Cyber Wars

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Cyber Wars

Post by Pierre »

otherwise known as WW4:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/why-micro ... world-war/
Why Microsoft is fighting to stop a cyber world war ..

interestingly, it's the US Gov't that is the main hold-out on getting the Paris Call for Trust and Security in Cyberspace - working.

like is the proposed US "Jedi project, a huge cyber-cloud which could ultimately store nuclear codes"
- actually safe from the Russians ?
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46489689

- - two different topic - - but are they are related?.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
gm10

Re: Cyber Wars

Post by gm10 »

Pierre wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:19 am otherwise known as WW4:
And here I thought you were starting a forum game. ;)

I'm not sure we can reply to the rest of your post, forum rules and politics don't mix. So I'll just say that conflict in cyberspace has been going on for almost as long as cyberspace exists, so there's no cyber war about to break out and there's no stopping it, either.

And to this quote from the article "governments should stand up for the protection of the civilians and civilian infrastructure, and safeguard the internet in general from cyber attacks" I'd like to reply with a Wayne's World quote: "Yeah, and monkeys might fly out of my butt!"

Peace.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Pierre wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:19 am otherwise known as WW4:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/why-micro ... world-war/
Why Microsoft is fighting to stop a cyber world war ..

interestingly, it's the US Gov't that is the main hold-out on getting the Paris Call for Trust and Security in Cyberspace - working.

like is the proposed US "Jedi project, a huge cyber-cloud which could ultimately store nuclear codes"
- actually safe from the Russians ?
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46489689

- - two different topic - - but are they are related?.
War? - Yes, especially in our brains.
I read about your posting once again on BBC. Your link was - we know for years - bad, bad whoever does bad things, but really

an interesting was this article from BBC from the same day:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-46534681
A seven year old girl suing her father for not building a toilet.
Well, it could be.
The letter of the girl is shown in the article.
My question to this forum: Do you believe that a seven-year-old child can write such a letter?
Do you know seven-year-olds with such a secure handwriting in both Tamil and English?
...and then a perfect letter design with enumeration and entry...

BBC says: Why you can trust BBC News.
I ask: Why you can trust BBC News?
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Read some great books RE: Cyber Warfare over the last several years - bullet points what I got from all the reading and what it all comes down to in a nutshell:
- The real deterrent is that state actors do not know what the "other guys" have or to what extent the other other guys have infected their national networks with . . . basically the analogy is the nuclear deterrent of mutual destruction. A initiates a cyber war on B and the retaliation may be worse than the initial attack.
- everybody is probing everybody all the time
- everybody is finding "stuff" in their network infrastructure all the time - some of it has been there for literally years (sometime they know who did it sometimes they think they know who did it and sometimes they have no idea who did it)
- God help us all if a World Wide Cyber War ever breaks out.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

gm10 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:58 am
I'm not sure we can reply to the rest of your post, forum rules and politics don't mix. So I'll just say that conflict in cyberspace has been going on for almost as long as cyberspace exists, so there's no cyber war about to break out and there's no stopping it, either.
it's supposed to be a Technical Forum - - so, just stay with the technical implications, of those articles.
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

absque fenestris wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:07 pm My question to this forum: Do you believe that a seven-year-old child can write such a letter?
Do you know seven-year-olds with such a secure handwriting in both Tamil and English?
I met a 8 year old in Varanasi, India who was fluent in about 9 languages (several Indian sub-continent languages plus Japanese, Mandarin, German, French, Spanish and of course English). He worked as a Guide / Fixer for tourists. Don't underestimate Indian kids...they grow up quick and the clever ones make sure they are equipped to go up in the world.

Plus I think my handwriting as a 7 year old was way better than it is now as a 40 something year old...
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

smurphos wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:44 am
absque fenestris wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:07 pm My question to this forum: Do you believe that a seven-year-old child can write such a letter?
I met a 8 year old in Varanasi, India who was fluent in about 9 languages (several Indian sub-continent languages plus Japanese, Mandarin, German, French, Spanish and of course English). He worked as a Guide / Fixer for tourists. Don't underestimate Indian kids...they grow up quick and the clever ones make sure they are equipped to go up in the world.

Plus I think my handwriting as a 7 year old was way better than it is now as a 40 something year old...
Where did the eight-year-old learn that?
Parents, teachers?
But they must have been geniuses, too...

As a teacher, uncle, godfather and stepfather, I taught some children something like reading and writing... they could draw and paint mostly very well, modelling was also not bad - but writing?
Europeans are probably just a bit stupid.

Return to “Open Chat”