Radio Tray Bookmark Additions...

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Radio Tray Bookmark Additions...

Post by Portreve »

phd21 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:09 pmI cannot tell which edition and version of Linux Mint you are using. Why not add that to your signature?
Good idea.

Lookie!

|
|
v
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

redlined wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:03 pm streamtuner2 is operational!
(this app is awesome! :mrgreen:

here's what I did to get it to work:

Download patched file from archive put up by dev: https://fossil.include-once.org/streamt ... b5a.tar.gz

opened and extracted compat2and3.py to my Desktop and compared to original found at /usr/share/streamtuner2/compat2and3.py
(compared old and new and verified only change was insert at line 71 the import os fix, confirmed only change)

then the terminal-fu

Code: Select all

anyuser@f023:~$ sudo mv /usr/share/streamtuner2/compat2and3.py /usr/share/streamtuner2/compat2and3.py.bak
[sudo] password for anyuser:              
anyuser@f023:~$ sudo cp ~/Desktop/compat2and3.py /usr/share/streamtuner2/compat2and3.py
anyuser@f023:~$ streamtuner2
and as expected this gem opened right up! Now, how do we notify the repos to update that one file available through SPM/apt?
Ok, so I've now done all the steps you've listed, and streamtuner2 now opens, I get the list of different sources, I can then drill down through the categories, and get to specific streams.

However, the program crashes any time I try to play any of the streams themselves.

So, I guess I'm a bit further along, but I'm still not able to use the program. I don't get any console output if I launch it that way. Hmmm...

redlined

Post by redlined »

hi Portreve!

I got a bit excited and posted quite a flood back there, which hid the gem that may be a better option for streamtuner2. After I opened discussion on sourceforge the dev updated all the packages offered and they can be found there:

Current source, prz standalone package and latest .deb are all up on sourceforge page now: https://sourceforge.net/projects/streamtuner2/files/

The .prz is a stand alone (e.g. complete package) Simple put it somewhere and execute-double click or run from terminal (if run from terminal and app acts flaky, terminate with Ctrl+c and you should get a traceback with any issues mapped as st2 closes, which may help troubleshoot).

I did built from source too! :mrgreen: and I am running that now (simple action but a great learning experience for me!). also the usual install from .deb works as expected now. As long as you are comfortable doing such I would purge current streamtuner2 from system and install new deb or use the prz package from sourceforge.

Not sure why the program is otherwise crashing for you... curious, when you say play streams, streamtuner2 itself doesn't play them, if that was what you were expecting. To get the stream links to play you can left click drag and drop individual stream links to a stream player (radiotray, audacious, vlc, totem, etc). As well, double clicking links listed in streamtuner should bring up either browser or player set in preferred applications.

Also, if you right click on a stream link in st2, select "Keep in radiotray" then it will start the stream in radiotray (but not actually save it as a bookmark, that requires a radiotray file hack that seemed to make radiotray unstable for me, but it does work to add a bookmark in radiotray as well stops the auto-play function)
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Portreve, & Redlined, etc...
Portreve wrote:However, the program crashes any time I try to play any of the streams themselves.
As I have already mentioned, I too have had the inconvenience of StreamTuner2 (st2) crashing or locking up and needing to be restarted when selecting categories (genres) for the first time or after updating and adding new features and options. After selecting categories for the first time it has to retrieve and or update all the streaming radio stations, but after doing that the first time, it works great.

Maybe this "crashing" is a user permissions problem? With ST2 closed, running the console terminal command below might resolve the permissions, if that is the problem. This console command may have to be run twice, once after installing ST2 and again after installing plugins and options.

sudo chmod -R ugo+rwx /usr/share/streamtuner2/
StreamTuner2 is one of my favorite music applications. There is no other streaming application that I know of that has as many working streaming stations or as many features as ST2 and the developer seems nice, and is cooperative, and is maintaining it.

I am going to create a video demo - tutorial showing how I setup and use StreamTuner to help others. Here are some of my Tips and FYI.

FYI-1 Tip: I highly recommend going into ST2 settings and configuration options (Edit -> Properties), click the last tab "Features" and check "User Plugin Manager" option sat the bottom, and restart ST2, Then go back into ST2 settings and click the new last tab "Add", click the "refresh" button and "save" all options you want except the Win32 and restart ST2.

FYI-2 Tip: Then go back into ST2 settings and configuration options (Edit -> Properties), click the "Channels" and "Features" tabs and select or change the options that you want and save them, restart ST2 again. You will have many more stations and options to choose from.

FYI-3 Tip: Although there is a search box at the top, it only searches within the open category and highlights matching searches which you have to scroll through. There is a much better searching option by clicking "Control+F" which can search for anything within a category or all of them this can take a little time before the results show up (look at the bottom status bar).

FYI-4 Tip: You can use any installed music application (Audacious, Amarok, Clementine, Rhythmbox, etc..) and multimedia player (vlc, totem, smplayer, etc...), I recommend Audacious for a light on system resources music app, but you may have to change the ST2 settings and configuration options (Edit -> Properties), "Player" tab, click save.

* recommend installing "streamripper" (audio) and "youtube-dl" (video) for recording options, if you want that.

FYI-5 Tip: Depending upon what you are trying to do, you may have to "think outside the box" a little.

*** To Portreve and others interested in creating specialized playlists, here is a method (procedure) that I have been using with RadioTray and Audacious and StreamTuner2. Start RadioTray then start Audacious.

In Audacious if you do not have a new playlist tab, create one. Start StreamTuner2.

You can drag n drop streaming stations from ST2 to Audacious (check settings). OR, you can change the ST2 Settings (Edit -> Properties - Player tab) for audio to add an "-e" (see screenshot) so that when you double-click or play an ST2 stream it will add that stream to Audacious playlist. Most music applications have console terminal command options like "audacious --help" and the "-e" add to a playlist, Amarok uses "-a", etc... The ST2 normal operation is to double-click a station to play it in the music application, the "-e" will not play it but will add it to the music application playlist, you can simply remove the "-e" to go back to normal click and play.

Because there are literally thousands of streaming stations and options, what I do is right click a stream and play it in RadioTray (right-click Keep in RadioTray), if it works and I like it, then I can double-click it (play) and it will add it to my audacious playlist. Afterward, I can use audacious to save or export the playlist in various formats. You can clear the playlist and create another new playlist and save/export that. This way, you can create your own streaming radio playlists for whatever you want that should work in most music applications, for "Portreve" maybe a German playlist, for others, perhaps Christmas music playlist, Rock N Roll, Jazz, mixed, news, by date, by country, etc... Once you have playlists, you can then update "radiotray" and other music applications with that information.

KDE Users - with GTK and Gnome applications (Firefox, ST2, etc...), you may find it difficult to see or use all the options of applications created for GTK/Gnome, if you do not install the "adwaita" themes from "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" and change the KDE System Settings -> Appearance ->GTK/Gnome to use "adwaita" themes and also changing the ST2 themes. This only needs to be done once.

Hope this helps ...
StreamTuner2_add1.jpg
StreamTuner2_Find1_copy.jpg
StreamTuner2_My_Settings_Player1_copy.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Hey again, phd21!
phd21 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:54 pmAs I have already mentioned, I too have had the inconvenience of StreamTuner2 (st2) crashing or locking up and needing to be restarted when selecting categories (genres) for the first time or after updating and adding new features and options. After selecting categories for the first time it has to retrieve and or update all the streaming radio stations, but after doing that the first time, it works great.
Ok, so I've tried the various things in this particular post that you brought up, and honestly, I'm not getting anywhere yet.

Let me hasten to add that the program runs, and that actually it appears it's not crashing, but rather it passes a URL request to my open web browser, which then dowloads the linked .pls file. Evidently, given the auto-rename function of Firefox kicking in to sequentially number the files, it's been doing this right along and not crashing (which explains the earlier lack of any console output) as I had earlier assumed was going on.

However, this still leads me to ask the question: why in the world is it having my web browser download a .pls file instead of just opening and playing the stream? All I want is for it to access whatever streams are out there to be accessed and play whatever I pick, just like with Radio Tray.
FYI-5 Tip: Depending upon what you are trying to do, you may have to "think outside the box" a little.
What exactly do you mean by "think outside the box" in this situation?

phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Portreve,
Portreve wrote:Let me hasten to add that the program runs, and that actually it appears it's not crashing, but rather it passes a URL request to my open web browser, which then dowloads the linked .pls file. Evidently, given the auto-rename function of Firefox kicking in to sequentially number the files, it's been doing this right along and not crashing (which explains the earlier lack of any console output) as I had earlier assumed was going on.
I am not sure what you are saying. I also updated my last reply.

You double-click a streaming station link in StreamTuner2 (st2) and it opens in your browser? Double-clicking a streaming station link or right-clicking it and selecting play should play the station in your music application. Needless to say, the links should not open in your browser, that is not supposed to happen unless you click the Station Homepage toolbar button or right-click the station link and click Station Home Page.
Portreve wrote:What exactly do you mean by "think outside the box" in this situation?
I mean using the "radiotray" app to test and play the ST2 audio streaming station links to find what you want, and a music application like Audacious to easily create and export (save) various playlists from the ST2 station links that you want and that work. Then if you wanted to just use the radiotray app, you could update the radiotray bookmarks file from the newly saved playlists. If the radiotray application had a console terminal command to update its bookmarks (add to playlist) like the music applications have, that would make it easier and could be setup in ST2. Or if the radiotray app had an import playlist option.

I created a rough video tutorial, but it needs to be redone. Creating video tutorials on my ancient underpowered computer hardware takes a lot of time, and I was smacking my lips for some reason? sorry. Make sure the ST2 settings for audio use the same playlist format (.xspf, .pls, .mu3 ) as the drag n drop option (restart ST2 after making changes).

Link to download or view my StreamTuner2 video from my pcloud storage account
https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code ... cLm5joEPhk

Hope this helps ...
StreamTuner2_Settings1.jpg
StreamTuner2_Settings21.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Why would I be using Radio Tray to play streams when I'm (trying to) use ST2? Am I missing something here?

phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Portreve,

Yes, you are missing something in comprehending what StreamTuner2 is and or does.

StreamTuner2 provides access to streaming stations from all over the world, but it does not have its own built-in player for playing audio streams or video streams, it sends the links to the default music application or by right-clicking to the radiotray application or if it is a video stream to the default media player app. It can also record those audio stations for later playback.
Streamtuner2 is an internet radio station and video browser. It simply lists stations in categories from different directories. Launches your preferred media apps for playback.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

phd21 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:57 pm Hi Portreve,

Yes, you are missing something in comprehending what StreamTuner2 is and or does.

StreamTuner2 provides access to streaming stations from all over the world, but it does not have its own built-in player for playing audio streams or video streams, it sends the links to the default music application or by right-clicking to the radiotray application or if it is a video stream to the default media player app. It can also record those audio stations for later playback.
Streamtuner2 is an internet radio station and video browser. It simply lists stations in categories from different directories. Launches your preferred media apps for playback.
So, in other words I've been fighting with this program for absolutely no good reason. Argh...

redlined

Post by redlined »

most excellent tutorial phd21, thank you!

As you posted, this fixed my buggy loading issue. I did a st2 purge then reinstalled that latest streamtuner2-2.2.1-dev20181201.deb put up on sourceforge, ran your command, opened, refreshed and d/l plugins of interest, enabled all and checked all setting, exit st2, run command again. Brilliant!

sudo chmod -R ugo+rwx /usr/share/streamtuner2/
and your screenshots helped me get the rest of the deal done with adacious -e %xspf with same on vlc for video (and moving vlc/yt-dl to lower record space, brilliant!

and it's all working like a well greased global directory, got sorted the missing extention too, which allows category exports. With the help of Ctrl+f as you mentioned filtering/finding got a ton easier. Big thanks Phil!

(perhaps a copy of just the goodies into a tutorial (subforum) would be well served, that's some good effort making screens and vid, besides keyboardin to break it down like a shotgun :mrgreen:
redlined

Post by redlined »

hi Portreve!

I think the better way to look at this st2 is it's a browser, very broadspectrum audio and video streaming lists, all updated. It just does not play them. Use audacious and/or vlc. The combo works well and would be much more efficient than using regular browser and searching for streams you want to add to radiotray, the inferior player that isn't too easy to add streams to, except import premade playlists.

If you set it up as first set of screenshots show, that adacious -e %xspf will make it so anything in st2 you double click will open in player and you can add it to playlist there or bookmark it in st2 and export all bookmarks to a playlist sort of file that they can use to stream the music, or German stations you were looking at creating a shared list for radiotray. Use st2 to find everything, bookmark what you like, export etc.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Portreve,
Portreve wrote:So, in other words I've been fighting with this program for absolutely no good reason. Argh...
I do not understand this comment? The hardest part of streaming radio is finding working streaming radio stations for whatever it is that you are interested in listening to and StreamTuner2 is superb for this task.

You wanted to learn the German language by listening to German streaming stations, well if you search (Ctl+F) for "German" and "all channels" and "Server search", you will find many streaming stations including some that relate specifically to learning the German language which you can then just add them to the RadioTray application manually or add them to another music application like Audacious where creating various playlists are simple to do and then save them, or add them in bulk to the radiotray app using some other method. You could even create various playlists like "German music", German News, German Learning, German talk shows, German Holidays, etc...

If you wanted to, you could create an application or program script to update (import) into the RadioTray application's bookmark's file from other music-related applications saved playlists (.pls, or .m3u, or .xsfp (xml), etc ...). StreamTuner2 and Audacious can export your saved favorites into various playlist formats and StreamTuner can also export into the ".json" format. I think ".xsfp" is directly compatible with the radiotray bookmarks xml format. From what I read the RadioTray application must be closed (not running) to update its bookmarks (playlist file) directly.

I am not sure but this looks like it might be the "radiotray" bookmark files (stations, playlists)
/usr/share/radiotray/bookmarks.xml
and or
/home/user69/.local/share/radiotray/bookmarks.xml

FYI: The "radiotray-ng" application uses the ".json" playlist bookmarks file format and includes a bookmarks editor that unfortunately does not have an import option either.
Last edited by phd21 on Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:40 am, edited 10 times in total.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi redlined,

You are welcome... and Thank you.

For people who have already installed a non-working or problematic version of StreamTuner2, purging StreamTuner2 before installing their newer version using the deb file would probably be best.

sudo apt purge streamtuner2
To make sure no older user configuration files are going to interfere, run the command below.

sudo rm -r ~/.config/streamtuner2
Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redlined

Post by redlined »

:| didn't rm .config, all is still great 8) I did want to say- ".xspf" is what it is and you had it right in screenshot- confirm in st2 config settings, features, drag and drop, [drop menu select] i chose it there to get it basic, bonus points it works direct to radiotray if I venture that way again, works great with audacious so plenty happy with it.
ps, that combo of letters gives me dyslexia :(
~but i'm jammin some tunes form other side of globe :mrgreen:
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi redlined,

I have been "jammin" tunes from around the world using StreamTuner2 for years now.

Theoretically when you purge (remove completely) an application from the console terminal or from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)", it is supposed to remove the application's user configuration folder as well, but on occasion, the user configuration folder is not deleted?

I have been experimenting with the various "radiotray" applications and none of them appear to have an import option to import streaming radio playlists or to receive a streaming station from "drag-n-drop" from other applications like ST2 like most of the music applications like Audacious can? The "radiotray-ng" is supposed to be a newer better radiotray app than the original radiotray app, but StreamTuner2 does not currently work with that, yet...
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

phd21 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:30 am Hi redlined,

I have been "jammin" tunes from around the world using StreamTuner2 for years now.

Theoretically when you purge (remove completely) an application from the console terminal or from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)", it is supposed to remove the application's user configuration folder as well, but on occasion, the user configuration folder is not deleted?

I have been experimenting with the various "radiotray" applications and none of them appear to have an import option to import streaming radio playlists or to receive a streaming station from "drag-n-drop" from other applications like ST2 like most of the music applications like Audacious can? The "radiotray-ng" is supposed to be a newer better radiotray app than the original radiotray app, but StreamTuner2 does not currently work with that, yet...
I saw this and uninstalled Radiotray and then installed Radiotray-ng, and have been fighting with it to import my bookmarks. Evidently, it doesn't (yet) support sub-groups, and it just failed to import any of my already-added German radio stations. This has been nothing more than a PITA, particularly since I'm not interested in spending my time trying to make things ready to use. I want and need them to work, and me having to commit more and more of my time to try and figure things out is just not acceptable.

Now, I have to figure out how to remove Radiotray-ng so I can just go back to the original thing. At least the XML file is (somewhat) easier for me to understand, though it's still a pain in its own right.

phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Portreve,

I agree that it is not easy to get your own bookmarks (playlists) of streaming radio stations into a radiotray application except one at a time. That's why it would be great to have something that would import and or convert people's streaming radio playlists into those radiotray apps formats. I have already added a feature request at "radio-ng" to add an import option.

But, anyone can use one of the many excellent music applications like Audacious to play your own streaming radios stations or to create playlists of your own from StreamTuner2 (st2) or from other sources and use those right now.

As for the newer "radiotray-ng" application, ST2 does not currently interface with that like the original "radiotray" app, but I am sure it could easily be adapted to do so. So I will put in a request with ST2 (Mario Salzer) and see what happens.

Just remove "radiotray-ng" from your startup applications if you do not want it to start with your system.

Regards.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi redlined and Portreve, and anyone else interested,

There is some new information that might be of interest.

I have heard back from the developers of StreamTuner2 (Mario) and RadioTray-NG (ebruck), see links below.

Mario of ST2 has already updated the software to use the newer "radiotray-ng" which should be available very soon as part of the ST2 plugin updates.

In ST2 I also wanted to be able to easily add a streaming station to a music application (audacious, etc..) playlist. This can easily be done using "drag-n-drop" or by editing the Player Tab Settings to add "e" parameter to audacious, but that is not what the play/double-click function was originally designed to do which is to play the station in a music application. A better option would be for users to create a new Special Button option in the Features Tab Settings to perform the add to playlist command, see my screenshots. This now works after updating ST2 plugins and restarting ST2.

I think we will all have some sort of import streaming radio stations option into "radiotray-ng" soon thanks to StreamTuner2 (Mario) and RadioTray-NG (ebruck).

I think "RadioTray-ng" is available in the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" of Linux Mint 19.x but there are also Linux deb files in the link below, just save and double click it to install it.

"radiotray-ng" downloads
https://github.com/ebruck/radiotray-ng/releases

Links below to the posts I made with these developer websites:

StreamTuner2 ♪♬# / Discussion / Open Discussion:
Request for adding support for "radiotray-ng" application and some other stuff.
https://sourceforge.net/p/streamtuner2/ ... 22751ea57/

radiotray-ng: How to import existing streaming radio playlists? · Issue #92 · ebruck/radiotray-ng
https://github.com/ebruck/radiotray-ng/issues/92

Hope this helps ...
StreamTuner_CustomButton1.jpg
Last edited by phd21 on Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
redlined

Post by redlined »

phd21 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:39 pm I think we will all have some sort of import streaming radio stations option into "radiotray-ng" soon thanks to StreamTuner2 (Mario) and RadioTray-NG (ebruck).
and thanks to you, well done indeed, Salute!
adacious is fun, but a bit much, so...
sudo apt install radiotray-ng here i come :mrgreen:

(excellent thread, well done all!

edit to add: :oops: did you install from PPA or build from source?? Seems a big dependecy list for build, but recently built st2 so that's cool too. I'll checkinstall it to appear :lol:
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI redlined,

I updated my last reply. I think RadioTray-NG is in the Linux Mint 19 Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM). I provided a link in my last reply to easy to install Linux deb files for radiotray-ng.

I love my music applications (Audacious, Amarok, Sayonara, Qmmp, etc...), but sometimes I don't want a full music application running while doing other computer stuff when a light on system resources radio tray application would work perfectly well and it is nice that you do not know what music the streaming stations will play.

Hope this helps ...
Christmas 2018 International Streaming radio station playlists from StreamTuner2 in various playlist formats which should work in most music applications like Audacious, Amarok, Clementine, Rhythmbox, Sayonara, Qmmp, etc...
- just save the archive file, right-click and extract here, and open your favorite music application and import one of the playlists.
Christmas2018_Streams_playlists.tar.gz
I have listened to some Christmas and Holiday songs that I have never heard of before. "Heart Extra Christmas" is pretty good when I was listening to it.

Return to “Open Chat”