M$ is readying a consumer Microsoft 365 subscription bundle

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
michael louwe

M$ is readying a consumer Microsoft 365 subscription bundle

Post by michael louwe »

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft ... on-bundle/ - Microsoft is readying a consumer Microsoft 365 subscription bundle - Dec 12, 2018

M$ slowly cooking the Win 10 frogs alive who are swimming obliviously in a pot of cool water.?

Who said M$ will never offer Win 10 Home & Pro subscriptions.?

Post-Jan 2020, if Win 10 achieves a world marketshare of about 70%, M$ will turn up the heat to abolish stand-alone or perpetual Win 10 Home, Pro & Ent and Office licenses. You have been warned.
P S - Remember, when you buy a new OEM Win 10 computer, the cost of the OEM Win 10 license has already been included in the list price. OEM Win 10 Home licenses cost from US$25 to US$101 each depending on the hardware. OEM Win 10 Pro licenses should cost about double that. ...
https://www.thurrott.com/windows/window ... p-revealed# - Exclusive: New Windows 10 Consumer SKU Roadmap Revealed - Posted on February 3, 2018
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
michael louwe

Re: M$ is readying a consumer Microsoft 365 subscription bundle

Post by michael louwe »

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-1 ... heres-why/ - Windows 10 subscriptions aren't happening. Here's why
- One of the most persistent questions I hear about Windows 10 involves what happens when the free upgrade offer ends. Is Microsoft going to start charging subscription fees? After a close look at the company's financials, I'm convinced the answer is an emphatic no. - By Ed Bott | February 6, 2016
Post-Jan 2020, 5 year old Win 10 Home & Pro computers will likely start becoming un-upgradable = the affected users will need to buy new OEM Win 10 computers every 5 years, on top of paying forced subscriptions for Win 10 = Planned Obsolescence = more profit$ for M$ and the OEMs.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

Except then a depression strikes and no one can afford new computers and the company has to lay off 2/3 of it's workforce.... not saying it's gonna happen but modern corporations are incapable of flexibility.
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

If Microsoft plans to go the subscription route, I think it will happen when Windows 7 reaches it's end of life on January 14, 2020 and is no longer supported by Microsoft.

The way I figure it, the only other Windows operating system with a longer life is Windows 8.1 which Microsoft ends support for on January 10, 2023. So when January 14, 2020 rolls around, we'll see if those Windows 7 users who hate Windows 10 will go to Windows 8.1, Mac OS or Linux.

With all those who talk a good game, but never follow up on their statements with action; if the Windows 7 people don't go to Windows 8.1, I suspect many of them will grouse, then give a soft whimper by "grabbing their ankles and bending over" to accept Windows 10 in what ever plans Microsoft has in store for Windows 10 after January 14, 2020.

Microsoft is counting on Windows 7 users going with Windows 10 and I think that will happen. Time will tell though.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

rambo919 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:30 am Except then a depression strikes and no one can afford new computers and the company has to lay off 2/3 of it's workforce.... not saying it's gonna happen but modern corporations are incapable of flexibility.
In the aftermath of the last economic recession in 2008, M$ only had to shed 5% of her workforce. ....... https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/ ... giant.html - Microsoft axes 5,000 jobs as recession hits software giant - 22 Jan 2009

So, a recession will not stop M$'s greed wrt Planned Obsolescence and forced subscriptions for Win 10 post-Jan 2020.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

Except I did not say recession I said depression. Multiple recessions are inevitable, the breathing of the economy. The problem is when they come too close together and cause a cumulative effect or a major recession becomes a depression because of timing. If nothing else it would be interesting to see what actually happens to the software business when that happens because the last big one was before software.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

To borrow from a certain insurance company's advertisements...

“I just saved a bunch of money on M$ subscriptions by switching to libre-licensed software instead!”
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel

Return to “Open Chat”