Over 1 Billion Login Credentials Leaked

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Over 1 Billion Login Credentials Leaked

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
MrGrimm, keep it down, this is a friendly forum and that's how we're going to keep it.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

MrGrimm wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:41 pm we all expect at least one review from sites like [ ... ]
Main issue here would be that some if not many would in fact rather trust themselves than any of the sites you mention. You apparently do not which, don't get me wrong, may of course certainly be a wise choice. Other than that the sites you mention are also fairly much predominantly North American as far as their public is concerned; this forum is not.

Try though if https://opensource.com/article/18/3/beh ... -bitwarden does something for you.
philotux

Post by philotux »

Aren't spamming and trolling against the forum rules? Certain posts in this thread certainly qualify as such, making the thread utterly cluttered and getting in the way of those seeking information and wanting to engage in a mature discussion. For not talking about the disrespectful, and rude tone and wording in them.

Mods, please take action and remove them from this thread if you see fit.
Faust

Post by Faust »

philotux wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:41 am ........ making the thread utterly cluttered and getting in the way of those seeking information ......
Bitwarden is clearly of interest to some people here so I've started a new topic
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=286327&sid=8487cde ... 0133db6759

There has been some good discussion so far , but given the subject title of this thread , I thought it would be more visible if it were split off .
philotux

Post by philotux »

Faust wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:54 am Bitwarden is clearly of interest to some people here so I've started a new topic
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=286327&sid=8487cde ... 0133db6759

There has been some good discussion so far , but given the subject title of this thread , I thought it would be more visible if it were split off .
Thank you Faust!
You are right, the discussion on Bitwarden deserves it's own thread for the reason you mention. I'll be following the thread you have started.
redlined

Post by redlined »

MrGrimm wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:41 pm there is NOTHING wrong with what i expect and you damn well know it. do not try to bs me again. we all expect at least one review from sites like foss, fosshub, cnet, how-to-geeks, superuser. you know sites almost everyone knows, and yet not one out there for this.
MrGrimm, on one hand I can agree with the statement "there is NOTHING wrong with what i expect", until you foist your beliefs and expectations on others and do so by making bold and broad assumptions, such as "we all expect at least one review from sites like" because frankly We don't all think alike, nor have the same expectations nor the same privacy and security concerns.

I'm not BS'in you, nor trying to cause conflict/be antagonistic, rather sharing why I do appreciate street cred over some anonymous other I know nothing about besides some title of address in review publishing websites, that might or might not satisfy my concerns over their credibility, but that is for me alone to decide and my decision marks when I take responsibility for my action leaving me no one to blame for any review or advice received.

FWIW, My biggest determining factor becomes who's making the money and I believe it is fairly common for folks to consider this when giving weight to the words of review websites. Not to be paranoid about everything, but a healthy scepticism, with a genuine desire to remain curious and listen, minimizing assuming and expecting anything, is my approach. and when I see some active, knowledgable and effective community member speak from experience and further shares due diligence done in considering other options then I listen with a more open ear versus relying on reading the normally regurgitated stuff that gets cross-published everywhere when some secret demographic pushes little known apps to a popular rating and many of these websites basically rehash the original project author's words.

anyways, we got us a mod note to help adjust this. I concede, saying we all have different desires and expectations and leave it at that because my decisions have been made to continue on with keepassxc while I remain curious about bitwarden so will learn more about it in that new thread dedicated.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

I by the way just now ran into notes I made when I was looking at password managers last which in fact conclude "Wait for Firefox Lockbox".

Lockbox is another online password manager (i.e., like LastPass or Bitwarden) from Mozilla that's been in development for some time and is being tested on iOS since 6 or 7 months. It's currently hard to find information beyond the initial announcements flurry but although I had sort of forgotten again, had sort of semi-definitively settled on an offline one, I do still think that might be interesting future competition certainly for LastPass and Bitwarden.

Now, we have since I noted such experienced Edge going with Blink/V8 and, therefore , Firefox and Mozilla's future perhaps needing some second thought, but still seems something this thread wants remarked as well.
redlined

Post by redlined »

Firefox Lockbox sounds interesting... at first glance it begs the question, why?

especially seeing the requirement for FF account, is this something different than FF sync, or more to have a solid password 'cloud syncing' management tool (from mozilla) for folks who don't want FF on desktop and/or cell phone?
philotux

Post by philotux »

Does anyone know if there is a corresponding app to KeePassXC for Android. I have looked at a couple with keepass in their names but none seems to be an "official" one.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

philotux wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:00 pm Does anyone know if there is a corresponding app to KeePassXC for Android.
Not so much KeePassXC itself, but given the local nature of KeePassXC, i.e., you needing to synchronize the actual database between devices manually anyway, we're now only talking about an Android app needing to understand the .kdbx format. KeePassXC recommends https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ss2android.

See https://keepassxc.org/docs/#faq-platform-mobile
philotux

Post by philotux »

rene wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:17 pm
philotux wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:00 pm Does anyone know if there is a corresponding app to KeePassXC for Android.
Not so much KeePassXC itself, but given the local nature of KeePassXC, i.e., you needing to synchronize the actual database between devices manually anyway, we're now only talking about an Android app needing to understand the .kdbx format. KeePassXC recommends https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ss2android.

See https://keepassxc.org/docs/#faq-platform-mobile
Thanks rene, again and always!
"philotux"
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

redlined wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:56 pm especially seeing the requirement for FF account, is this something different than FF sync, or more to have a solid password 'cloud syncing' management tool (from mozilla) for folks who don't want FF on desktop and/or cell phone?
Yes, it's different, and first and foremost in the sense of it being wider applicable than to just your browser. I.e., an iOS or Android implementation of Lockbox would store passwords for any and all apps; email apps, social networking accounts, whatever people do on mobile phones. It it as such more comparable to the e.g. GNOME or KDE keyrings, assuming that those would've ever gotten actually useful: a system secrets store a browser would be just one client of.

Other than that it is of course also the case that an actual password manager would include e.g. a password generator, supposedly the possibility to arrange passwords per categories rather than just storing them all as a flat list as Firefox currently does, adding custom fields to entries so that you can store e.g. secret question/answer pairs for services that use them -- and so on.

And other than THAT, yes, currently Firefox Sync is a superset if you're only interested in browser support in the first place... :wink:
redlined

Post by redlined »

got it, thanks rene!

added self to android notify list, will sort how to get it on my Linux when that dev becomes available :mrgreen:

Return to “Open Chat”