Blue Monday is coming soon! Anyone kept their new year's resolution?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
carum carvi

Blue Monday is coming soon! Anyone kept their new year's resolution?

Post by carum carvi »

Blue Monday is THE most depressing day of the year. There is a hocus pocus "formula" that calculates on which monday of January the most people already have broken their New Year's resolutions and are basically depressed about the knowledge that "nothing changes on New Year's day " Blue Monday is coming soon, we are only a week away (Monday january 21) from the gloomiest day of the entire year.

Any Linux members out there who have still kept (one of) their New Year's promises?

I have broken mine twice already. I had promised myself NOT to eat junkfood and to stop with the booze. Guess what... :oops: :oops: :oops:
Sigh, does really nothing change on New Year's day?

( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdLuk2Agamk )
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Blue Monday is coming soon! Anyone kept their new year's resolution?

Post by Moem »

My resolution is the same as it was last year.
Good old 1280x800.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Moem wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:00 pm My resolution is the same as it was last year.
Good old 1280x800.
*high-fives Moem*
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Portreve wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:22 pm *high-fives Moem*
✋

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I stand an extremely good chance of keeping my new years resolution, and that is to avoid installing windwoes on any of my computers this year.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I resolved years ago to never make resolutions again, and have kept it ever since.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
David Chiang
Level 3
Level 3

Post by David Chiang »

Moem wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:00 pm My resolution is the same as it was last year. Good old 1280 x 800.
Exactly the same I have kept too.
If I need new resolutions, then I take these immediately, not just on New Year! :wink:
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

For most of my life, I have not gotten into the whole making of New Year's Resolutions thing because, frankly, I've lived pretty much just day-to-day with no particular game plan on mind.

However, the last three years have seen some significant changes to that, the most significant of which happened late this past year.

Therefore, I have had some New Year's Resolutions, and I think what makes these worthwhile is what makes them actionable: they are defined and they are very concrete things.

A very good friend of mine who is from Germany has said and done some things which are, as I write this, changing my life, and actually giving me a future with pursuing (as opposed to simply engaging in preventing starvation, which is how I view most of my adult life) so there's a bunch of things I've set myself to get accomplished over the next 18 months.

P.S.: I think what makes most New Year's Resolutions untenable is they're kind of like saying, "When I grow up, I want to be successful." It sounds nice, but it doesn't actually mean anything.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
David Chiang
Level 3
Level 3

Post by David Chiang »

Portreve wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:18 pm However, the last three years have seen some significant changes to that, the most significant of which happened late this past year. Therefore, I have had some New Year's Resolutions, and I think what makes these worthwhile is what makes them actionable: they are defined and they are very concrete things.
But one should not confuse the possible intentions with a concrete life plan, because that would be something completely different. Life is just too short to waste on unimportant things that just serve to sustain one's existence. Who wants to lead a meaningless life, without any attempt to design it according to their own idea? The most important key to a successful and fulfilling life is always to stay active. All these good New Year's resolutions can therefore be understood as an exotic form of self-criticism. :wink:
LMDE 5 Elsie (64-bit), Linux Kernel 5.10.0, Cinnamon 5.6.8, inxi 3.3.28;
HTPC: ASUS TUF B450M-Pro Gaming, 3.6 GHz AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (8 cores),
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100, 2 × 4 TiB Seagate BarraCuda ES.3, 4 × 16 GiB HyperX Predator DDR4;

Return to “Open Chat”