SSD is beginning to make serious inroads on storage

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

SSD is beginning to make serious inroads on storage

Post by AZgl1800 »

It seems that spinning storage shipments are down approx 15% recently.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/01/1 ... hips_down/

I have been using a Samsung 500gB SSD and not even trying in the least to worry about how many things I store, then delete.....

I just don't even think about it failing period.
My daughter's laptop came with a SSD as the only storage medium in it.

I do keep intermittent extUSB backups
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
redlined

Re: SSD is beginning to make serious inroads on storage

Post by redlined »

I'm sold!

it's the price per GB, just like platter drives price points along the way, early external USB HDDs, early external mem storage (think USB stick 128MB for $100 :shock:

now a 1TB Samsung SATA III 860 EVO with vNAND has been under $150 since before Black Friday and the 1TB WD SATA III Blue with 3d NAND under $140 (get a 4TB platter drive thrown in for another $100 8) puts it into perspective.

SSD is designed for Terabytes Written (TBW) and Mean Time Before Fail (MTBF) Mean Time To Failure (MTTF) (Mean time is measured in Million Hours, wow, wrap yer head around that figure!:D), even lowballin the warranty period manufacturers know 5 years is financially 'safe' to assure....

and considering the scope of even daily rigorous use there is little doubt this is the FUD killing factor to consider. it does not have the same mechanical parts to degrade and it is definitely not the same memory as "flash" (e.g. system mem) nor is it close to the memory drive controller of yester-year... this latest couple year of dev is built to last...and last...and :roll:

anyways, I put off a good number of system and network upgrades end of this year in order to capitalize on SSD prices this past season and all 1TB (was best price per GB, compared to 500GB and 2TB for sure), ended my shopping spree with 3x Samsung 860 EVO, 1 WD Blue, 1 Crucial mx500 for 3 systems and a networked storage upgrade adn damn pleased to shift away from some very aged platters (all driven by this laptop I post now from suffering the infamous Click of Death failure last March, leading me to LM18.3 on my old tuffbook until I got the harddrive replacement decided... SSD saved the day, for sure and just feels quick and smooth since.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

redlined wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:34 pm I'm sold!

anyways, I put off a good number of system and network upgrades end of this year in order to capitalize on SSD prices this past season and all 1TB (was best price per GB, compared to 500GB and 2TB for sure), ended my shopping spree with 3x Samsung 860 EVO, 1 WD Blue, 1 Crucial mx500 for 3 systems and a networked storage upgrade adn damn pleased to shift away from some very aged platters (all driven by this laptop I post now from suffering the infamous Click of Death failure last March, leading me to LM18.3 on my old tuffbook until I got the harddrive replacement decided... SSD saved the day, for sure and just feels quick and smooth since.
I loved my old Panasonic Toughbooks.... started with the CF-27, the last one was a CF-32
but alas, they belong to the gov'mint I used to work for, and when I retired, the stayed behind.

I love the Samsung 860 500gB that is in this ASUS TP500L laptop.
bootup is fast, operation is fast.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I posted on here somewhere about the difference in system boot times and overall performance back when I bought my Samsung 250GB SSD, and I continue to be very happy with it. I think I'm going on like two years or so. I can't imagine every going back to an HDD as a system drive.

I do, however, have an external 4TB HDD as my primary archive storage drive.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

just received a gift of a brand new SSD today from one of my high school linux students from the youth center, i was surprised by not only that, but the 5 minute only install time for the linux OS, then was surprised further that my boot time is now 3 seconds rather than 13 seconds from my "spinner" HD.

the only other thing i noticed though was the temp...my spinner was always between 30c to 34c...the SSD is 40c steady temp...is 40c normal temp on an SSD?...DAMIEN
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

My SSD laptop is maybe 10°F warmer than ambient, can barely feel any warmth from it on my lap.

dunno what the cpu temp is
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Interesting thread. Still the price (relative to external harddisc) is keeping me back from buying them to store my video collection on them though. But I am considering buying a small external SSD to clone my small sized LinuxMint OS to.

In 2 longterm studies I read it is mentioned that having a backup is of even more importance with SSD because of a higher error rate compared to harddiscs.

Not repeated usage, but simple ageing seems to be the main factor for failing SSD's.

And the higher the temperature of a SSD, the sooner they will fail. Bad news for those who live in tropical regions without airconditioning?

https://www.zdnet.com/article/ssd-relia ... xperience/

https://www.storagereview.com/first_lar ... t_facebook

Return to “Open Chat”