Privacy is not just a personal matter

Chat about just about anything else
GS3
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Privacy is not just a personal matter

Post by GS3 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:54 pm

Thanks Moem and absquefenestris, that looks interesting. I am afraid I know nothing about Android and have no idea how I would go about installing LineageOS if that is possible. I will look into it.

In any case, I am finding out that to install most apps you need to register with a Google account so, even if the OS is not directly spying on you, the APPs will do it, even if to a lesser degree.
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-170-generic X64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo

absque fenestris
Level 6
Level 6

Post by absque fenestris » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:58 pm

GS3 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:54 pm
Thanks Moem and absquefenestris, that looks interesting. I am afraid I know nothing about Android and have no idea how I would go about installing LineageOS if that is possible. I will look into it.

In any case, I am finding out that to install most apps you need to register with a Google account so, even if the OS is not directly spying on you, the APPs will do it, even if to a lesser degree.
No, there is F-Droid

https://f-droid.org

F-Droid is an installable catalogue of FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) applications for the Android platform. The client makes it easy to browse, install, and keep track of updates on your device.
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

GS3
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GS3 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:05 pm

Thanks, I see there is a version of lineageOS for my phone (470 MB!) but I will have to learn how to install it because I haven't the foggiest idea. The good thing is that I can risk playing around because it is not a phone I am using.

In fact it was given to me because the battery hardly holds a charge. A friend told me I can expect to pay about 50 EUR for the battery replacement and I do not think it is worth it for me. I have never paid a cent for a phone as I just inherit used phones. I guess I could just carry a battery pack attached.
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-170-generic X64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo

absque fenestris
Level 6
Level 6

Post by absque fenestris » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:23 pm

Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

GS3
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GS3 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:37 pm

Thanks, I already saw a Youtube video showing how to do the replacement. I know I could do it but I think I would rather pay someone who has some practice and that would save me time and frustration. It seems the battery itself is the greater part of the cost. I would probably use it with a battery pack for a while and if and when I get to like it then I would replace the internal battery.

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:33 pm

My issue with LineageOS is simply there is some kind of problem with the camera driver components for the Nexus 6, and as I need my camera for my job, the "play around with it on a host computer's command line" is not an option for me. That's why I run NitrogenOS.

I am concerned about Alphabet's frequently-discussed Fushia (sp?) because there is tremendous value in the AOSP, projects like F-Droid being stand-out examples.

If things work out for me as well as for PureOS, my hope is to leave Android within, say, the next 36 months or so.
Zen Buddhism: The Journey Is The Reward
Realist: The Gurney Is The Reward

Remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

“They said my computer wasn't strong enough for Windows 10, so I had to get one with more strongerness.”
— Overheard random customer

GS3
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GS3 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:51 pm

Oh, I had not thought that I might have problems and have to return to Android. If I install another OS can I later re-install Android? In fact, this phone comes with some ATT-specific version and I would rather have a generic version. Is that possible?

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:41 pm

i see we google to back off their plans to block and remove adblockers. it's a good start.

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:45 pm

As I'm sitting here, looking again at this thread, I'm struck by the title, and there really is an essential truth here: “Privacy is not just a personal matter.”

Just like with, for example, vaccinating your child (or yourself), privacy in the digital era is about more than mere self-safety: it's about herd immunization. Someone with some of your information, no matter how much you might protect yourself, is inherently a risk to you if they do not protect themselves. In either case, you'd be just as foolish not to encourage everyone to protect themselves as you would be not to protect yourself (or your child).

Sometimes I really do think this ignorant, laissez-faire attitude we find about people with respect to their own lives, the technology they own, the services they use, is going to be the death of all of us.

“They said my computer wasn't strong enough for Windows 10, so I had to get one with more strongerness.”

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:13 pm

you do realize your comments go without saying, st therefore no need to say them.

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:59 pm

MrGrimm wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:13 pm
you do realize your comments go without saying, st therefore no need to say them.
To quote Ambassador Kosh, “The truth points to itself.” Unfortunately, another quote of his also comes to mind: “The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.”

Return to “Open chat”