature?

Linux Mint 19.x has StreamTuner2 in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM). I also recommend installing Audacious, streamripper, and Totem (with plugins) from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)".

Or, you can grab the 2-2.2 deb file from the link below and install that.
StreamTuner2 ♪♬# - Browse Files at SourceForge.net
https://sourceforge.net/projects/streamtuner2/files/

StreamTuner2 has a lot of options that can be enabled and you may have to restart it after enabling them. I also found that on my KDE systems when selecting a music source category on the left for the first time, it would close itself, or you may have to restart after that too. After that, it works great.

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redlined

Post by redlined »

I found this in the project homepage discussions (sourceforge)
https://sourceforge.net/p/streamtuner2/ ... /74241d05/
I updated the "compat2and3.py" file. Streamtuner2 opens properly.
Thanks for your help!
looking for how to update compat2and3.py file...

edit to add: following links from the sourceforge page I see the dev put up a modified compat2and3.py file, located here: https://fossil.include-once.org/streamt ... 3b5a50f1bb

and changes between the two amount to import os inserted at line 71:
# find_executable() is only needed by channels/configwin
try:
from distutils.spawn import find_executable
except:
import os
def find_executable(bin):
exists = [os.path.exists(dir+"/"+bin) for dir in os.environ.get("PATH").split(":")+["/"]]
return exists[0] if len(exists) else None
I'll post back if I get that sorted and working.
redlined

Post by redlined »

streamtuner2 is operational!
(this app is awesome! :mrgreen:

here's what I did to get it to work:

Download patched file from archive put up by dev: https://fossil.include-once.org/streamt ... b5a.tar.gz

opened and extracted compat2and3.py to my Desktop and compared to original found at /usr/share/streamtuner2/compat2and3.py
(compared old and new and verified only change was insert at line 71 the import os fix, confirmed only change)

then the terminal-fu

Code: Select all

anyuser@f023:~$ sudo mv /usr/share/streamtuner2/compat2and3.py /usr/share/streamtuner2/compat2and3.py.bak
[sudo] password for anyuser:              
anyuser@f023:~$ sudo cp ~/Desktop/compat2and3.py /usr/share/streamtuner2/compat2and3.py
anyuser@f023:~$ streamtuner2
and as expected this gem opened right up! Now, how do we notify the repos to update that one file available through SPM/apt?
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

H redlined, Portreve, etc...

To redlined, I have never had to do what you just did to get StreamTuner2 to work. But, for those that are having a problem, that's nice you have a solution.

I have been using StreamTuner2 for years in Linux Mint 17.x and 18.x by installing their Linux deb file. And, I just booted into Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon and installed it from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" and it works fine. Although StreamTuner2 can integrate with "radiotray" I rarely ever use "radiotray".

There is more information in the links I provided before, but if it would help others, I could create a video tutorial or demo of StreamTuner and some of its features. There are 3 radiotray apps: radiotray, radiotray lite, and radiotray-ng.

From my previous links.
ebruck/radiotray-ng: An Internet radio player for Linux
- has a bookmarks editor built-in, and other features that the regular "radiotray" does not have.
https://github.com/ebruck/radiotray-ng

Radiotray-NG: A Simple Radio Player for Ubuntu - OMG! Ubuntu!
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/02/radiotray-ng-ubuntu

Hope this helps ...
redlined

Post by redlined »

phd21 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:14 pm H redlined, Portreve, etc...

To redlined, I have never had to do what you just did to get StreamTuner2 to work. But, for those that are having a problem, that's nice you have a solution.

I have been using StreamTuner2 for years in Linux Mint 17.x and 18.x by installing their Linux deb file. And, I just booted into Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon and installed it from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" and it works fine. Although StreamTuner2 can integrate with "radiotray" I rarely ever use "radiotray".
hi phd21! I don't know why LM19 had issue here, if it just worked out of the SPM box for you, very strange... I suspect it is something gone from the python packages that is removed if upgrade to LM19.1 beta? (if Portreve is indeed in 19.1 beta then that may confirm the issue). I do see SPM does have the latest version 2.2.0 but think the "fix" hasn't been integrated into the repos (not sure who to ask to get that done :? )

Anyway, I've been playing with it and this thing rocks! I think I will apt purge it though and try the deb install instead, he has made other adjustments since the release and the deb will be latest and greatest version (and not as reckless as me replacing one file in usr/share space to get it to work). It can also be run by making that pyz archive executable as seen here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/streamtuner2/files/
== pyz == This is a native Python ZIP application. You can run it per `python st2.pyz` as is. Or make it executable even. All required files are self-contained. However it doesn't define or install any required Python dependencies by itself.
One thing I'm finding real cool is this:
Alternatives to streamtuner2

RadioTray is a small systray/indicator application, which allows to quickly switch between stations. It comes with a few elected default radios, but easily allows adding new ones. Streamtuner2 now has a plugin to populate your RadioTray bookmarks.
as described here: https://fossil.include-once.org/streamt ... ternatives

I really liked radiotray's simplicity when I was using it a couple months back before trying to get all that integrated into rhythmbox and frustrating over getting radio streams to work..
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

H redlined, Portreve, etc...

StreamTuner does rock, literally... :D

I just took a quick worldwide tour of music stations from all over the world and played them through the RadioTray. There are stations for everyone's musical tastes, news stations, etc... from everywhere.

FYI: If you have "radiotray" running, and then you bring up StreamTuner2 and in its settings (Edit->Properties->Feature tab -> check "RadioTray hook", save), may require restarting ST2, then browse to a station in ST2, right-click and select "Keep In RadioTray" it will start playing from the radiotray without having to open a music app.

If you double-click a station, it will play in the default music application like audacious. Sometimes a radio station that does not play in RadioTray will in Audacious.
redlined

Post by redlined »

phd21 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:24 pm H redlined, Portreve, etc...

StreamTuner does rock, literally... :D

I just took a quick worldwide tour of music stations from all over the world and played them through the RadioTray. There are stations for everyone's musical tastes, news stations, etc... from everywhere.

FYI: If you have "radiotray" running, and then you bring up StreamTuner2 and in its settings (Edit->Properties->Feature tab -> check "RadioTray hook", save), may require restarting ST2, then browse to a station in ST2, right-click and select "Keep In RadioTray" it will start playing from the radiotray without having to open a music app.

If you double-click a station, it will play in the default music application like audacious. Sometimes a radio station that does not play in RadioTray will in Audacious.
Thank you for these additional tips phd21!

I opened a discussion topic to report the bug Porteve and I are having since we both encountered it installing from SPM/apt (additionally I installed from .deb and find it is older than the repo version even, as deb warns of newer version available and Updates will offer a level 2 to update the deb install. That compat2and3.py is definitely the culprit as I found with a manual replacement of it, however I feel this is reckless to do in /usr/share/ space and it definitely doesn't help the masses who may install it and find the same error without also finding the work-around solution.

I will report back here if I hear back from dev on other workarounds or a confirmation the fix has been pushed to repos or is included in .deb
Gruppo Sportivo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Gruppo Sportivo »

Portreve wrote:Also, if you have other sources for these sort of streams, post it here and I'll have a look through it as well.
The link below gives a complete overview,also for various german radio stations
Radiostations, streams en webadressen
redlined

Post by redlined »

I received feedback from dev, he is aware of the issue and all will be fixed next release. In the interim the .prz can be run as a standalone (all inclusive python package, as I understand it).
likewise a build from current source will fix it.
lastly, he uploaded a new .deb which I installed and it does run fine now.

Current source, prz standalone package and latest .deb are all up on sourceforge page now: https://sourceforge.net/projects/streamtuner2/files/

Portreve, my apologies if all my excitement basically amounted to a thread hijack. :oops:
I've settled back down and am returning to regular (dangerous newb) activities now :mrgreen:

(edit to add link to sourceforge page, which has all been updated in the past 24hours, as an option since version in repo is not working)
Last edited by redlined on Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redlined

Post by redlined »

Portreve, I came across UbuntuUsers category in streamtuner2, the link to website being one I think will be of interest to you!

https://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Internetradio/Stationen/ URL direct stream lists for internet radio, tv and podcasts 8)
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Hey redlined, phd21, Gruppo Sportivo, et al:

I honestly had no idea this thread would generate so much interest. Wow!

I'm running LM19 Cinnamon, for those who've asked.

Except for a couple work-related things, I've been so busy this week that I've barely touched my computer at all. I'm going to tackle this over the weekend.

Thank you folks for getting so involved in this and even reaching out to the developer. I'm totally blown away by how this has suddenly become a community effort.

I can't wait to try everything and see how it goes.

Again, thank you all very much.

phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI Portreve,

You are welcome from all of us that replied...

redlined

Post by redlined »

hi Portreve!

I am a worldwide music lover so indeed this is of great value already! I did want to mention radiotray quickly ran out of gas for me using with streamtuner2. As it is the default action when choosing "Keep in radiotray" only starts the stream, it does not add a bookmark (or history of play that I could find easily) to radiotray. I did not however attempt other radiotray branches also available in repo so do not know if this function works with them nor even if works as designed.

There is a hack posted by st2 dev as a workaround to make it add bookmark in radiotray (instead of open stream) but I found radiotray to be quite unreliable with this edit in effect so started using the very versatile Audacious (lots of bells and whistles though easy plugin management for most, found in webupd8 PPA) while I seek out other simple stream player options that work well with st2. Using drag and drop approach (from streamtuner2 to player) does work well and keeps me from export/import big categories into player.

All in all, this is very cool! and I'm appreciating that you shared your pet-project ideas here :mrgreen:
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I'm really looking forward to being able to try this out. Apart from my very specific language learning needs, I would like something that does a nice job of aggregating streams. Except for Radio Tray or something of an equivalent nature, I've never been able to get much use out of most streaming app services. Pandora and Shoutcast, for example, I find essentially unusable because however it is they go about selecting and sequencing music, it is really irritating.

Return to “Open Chat”