Privacy in Firefox Is not what you think it is

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Privacy in Firefox Is not what you think it is

Post by AZgl1800 »

eddycanuck wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:29 am
AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:29 pm hi Lazy and Stupid!
Your worry, is all your own, I have used Firefox since it was born in its' infancy stages, and I have YET to have been handed over to the wolves....
Sorry but I am very sceptical of that claim. I would disagree and merely ask "How would you know that you had not been turned over to the wolves?" Obviously - you wouldn't and Mozilla (not to forget Amazon, Google, Yahoo, Facebook & Twitter) have already disclosed in a number of ways how that has happened.

I, like you was a fairly contented Firefox user for a long time but even you must have noticed a "new direction" over the last 2-3yrs. Certainly I have (and I think this 2017 article outlines a few of those concerns quite well).

https://www.howtogeek.com/336493/despit ... t-its-way/

No - I have switched to Brave - started by one of the ORIGINAL founders/creators of Mozilla (Brendan Eich) and after 12mths (and a few hiccups with the developing models) I can confidently say I am very happy with the result.
Okay,
I just installed and looked at Brave........... what a piece of crap software.
carbon copy of Chrome, which also does not handle Bookmarks correctly.

it made such a mangled mess of my Firefox Bookmarks, it made me want to puke.

You can keep using it, I don't care, I won't, I am done with my experiment....
end discussion...
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

eddycanuck wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:29 am
AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:29 pm Your worry, is all your own, I have used Firefox since it was born in its' infancy stages, and I have YET to have been handed over to the wolves....
Sorry but I am very sceptical of that claim. I would disagree and merely ask "How would you know that you had not been turned over to the wolves?" Obviously - you wouldn't and Mozilla (not to forget Amazon, Google, Yahoo, Facebook & Twitter) have already disclosed in a number of ways how that has happened.
Agreed. We generally do not get a phone call or a postcard from 'the wolves' saying 'Hey thank you for all your data, we'll make a nice profile of you now so we can advertise at you'.

A lot of people have such worries and I think that this is wise. Personally I feel more at home with Waterfox, which means trusting Alex Kontos... so who really knows? At least it's open source so cleverer folks than I am can check his claims.

By the way, AZgl1500, I'm pretty certain that Waterfox handles bookmarks in the way that you prefer. It's enough like Firefox in that respect. And it shares no code with Chrome.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi eddycanuck...keep in mind that though i use Brave at present myself, there may come some changes coming shortly in which i have mentioned on another thread i started.
AZg and Moem are correct in pointing out that Brave is also a Chromium based browser, and as such the proposed change in the Chromium base of controlling ad-blocking the "Google" way will kill ublock origin and umatrix according to the developer of of those 2 extensions.
Needless to say, that by itself will force me to abandon Brave browser,(it shares code with Google Chrome), because of the surreptitious way that Google will use to make this happen with ALL chromium based browsers, thus compromising our personal privacy protections by effectively taking it out of the users control...DAMIEN
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

Lazy and Stupid wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:49 pm.............................................
You have no control of what happens with places.sqlite through privacy or any other settings available to the ordinary user.
Places.sqlite records everything no matter what you select in privacy settings.
...hint: ever heard of about:config, places.history.enabled false?
Please don't tell me that...an 'ordinary user' can't type about:config in the bar...
Edit - Preferences - Privacy & Security - History - "Never Remember History" should have the same effect as well...

And speaking of it - using chattr + on a file which is dynamically updated / written to,
(and even more when not knowing what touch does, in indeed a bit lazy...) :)
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Moem wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:05 am
A lot of people have such worries and I think that this is wise. Personally I feel more at home with Waterfox, which means trusting Alex Kontos... so who really knows? At least it's open source so cleverer folks than I am can check his claims.

By the way, AZgl1500, I'm pretty certain that Waterfox handles bookmarks in the way that you prefer. It's enough like Firefox in that respect. And it shares no code with Chrome.
I have tried Waterfox, and it does not follow Firefox close enough to keep me using it,
I deleted the install.....
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

AZgl1500 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:41 pm I have tried Waterfox, and it does not follow Firefox close enough to keep me using it,
I deleted the install.....
Well, now at least you know, so you're making an informed choice.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

AZgl1500 wrote:
I have tried Waterfox, and it does not follow Firefox close enough
For me, that's a good point.

Return to “Open Chat”