Is this Alzheimer's?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Is this Alzheimer's?

Post by mediclaser »

As of this writing, It's been more than half an hour since I realize I cannot remember the password I've been using on 4 of my printing machines. This is the password I've been using on these machines for almost 10 years now. The password has not changed since it was first used. The password is only needed every time a machine is restarted. It happens on average of 2 to 4 times a week. Also, I find it weird that I know the last 2 characters and that it starts with a capital letter. But I cannot remember anything else. There are no other passwords I use that ends in the same last 2 characters. I can call a co-worker to ask, but I think I need to try to remember. What is going on with me? Is this a symptom of Alzheimer's?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Is this Alzheimer's?

Post by lsemmens »

More likely you've just forgotten with all the other things going on. Go and have a brew, do something else for a while and then attempt to print again, I bet you'll just type it automatically without thinking. FWIW I could not tell you, without thinking hard what my banking name or password is, but muscle memory takes over and I know it's correct as I type it.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

Okay, I finally remembered about 5 minutes after posting here. But it was so weird.

You're right about muscle memory. My finger was pointing at the correct first character during the moment I was trying hard to remember while my hands were positioned over the keyboard. I just could not do it because I could not remember. :lol:

Whew!
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

It was simply a brain fart is all.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Perhaps a TIA (Transient Ischemic Attack) or "mini-stroke"? I had one of those a couple of years ago. You might want to mention this incident to your doctor. Yes, I am serious.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

For me it's a function of age, how many times do I go into a room and then can't remember what it was I was going to get :D

Install a password manager, not just for the security, I can remember my password to logon, but beyond that....
I use keepass.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

jimallyn wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:06 am You might want to mention this incident to your doctor. Yes, I am serious.
I agree.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

Interestingly, I have been using harder-to-remember passwords on my personal online activities. And I use them even less frequent, but I never experienced the same weird mental block I have had here.

Anyways, I'll probably control my diet for this to be on the safe side. I used to ride my trail bike somewhat fast but have been going slow lately since I started riding with my little boy. I'm also very active with my only wife (if that helps). Had to check my BMI today and I get 21.9 (hope that is not bad).
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

Something happened again when I took a family member to doctor today. Upon check out, I asked the ladies in-charge at the front desk for a doctor's note and the next appointment schedule. After noting on my calendar the next appointment date, I then proceeded to leave and forgot about the note that I asked for. It took more than 2 hours before I realized what I have forgotten.

I'm not liking this...really. :(
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Like in a conversation you can't say the name of an old acquaintance--but it's on the tip of your tongue, it's so familiar it puzzles you as to why you can't say it----then later when you are completly detached it pops into your mind.
There has to be a medical terminology for this.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

mediclaser wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:59 pm Something happened again when I took a family member to doctor today. Upon check out, I asked the ladies in-charge at the front desk for a doctor's note and the next appointment schedule. After noting on my calendar the next appointment date, I then proceeded to leave and forgot about the note that I asked for. It took more than 2 hours before I realized what I have forgotten.

I'm not liking this...really. :(
i do this all the time. take some fish oil vitamins (omega 3) and next time you have a doctor visit ask your doctor for a vitamin-B shot or supplements. sometimes i'll be talking to someone and i'll notice myself as if i'm watching a movie projected on the inside of my eye lids that only i can see and then forget what we were talking about. if you are getting older, it's a sign of aging. just as your eyesight goes dimmer so does everything else
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

all41 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:32 pm
There has to be a medical terminology for this.
Yes, it's called senility. Welcome to my world.
Cliff Coggin
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

please heed jimallyns warning where he said,
Perhaps a TIA (Transient Ischemic Attack) or "mini-stroke"? I had one of those a couple of years ago. You might want to mention this incident to your doctor. Yes, I am serious.
the reason i mention this is i have had 6 TIAs that we know of thus far since 2009 plus one heart attack before that in 2007, im only 64 yrs old...it will definitely affect ones memory...DAMIEN

Return to “Open Chat”