what are the key things that could be improved in firefox?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
charroo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by charroo »

would glad to know

thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
i'm on Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Gruppo Sportivo
Level 4
Level 4

Re: what are the key things that could be improved in firefox?

Post by Gruppo Sportivo »

If you mean optimize for your own use,take a look at this website
Firefox: optimize its settings
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

You may find this blog helpful also : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... refox.html
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

FireWaterfox
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

The Librefox project is addressing some security improvements.
Someone mentioned this in another thread--I find it interesting and am experimenting with it.

From the project page:
"Librefox: Browse With Freedom

This project aims at enforcing privacy and security of Firefox without forking the project.

Librefox uses more than 500 privacy/security/performance settings, patches, Librefox-Addons (optional) and a cleaned bundle of Firefox (updater, crashreporter and Firefox's integrated addons that don't respect privacy are removed)."

https://github.com/intika/Librefox
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

One thing that annoys me the most. Since the change to "quantum" the useful utilities like TabMixPlus have been knobbled. My biggest complaint is I can no longer open a link in a new tab just by left click. and must use a modifier like <ctrl>click to perform the task. Prior to quantum I could tell FF to open all links in a new tab.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

lsemmens wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:52 pmPrior to quantum I could tell FF to open all links in a new tab.
Seems there is a lot of RAM on your computer.
P.S. middle mouse button (or scroll wheel) is working for me out of the box.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

lsemmens is probably referring to opening links that go to another site or target in another tab. E.g. results of a google search you click then open in a new tab.
For this I am using on Waterfox the extension "Open Link with New Tab".
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

If I want to open something in new tab I just click middle button.
Kyowash

Post by Kyowash »

It would be nice if Firefox didn't integrate the Pocket extension, I'm tired of having to set the extensions.pocket.enabled option to false in about:config every time I reset my Firefox configuration.

Also, am I the only one who thinks the old logo was better than the new one? I'm glad the Mint-X icon theme hasn't updated the Firefox logo to the new one, because I personally don't like it.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

After WaterFox I did the uninstall thing to FireFox :wink:
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Pepi wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:41 am After WaterFox I did the uninstall thing to FireFox :wink:
Do you mean it's the best possible improvement of FF?
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

Kyowash wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:42 am It would be nice if Firefox didn't integrate the Pocket extension, I'm tired of having to set the extensions.pocket.enabled option to false in about:config every time I reset my Firefox configuration.

Also, am I the only one who thinks the old logo was better than the new one? I'm glad the Mint-X icon theme hasn't updated the Firefox logo to the new one, because I personally don't like it.
Pocket and some other crap are referred to as "features" and can be found in /usr/lib/firefox/browser/features/ (on my Mint 18.3 XFCE).
You can simply delete any "feature" that is bothering you. With a Firefox update it is likely that some or all will return however.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I am aware of the middle click thing, the issue with that is that the scroll wheel sometimes does what scroll wheels do.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
scoson
Level 2
Level 2

Post by scoson »

edit: The following is based on using the 'bookmarks menu' button added to the toolbar..

I just started using FF again after using Pale Moon for several yrs. I like it again, doesn't take up too much screen space if you hide titlebar, and it just seems to work everywhere. I can use bitwarden which I switched to from lastpass. My issues would be pretty much aesthetic and pertaining to bookmarks. It seems even if I use default theme in FF it doesn't want to use the highlight color of whatever gtk theme I'm using at the time when I scroll bookmarks, just a dull gray or whatev. Also even though I'm using about the only decent (apparently) favicon extension 'checkmarks' it seems to only display or download like half of them even though I know darn well there should be many more (FF doesn't seem to grab any by itself, don't know why). Also, I don't want to see the 'show all bookmarks' and 'open all in tabs' (at the bottom), these are all minor things and, possibly there are fixes I could do, aboutconfig: or something else?
Last edited by scoson on Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

scoson wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:24 pm I just started using FF again
.... snip ...
Also, I don't want to see the 'show all bookmarks' and 'open all in tabs', these are all minor things and, possibly there are fixes I could do, aboutconfig: or something else?
Hmmmm,

I use Showall Bookmarks many times a day, use it to find specific bookmarks pertaining to a topic search.....

life would be horrible without 'showall'

and that is one of the reasons, I can't stand to use any other app that claims to be a 'browser'...

No other browser handles Bookmarks as efficiently as FF does.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

charroo wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:26 am what are the key things that could be improved in firefox?

would glad to know

thanks
replacing it with chrome, brave, opera, or vavaldu
Kyowash

Post by Kyowash »

vansloneker wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:29 pm Pocket and some other crap are referred to as "features" and can be found in /usr/lib/firefox/browser/features/ (on my Mint 18.3 XFCE).
You can simply delete any "feature" that is bothering you. With a Firefox update it is likely that some or all will return however.
I don't see Pocket there...

Code: Select all

$ ls -l /usr/lib/firefox/browser/features/
total 1800
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  619610 dic  9 19:14 formautofill@mozilla.org.xpi
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1170884 dic  9 19:14 screenshots@mozilla.org.xpi
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   17770 dic  9 19:14 webcompat@mozilla.org.xpi
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   25260 dic  9 19:14 webcompat-reporter@mozilla.org.xpi
Unless it's one of those files, but I can't really tell. I'm using 18.3 Cinnamon, is the path different depending on the desktop environment?
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I feel bad about FF but I think it's too late ... I know someone who was a technical writer for Mozilla and I suspect she got out while the getting was good.

First suggestion I'd have made was to NOT copy Chrome but it's way too late for that.

Second would have been to not make changes that break many plugins when having a ton of plugins was probably your biggest selling points but it's too late for that too.

The only thing FF had left, really, was being FOSS. But with the change to HTML5, which has embedded DRM (ahem) 'compatibility', means you simply cannot make a FOSS browser anymore that's going to be useable for the average user. There aren't enough tinfoil hats out there to support browser development.

I've switched to Chrome myself, Vivaldi when I feel I need more privacy.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
scoson
Level 2
Level 2

Post by scoson »

AZgl1500 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:02 am Hmmmm,

I use Showall Bookmarks many times a day, use it to find specific bookmarks pertaining to a topic search.....

life would be horrible without 'showall'
edit: The following is based on using the 'bookmarks menu' button added to the toolbar..

I see now that the 'show all' at the bottom is/does the same thing as the second entry at the top of the bookmarks. I use that sometimes too but it seems redundant having it at the top and a big bar at the bottom. I think on Pale Moon I was used to 'organize bookmarks' toward the top?
Last edited by scoson on Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Open Chat”