Are there any negative consequences to charging cell phone via computer USB port(s) ?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Are there any negative consequences to charging cell phone via computer USB port(s) ?

Post by wpshooter »

Are there any negative consequences (either hardware or software) to charging cell phone batteries via computer
USB ports ?

I am not concerned / talking about negative consequences / damage to the cell phone, I am rather asking about
possible damage to either the source/hosting computer hardware or it's software (both operating system and/or
applications.

I have done some researching on this and there seems to be varying answers, some of which seem to indicate
(if I am interpreting it correctly) that damage can be done to the cell phone software files but again my concern
is with the resources of the computer.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Are there any negative conquences to charging cell phone via computer USB port(s) ?

Post by xenopeek »

I don't know about damage to the phone or computer hardware. Possibly fast charging—or not fast charging—your phone can have impact on battery life expectancy. With some USB ports (probably USB 3.2 type C) it may provide enough for fast charging and with older USB ports it may not?

As for your computer, root kits can infect through USB so don't connect "dirty" USB devices to your computer if you're worried about that. It's probably extremely improbable you get a root kit through your phone (or at all) but you're asking :)
MrGrimm

Re: Are there any negative conquences to charging cell phone via computer USB port(s) ?

Post by MrGrimm »

rather usb 2.0 or later most phones have a fast and slow charge. with mine if it's at 78% or higher it slow charges and below 78% fast charges. does not matter if it's plugged into the wall or the tower cause the phone regulates the power input. the only real benifit of usb 3.0 and newer is faster file transfer.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

xenopeek wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:29 pm I don't know about damage to the phone or computer hardware. Possibly fast charging—or not fast charging—your phone can have impact on battery life expectancy. With some USB ports (probably USB 3.2 type C) it may provide enough for fast charging and with older USB ports it may not?

As for your computer, root kits can infect through USB so don't connect "dirty" USB devices to your computer if you're worried about that. It's probably extremely improbable you get a root kit through your phone (or at all) but you're asking :)
Thanks for your reply. When you say "dirty USB devices" I assume you mean virus infected, etc. and
are you meaning devices like USB memory/thumb drives or are you speaking in the vain of cell phones ?

Also, are these root kits something that could cause any problems with the computer if the computer is NOT ever (and has never
been since the OS was installed) connected to the Internet ?

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

just make sure you have antivirus on the phone and the computer.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

MrGrimm wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:58 pm just make sure you have antivirus on the phone and the computer.
I know there is nothing you can do about this but the guy who owns the computer
refuses to have Internet connectivity (and in some ways I can see his point) so
unlikely there are any Internet delivered infections on his computer (unless they did
come from the phone that is being charged) and his son owns the phone that is being charged off of the
computers USB port, so I have no idea as to if it might be infected but undoubtedly
it is connected to the Internet.

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Are there any negative consequences to charging cell phone via computer USB port(s) ?

Post by wpshooter »

rlm wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:23 pm Get a charging only cable or data blocker.

For example

https://www.amazon.com/PortaPow-Special ... ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.com/PortaPow-3rd-Dat ... ref=plSrch
Great info, thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Are there any negative consequences to charging cell phone via computer USB port(s) ?

Post by wpshooter »

A followup question.

Can a rootkit infection cause problems (note, I am not asking about security type problems), but other
behavioral problems (like system/application crashes/freezes, etc., etc.) on a computer that is NOT/has
no Internet connectivity ? For example if the infection came from a USB device that was plugged into
the computer.

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

yes. any usb device with a file system on it has the potential of infecting a pc. from what you said it's more likely that there something on the pc simply broke.

Return to “Open Chat”