Headphone -v- earbuds... (SOLVED)

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Headphone -v- earbuds... (SOLVED)

Post by tenfoot »

Using Linux Mint v19.1 Mate

My ancient headphones haver finally failed and I've been considering whether to replace them with another set of headphones or change over to earbuds. Pricewise there seems to be little difference.

O.K. my questions is aimed at those members who listen to music and or videos through either headphones or earbuds. In your experience, what are to the positives or negatives of either, please?

Admins. If this topic is not posted in the correct forum, please transfer to where it should be.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Headphone -v- earbuds...

Post by Portreve »

My daily driver is an LG HBS-810 around-the-neck Bluetooth headset. The sound quality is pretty decent, and because they are earplug-style ear buds, they block out a lot of external sound. I like them; however, I find in-ear devices irritating. I have to be careful because I get a lot of ear wax buildup that way, and I also tend to be susceptible to ear infections.

The reason I bought them is... well, is a long story, but there's two parts. The first one is I travel for work and so I need telophony-related abilities. The second reason is many of the single ear earpiece types aren't fully compatible (many models don't support a new enough Bluetooth headset standard) and so they have some compatibility issues.

The outer part of my left ear is just slightly deformed enough that I can't wear Apple-style ear buds in it, so standard ear buds aren't an option for me.

If I'm actually trying to appreciate the audio I'm listening to, for whatever reason, I prefer standard headphones. I presently use a Sony MDR-ZX110NC headset which has active noise cancellation and they sound pretty good. I'm not an audiophile, and while I like music¹, I'm not so into it that I care beyond having it sound decent (i.e. not tinny, flat, etc.) and for my money, they do the job.

¹ In general, I listen to music when I feel like being entertained. I prefer silence when I'm working; I require it when doing anything creative or which requires a lot of thought and concentration (music interferes with my ability to concentrate).
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

I have a Bose AE2 Soundlink Bluetooth headset. It connects fine on my iMac 9.1 with Mint 19.0 Cinnamon. As true of all battery operated devices, the battery is great at the beginning but does degrade a bit over time. There is also a wired connector that doesn't require you to power on the device at all while listening. They also have a microphone if you need it but that is Bluetooth only.

The best set of earbuds I ever owned were made by Philips and they actually stayed in my ear! With earbuds, I'm always having to put those foam ear plugs in behind them so they'll sit in my ear properly and won't fall out.

I like over-the-ear because they block out more ambient sound but they do get uncomfortable after a few hours while earbuds don't. Just be prepared for things like that.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I have custom made hearing aids which are great for watching TV or anything else in a relatively quiet room because they have a remote microphone that I can turn on if I need it. HOWEVER, they are not BT compatible, more's the pity. Conventional ear buds just do not stay in my ears owing to an accident in 2001 (my right ear was torn off) so, it's either custom made ones or headphones.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
lexon

Post by lexon »

I went from cable ear buds to Bluetooth era buds and now Bluetooth hearing aids. Not bad for $50.00 US funds. Works with iPhone also. Being a US Veteran helps.

L
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

@portreve
If I'm actually trying to appreciate the audio I'm listening to, for whatever reason, I prefer standard headphones. I presently use a Sony MDR-ZX110NC headset which has active noise cancellation and they sound pretty good. I'm not an audiophile, and while I like music¹, I'm not so into it that I care beyond having it sound decent (i.e. not tinny, flat, etc.) and for my money, they do the job.
Thank you for the suggestion. I've had a look at these and they are on my list to compare with others. Mostly they will be used for listening to the music on my computer and for listening to music in youtube videos, so could well become first choice.

@ CaptainKirksChair
have a Bose AE2 Soundlink Bluetooth headset. It connects fine on my iMac 9.1 with Mint 19.0 Cinnamon. As true of all battery operated devices, the battery is great at the beginning but does degrade a bit over time. There is also a wired connector that doesn't require you to power on the device at all while listening. They also have a microphone if you need it but that is Bluetooth only.
Haven't got bluetooth on my desktop. Even if I had, though, Bose are out of my price range but thanks for the insight.

Thank you, too, to lsemmens and lexon Your remarks are helpful.

All of you have given me some helpful suggestions, so I will now marked this as SOLVED/
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
garry9
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Headphone -v- earbuds... (SOLVED)

Post by garry9 »

Same. Thanks for sharing!

Return to “Open Chat”