return to windows emotional support group

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
bad medicine
Level 4
Level 4

Re: return to windows emotional support group

Post by bad medicine »

I installed MSE for the helluvit. Except for one time when I bought a new laptop that somehow had the Blaster worm on it within the first few hours of use, I've never had any issues except that dealing with the software that's supposed prevent issues is often worse than the problem its supposed to cure.
Thinkpad T410 Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Fair decision I'd say. MSE being a Microsoft product it's at least somewhat keen on staying out of the way of everyday Windows operations. The Windows security industry certainly counts as the biggest scam in recent history and I will personally have no part of it, buy howling along with the wolves does of course make some things simpler. I for example remember I had to manually interfere with regedit at the time of the Windows 10 upgrade to keep from having to install an antivirus program which the upgrade could then feel confident about disabling for me...
Translucency

Post by Translucency »

I'm a Windows user and .NET developer. I don't understand the "bad security" claims about Windows. I don't even remember the last time I had a virus or malware, but I know I've never had one on Windows 8 or 10. I just use Windows Defender.

Then again, I don't download random files, run them, click "run anyway" on the SmartScreen warning that says it protected your PC, then click "OK" on the UAC prompt. :D

Seriously, you have to be pretty reckless to get viruses. They don't just float down to your computer from websites.

If Linux had as many users as Windows, I imagine it would be the target of more viruses as well.

Not trying to sound like a Windows fan boy or anything. I just think Windows gets a lot of hate that it hasn't deserved in recent years. Plus, their shift toward open source is making a huge positive impact on the develop community, in my opinion.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Translucency wrote:
Seriously, you have to be pretty reckless to get viruses. They don't just float down to your computer from websites.
They used to. Remember the term "drive-by download"? I haven't heard about them lately, I guess browsers have gotten smart enough to not allow that anymore.
Translucency

Post by Translucency »

Schultz wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:40 pm
Translucency wrote:
They used to. Remember the term "drive-by download"? I haven't heard about them lately, I guess browsers have gotten smart enough to not allow that anymore.
I think that was a browser vulnerability, though, as opposed to an OS one.

Still, you have to actually execute something for it to do damage.

Windows users also set themselves up for trouble by disabling UAC without understanding what it does. So then everything they run can potentially have admin privileges.

I imagine the average technical knowledge of Windows users vs. Linux users plays a role too. You guys be smart! :)
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Grayfox »

Translucency wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:06 pmWindows users also set themselves up for trouble by disabling UAC without understanding what it does. So then everything they run can potentially have admin privileges.
I know what I does, I disabled it without running antimalware as I hate being questioned about my actions.
PC: Intel i5 6600K @4.5Ghz, 1TB NVMe SSD, 32GiB 3000Mhz DDR4, GTX1080 running Mint 21.3
Laptop: Asus UM425UAZ running LMDE 6
Translucency

Post by Translucency »

Grayfox wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:30 pm
Translucency wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:06 pmWindows users also set themselves up for trouble by disabling UAC without understanding what it does. So then everything they run can potentially have admin privileges.
I know what I does, I disabled it without running antimalware as I hate being questioned about my actions.
Sorry. I meant no offense. I should have said "some less-technical Windows users."
redlined

Post by redlined »

We (of the internet variety) have come a long way since the days of expected infection free lifespan of a Windows brand new OOTB connected computer getting infected within 20 minutes (circa 2004) to modern threat and attack vector risks, however, it is important to know it is still happening. and I suspect we will see a major shift in MS vulnerability focus as Linux reduces MS dominance on many fronts, from servers to workstations to personal computers.

In that 20 minute article they refer to an old list that SANS used to maintain which named the offenders as being, more often than not, Windows. and a lot of that changed when MS did. mostly implementing simple things like enabling windows firewall by default (not until XP, SP1 I think) did that happen, also packaging antivirus/antispyware with system, removing the deeply embedded/ingrained Internet Explorer (and easing up on the "browser war" in general) and especially UAC went far in helping secure the many unnecessary open ports and unneeded services that were being exploited everywhere one turned in the MS environment.

Sans institue does still maintain ICS pages though and an infocon history takes us back 20 years to as recent as 20 months (Wannacry worm, bottom 1/4 of page). It still happens and it does not always need the user to acknowledge in every case.

Malware (virus, trojan, worm, rootkit, spyware, cryptocoin miners, etc, etc, etc, ad nauseam) primarily relies on the greatest risk remaining "the user" (pebkac) vulnerability although baddies that just float down from the internet and into machine (or just get built into machine) is still very real and valid concern, even if/when ruling out the "social engineering" aspect of it.

admittedly, I often catch myself demeaning MS&Windows, really a tasteless and bad habit I engaged in while "growing up" with windows in a military workplace where (as a 'smart' user) back in 1995 I was tagged with additional duty of sysadmin for small networks throughout most the rest of my career, this was not a paid nor trained for position. My first home computer was win98 and lasting initial impressions can taint experience for very long times, indeed :roll:

I still see it as realistic for a decade back but more hype and FUD when considering modern threat is less OS exploit based simply due to the fact the OS wars landscape provides too diverse a population to target effectively. How to make cross-platform attacks effective, choose a better vector and in the area of personal computers, I'd say it's definitely lining up to be Chrome To which, like MS, google will have to step up to the plate, as they have. and throw lots of resources at maintaining and staying ahead of the threat game, which they are doing. (and doing it pretty dang well).. Even MS has seen that writing on the wall and the move for their Edge browser to the chromium engine may lead to even better security for MS OS.

Regardless, I applaud MS change in perspective from buy/own rights to all related tech then integrate/bury it... to joining the open source movement as every OS benefits from the strengthening of any weakest link in this hyperconnected world.

all the above is just my opinion, and I do apologize for bringing "statistics" into the conversation, as they really mean little to nothing outside the focus of intent. In this case I felt "W3Schools has 50 million monthly visits." and " From the statistics below (collected since 2002)" does paint a trend picture for the general internet at large, even though it is very specific in measuring visitor to their website.
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Grayfox »

Translucency wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:43 pm Sorry. I meant no offense. I should have said "some less-technical Windows users."
I know, but I am one of those select few freaks that knows how to use a windows computer safely without an anti malware protecting them.
PC: Intel i5 6600K @4.5Ghz, 1TB NVMe SSD, 32GiB 3000Mhz DDR4, GTX1080 running Mint 21.3
Laptop: Asus UM425UAZ running LMDE 6
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

I, on the other hand, am one of those select few freaks that knows you don't in fact need to be one of a select few freaks to use a windows computer safely without an anti malware protecting you.
bad medicine
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bad medicine »

I am one of those freaks who doesnt like my computer doing shit without telling me what its doing, and in Windows I have to constantly be on the lookout for it. One of my biggest gripes is things gobbling up my bandwidth. I was just over on my Windows partition and everything was glued up. I could barely download an email. Web pages were taking forEVER to load. Something was obviously updating without my expressed written consent, and there's no way to know what it was so I just shut down and rebooted into Mint. Well, there ARE ways to find out what it is...when I was on dialup not all that long ago I used to run a TCP check program that enabled me to crush processes accessing the internet that didn't need to be.

But what a freaking PIA it all is. Mint just works and I don't have to hassle with tracking, hunting and killing parts of my computer on a daily basis.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Grayfox wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:30 pm
me too......... hated having to switch users.............

I ran with Full Admin rights for 20 years, and never a problem....

until recently, when I using it as my workstation, it is now idling mostly, and I put it in full restricted mode as it is a server now.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
bad medicine
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bad medicine »

Well it didn't take long, did it....I've only been using Windows regularly for 5 weeks.

Today it decided there are problems on a shared (with Mint) partition, and started a checkdisk process that would have lasted at least a couple hours if I had let it continue. It threw up messages about numerous orphaned files with numerical names only, ("File 13520 has been orphaned) and "Deleting Invalid Filename" showing names of valid (and valuable) files. From what I can see, these were all pdf files which have worked beautifully in Mint, and I'm afraid if I let Windows "repair" them I will be worse off. What is this all about? Mint uses the same drive daily and never complains of errors
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

bad medicine wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:10 am ("File 13520 has been orphaned) and "Deleting Invalid Filename" showing names of valid (and valuable) files.
The latter part sounds like you having on Linux created files with on Windows not (generally) valid filenames, "either because [they] contain some not allowed character (which are the nine characters " * / : < > ? \ | and those whose code is less than 0x20) or because the last character is a space or a dot" or the name being a reserved name such as "CON" or "PRN". The quote is from the NTFS-3G man page description of the "windows_names" mount option which you can set if you want NTFS-3G to keep an eye on you in that respect.

Of course, all numeric filenames are as legal on Windows as they are on Linux so the first part of your description doesn't seem to match, but if it is the issue simply renaming the files Linux-sides is the solution. That, or just not running Windows chkdsk; there're no fundamental problem with filenames as described above as far as NTFS is concerned, it's just Windows itself that doesn't like them (this is also the reason those filenames are allowed by default under NTFS-3G).
bad medicine
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bad medicine »

rene wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:24 am
bad medicine wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:10 am ("File 13520 has been orphaned) and "Deleting Invalid Filename" showing names of valid (and valuable) files.
The latter part sounds like you having on Linux created files with on Windows not (generally) valid filenames, "either because [they] contain some not allowed character (which are the nine characters " * / : < > ? \ | and those whose code is less than 0x20) or because the last character is a space or a dot" or the name being a reserved name such as "CON" or "PRN". The quote is from the NTFS-3G man page description of the "windows_names" mount option which you can set if you want NTFS-3G to keep an eye on you in that respect.

Of course, all numeric filenames are as legal on Windows as they are on Linux so the first part of your description doesn't seem to match, but if it is the issue simply renaming the files Linux-sides is the solution. That, or just not running Windows chkdsk; there're no fundamental problem with filenames as described above as far as NTFS is concerned, it's just Windows itself that doesn't like them (this is also the reason those filenames are allowed by default under NTFS-3G).
Wulll,,,why did Windows suddenly start worrying about these files now? They have been there since long before I started using W7 again in January.

I guess I dont need to worry about it but Is there a way to prevent chkdsk from starting for such petty, inconsequential things? Its easy enough to key out of it but I'd rather it not start on its own every time I boot into W7. There are literally hundreds of files with names names it wont like, and I'm not renaming them.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

bad medicine wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:04 pm [ ... ] and I'm not renaming them.
Was!?! Du werdest machen was Microsoft dir sagt, slechte-Medizinen Hund!

Anyways. If the according to Windows bady named files are not new the answer supposedly is that you have a more or less bona fide problem on the NTFS partition causing chkdsk to trigger, which then just also stumbles over the filenames. Not being a Windows user I haven't a more insightful idea than copying the files to safety on an e.g. ext4 formatted external drive, deleting them from the NTFS partition, letting chkdsk do its thing and copying them back. A Windows user might...

Do find it hard to not remark that this and similar is simply to be expected: if you let Windows anywhere near your system you will run into situations where Microsoft dictates what you can and cannot do with your computer. For situations where need or want for Windows is more important than that I really quite fully advise a secondary machine.
bad medicine
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bad medicine »

yes I think keeping Windows at arms length from my Linux machine is a great idea going forward. I don't believe for a second there's anything wrong with my disk that can't be cured by avoiding Windows.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

rene wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:28 am ...
Hund = Dog > is an insult. So superfluous.
Otherwise you could say:
Was!?! Du wirst machen, was Microsoft Dir sagt, Du Schlechte Medizin!
Better:
Mach gefälligst, was Microsoft Dir vorschreibt!
:mrgreen:
bad medicine
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bad medicine »

absque fenestris wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:25 pm
rene wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:28 am ...
Hund = Dog > is an insult. So superfluous.
Otherwise you could say:
Was!?! Du wirst machen, was Microsoft Dir sagt, Du Schlechte Medizin!
Better:
Mach gefälligst, was Microsoft Dir vorschreibt!
:mrgreen:
babelfish translation:

What! You're going to, what tells you Microsoft, you bad medicine! Do just what prescribes Microsoft! :lol:

I think I'll just figure out how to check the disk in Mint, and go with those results. Eff Microsoft.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

absque fenestris wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:25 pm Hund = Dog > is an insult. So superfluous.
Well, no, that hyphen was functional. That is, it was the Mezinen that were slecht, leaving need for the stand-alone insult of the person.

Other than that I would find the tone of especially your last variant a little too... well... let's say "neutral" ;-)

Return to “Open Chat”