Radio Tray Bookmark Additions...

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
redlined

Re: Radio Tray Bookmark Additions...

Post by redlined »

yah, I was looking for his 18 October v0.2.4 release, source code only so far I can find so grabbed the 023 deb and tinkering with it now, loading st2 need to refresh plugins and get back to workin it lol

Cheers Phil, Portreve, and all. thank you all for sharing and happy holidays to you and yourn. (a bit early for the Christmas tunes but, why not, maybe more than a chunk of coal this year :mrgreen:

edit to add:
my build project #2, I had previously installed in bulk using command (via sudo apt install) all the dependencies listed by author for build on Ubuntu, then I loosely followed build debian examples, except clone github command, because I had downloaded the archive already.

System info- LM19.1 Tessa, Cinnamon 4.0.7, CPU: Quad Core Intel Celeron N2920 (-MCP-) speed/min/max: 637/533/2000 MHz Kernel: 4.15.0-42-generic x86_64 Up: 8h 11m Mem: 2847.6/7871.8 MiB (36.2%) Storage: 1.82 TiB (4.8% used) Procs: 220
Shell: bash 4.4.19 inxi: 3.0.27 (just to show its a slightly upgraded, over 3 year old HP laptop, iow nothing special)

All "$" are my commands are into terminal, from prompt.

Right-click and double-click is on files downloaded, compiled from source and build install. Pretty sweet deal and install runs as expected :beer:

Code: Select all

right click extracted radiotray-ng-0.2.4.tar.gz
$ mv radiotray-ng-0.2.4 radiotray-ng
$ cd radiotray-ng
$ mkdir build
$ cd build
$ cmake .. -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release
$ sudo checkinstall
(snip a lot of stuff, some interactive response and enter)
$ sudo apt remove radiotray-ng
(removed was version 0.2.3 the last .deb file on github)
(doubleclick nice shiney new .deb= build_20181216-1_amd64.deb
install from gdebi-gtk (double-click)
$ radiotray-ng --version
$ Radiotray-NG: v0.2.4 (v0.2.4-unknown)
$
:ninja:
:mrgreen:
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi redlined, Portreve, everyone else,

More good activity on the streaming radio front.

There are updates to StreamTuner2, click Edit->Properties->Add Tab->refresh - save all updates but the Windows one, restart ST2, maybe run that console terminal command again for permissions. I actually ran through the updates twice to save everything.

*** Now we can add (import) a streaming station directly from StreamTuner2 into "radiotray-ng (RTNG)", you may have to right-click the system tray icon and use its Preferences -> reload bookmarks before they show up. RTNG also has a bookmarks manager so you can drag-n-drop (DND) RTNG stations from one category to another or create your own categories and move them around.

Unfortunately, ST2 cannot at this time just play a station through RTNG like it did with the older radiotray app, but it can add stations to its bookmarks which can then easily be played through RTNG. In order to preview stations in ST2 to see if they work and that you like them you can just right-click Play or double-click it to play in the default music player application and if it works and you like it, then you can add it to the radiotray-ng app, or to your music app playlists.

FYI: I found in Audacious that I had to double-click the specific playlist so that it is in focus when I wanted to Add Station from ST2.

I am still using radiotray-ng 0.2.3 although the RTNG developer "ebruck" does recommend using the newer one, but as "redlined" pointed out the only way to get the new one is to compile it until they provide a newer deb file.

The developers of both ST2 and RTNG are still working on providing an import option for importing multiple stations using a playlist file. We will keep you posted.

Hope this helps ...
StreamTuner2_Add_to_Radiotray-ng_copy.jpg
StreamTuner2_Add_to_Radiotray-ng2_copy.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
redlined

Post by redlined »

and it just keeps getting better... 8) Thank you phd21! ( I see RTNG dev has made changes, time to recompile and checkinstall :mrgreen:

(and again thanks for the reminder, I thought I was imagining things...again...

open st2, edit, properties, Add tab, refresh, save (download), save (properties box), quit st2, run command, reopen, enjoy searching thousands of filtered streams to play on preferred player!

resharing your command for ease and convenience in finding on page 3 this thread :lol:

sudo chmod -R ugo+rwx /usr/share/streamtuner2/
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi redlined,

As you just pointed out, the radiotray-ng has a newer development version "0.2.5-dev" which works even better and does not require having to refresh the radiotray-ng bookmarks, but you have to compile it which is not that hard to do.

I can provide people with a download link to my 64-bit Linux deb file for Linux Mint 19.x based on Ubuntu 18.04 that I just created, just ask. But the instructions for compiling and installing this are below and they are not hard to do and it does not take long.

Here are the relatively easy instructions for compiling and installing the new version of radiotray-ng v0.2.5-dev. First close radiotray-ng from the system tray icon if it is running.

To compile and install "radiotray-ng v0.2.5-dev" open a console terminal to your home folder which is the default, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right-click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste ("Shift+Insert" or "Ctrl+Shift+v"), repeat for each command.

sudo apt install build-essential cmake  cmake-extras extra-cmake-modules git curl wget wget2 checkinstall

sudo apt install lsb-release libcurl4-openssl-dev libjsoncpp-dev libxdg-basedir-dev libnotify-dev libboost-filesystem-dev libgstreamer1.0-dev libappindicator3-dev libboost-log-dev libboost-program-options-dev libgtk-3-dev libnotify-dev lsb-release libbsd-dev libncurses5-dev libglibmm-2.4-dev libwxgtk3.0-dev libwxgtk3.0-0v5

sudo rm -r ~/radiotray-ng

git clone -b v0.2.5-dev https://github.com/ebruck/radiotray-ng.git

cd radiotray-ng

mkdir build

cd build

cmake .. -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release

make package
Usually, at this stage of compiling software from source code, you can run the command below to install the software, but they did not show this.

sudo make install
There will be a deb installation file in the "/radiotray-ng/build" folder which you can double-click to install.
or you can install it from the console terminal prompt
If built on a 64-bit computer run this command

sudo dpkg -i radiotray-ng_0.2.5-dev_amd64.deb
or If built (compiled) on a 32-bit computer run this command

sudo dpkg -i radiotray-ng_0.2.5-dev_i386.deb
Then run this console terminal command to make sure the installation finished properly.

sudo apt-get install -f
Exit the console terminal window

Now you can start radiotray-ng from your menu like before.

For Linux Mint 18.x (Ubuntu 16.04) users that have a problem compiling the new radiotray-ng v0.2.5-dev, see this post.
Unable to build on Ubuntu 16.04 32-bit · Issue #90 · ebruck/radiotray-ng
https://github.com/ebruck/radiotray-ng/ ... -447585370

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
redlined

Post by redlined »

phd21 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

sudo apt install build-essential cmake  cmake-extras extra-cmake-modules git curl wget wget2 checkinstall

sudo apt install lsb-release libcurl4-openssl-dev libjsoncpp-dev libxdg-basedir-dev libnotify-dev libboost-filesystem-dev libgstreamer1.0-dev libappindicator3-dev libboost-log-dev libboost-program-options-dev libgtk-3-dev libnotify-dev lsb-release libbsd-dev libncurses5-dev libglibmm-2.4-dev libwxgtk3.0-dev libwxgtk3.0-0v5
First time I built rtng I did have some errors show, of all the dependencies listed above cmake-extras, extra-cmake-modules and wget2 had to be installed. This may have helped with the error I had trying git clone. not sure, so I did that manually downloading the source archive, then proceeded as below the first time. This time I began at git clone and proceeded as follows:
phd21 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

sudo rm -r ~/radiotray-ng

git clone -b v0.2.5-dev https://github.com/ebruck/radiotray-ng.git

cd radiotray-ng

mkdir build

cd build

cmake .. -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release

make package
Usually, at this stage of compiling software from source code, you can run the command below to install the software, but they did not show this.

sudo make install
This is where I used (both times I compiled and built this project) sudo checkinstall (instead of sudo make install, as xenopeek's guide pinned in newbie section took over. I think I actually did checkinstall immediately after cmake .. DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release the first time and it preformed as expected, made the deb and installed it for me. Same prompts during check install, I answered y/n questions with prompted response (e.g. you probably don't want this, saying yes is a good idea, etc pretty easy there :lol:
phd21 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm Hope this helps ...
it does Phil, and thanks again for the clear cut and simple to c&p cmdlines to use!
Done. The new package has been installed and saved to
/home/anyuser/radiotray-ng/build/build_20181218-1_amd64.deb
You can remove it from your system anytime using:
dpkg -r build
~$ radiotray-ng --version
Radiotray-NG: v0.2.5-dev (v0.2.4-4-gda1487f)

and.... I'm rockin the latest RTNG again, most excellent! :coffee: :mrgreen:
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi redlined,

You are welcome again...

Not all software developers provide a good working "'debian" packaging control file so that the "make package" command can build the deb installation file automatically. That is where "checkinstall" comes in handy because you can create a deb installation file from a compiled software folder. In this case, you do not need to run "checkinstall" because the deb installer .deb file is created when you run the "make package" command using the instructions I gave which came from the developer's website except I modified the "git clone" command to get the "development branch" of the newer source code that was just updated and works even better.
redlined

Post by redlined »

Portreve wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:48 pm I'm in the process of learning German, and one of the things I want to do is listen to German language radio over the Internet (since that's the only way I'm able to do so)
hi Portreve, I stumbled upon this app skimming through software manager looking at audio/video category and found this gem I felt you might appreciate. Although it is a(nother) departure from your initial stated reason for thread, specifically this is video streams versus the audio you were seeking.

The app is called mediathekview and it's homepage (in German;) gives details:

https://mediathekview.de/

from repo:
https://community.linuxmint.com/softwar ... iathekview
This application searches for various media center video content of the German television program (ARD, ZDF, Arte, 3Sat, MDR, ORF, SRF and many more). You can watch, download and even subscribe to an offered show.
http://zdfmediathk.sourceforge.net/
Das Programm MediathekView durchsucht die Online-Mediatheken verschiedener Sender (ARD, ZDF, Arte, 3Sat, SWR, BR, MDR, NDR, WDR, HR, RBB, ORF, SF) und listet die gefundenen Sendungen auf. Die Liste kann mit verschiedenen Filtern nach Beiträgen durchsucht werden. Mit einem Programm eigener Wahl können die Filme angesehen und aufgezeichnet werden. Es lassen sich Abos anlegen und neue Beiträge automatisch herunterladen.

Note: my first spouse, circa 1990, learned "Anglish" via watching tv shows with her mother (who was dual-citizen anf fluent on both languages concerned). I found it funny to consider but she definitely learned the the basics and rarely got lost with idioms, westernisms, etc due to watching seeing them used in appropriate (and inappropriate) manners.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Hey phd21!
phd21 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pmHere are the relatively easy instructions for compiling and installing the new version of radiotray-ng v0.2.5-dev. First close radiotray-ng from the system tray icon if it is running.
These instructions more-or-less worked except that it then led me to having a "package management system broken" error.

Evidently, this was to do with something called python-lxml not being installed. Fortunately, I was able to track down the following directions which then helped cleaned up the little bit of mess:

sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get install python-lxml
sudo apt-get clean
I guess this is one of those teachable moments in life where you need to make sure you've accounted for all necessary prerequisites and steps, especially if it's going to bring down the entire apt-get system. :shock:

Thanks again!
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel

Return to “Open Chat”