User Tracking: Android vs. iOS, Google vs. Apple

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

User Tracking: Android vs. iOS, Google vs. Apple

Post by Portreve »

I just ran across this and thought the rest of you folks might find this interesting...

YouTube: Android vs. iOS: Which spies on you more? — Bryan Lunduke
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: User Tracking: Android vs. iOS, Google vs. Apple

Post by AZgl1800 »

Interesting video.... and as he states, none of this is new, but the detail makes you paranoid if you have that kind of tendencies.

for me?
I have Android, and use an app called MacroDroid which I have configured to turn OFF both WiFi and DATA unless I actually open the phone, and unlock the screen.

Until that happens, it is mute to the world....
I do this to stop all of those apps from acting like 'ET' and calling home to momma....
that saves my battery for things that I want it to be doing.

While the screen is locked, my phone just sips on battery power.....
about 6% per day if I never open the case.

this is so effective, that if I go inside a building and then open the phone up, it has no clue as to where I am..... I get the message "can't find your location" ..... providing the app I opened wants my location.... such as The Weather Channel, or my favorite Weather Radar

neither one of those apps can find weather relative to where I am, I have to walk outside, let the phone see the sky, and get locked in.....
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

AZgl1500, What's the difference between that and putting it in Airplane Mode until ready to use or receive calls?
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

kenetics wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:09 pm AZgl1500, What's the difference between that and putting it in Airplane Mode until ready to use or receive calls?
Airplane Mode leaves WiFi enabled so that you can use the device on the airplanes WiFi internet access system..... but DATA is turned off.

I wanted to exercise Total Control period. By forcing DATA and WiFi to OFF, there is no way for any app on the device to access the internet.

For total battery control, I would need to turn off Bluetooth, but BT is extremely important to me, and I nearly always use a Blue Parrott trucker's headset when talking on my phone... I have severe Tinnitus, and need the extra bass response of the headset in order to understand what people are saying.

Just to verify what I said, here is the Alert Message when I turn on Airplane Mode.

Airplane Mode.jpg
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

On my phone, a Moto G, wifi is turned off when in Airplane Mode - although it can be turned on separately.

I have data turned off at my phone company's control panel, except on rare occasions when I might need it (and for economic reasons as data usage is charged separately). I have Ting mobile.
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.

Return to “Open Chat”