Verify & Authenticate

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Kelly76

Verify & Authenticate

Post by Kelly76 »

I'm new to Linux but old to the world. I've struggled for nearly a week trying to apply the recommended commands to verify linuxmint-19.1-mate-64bit.iso until finding one YouTube clip that suggested the following code: "openssl sha256 *.iso" rather than "sha256sum -b *.iso". Finally, success ... I got a match. Now I'm working on authentication, for which I need to import a "key" from Ubuntu. But just as the recommended code for verification (in the guidelines on the LinuxMint website) (ie; "sha256sum -b *.iso") failed, I am now experiencing the same failed result using the recommended code for importing the "key" (ie; "gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-key "27DE B156 44C6 B3CF 3BD7 D291 300F 846B A25B AE09" ". When I hit the Enter key, I get "-bash: gpg: command not found" - which is the message I got on my terminal when I used "sha256sum -b *.iso" .... & yes, I entered the correct path & file name in place of the asterisk.

Are my unrecognized commands a result of the fact that I'm doing this on a 2010 MacBook Pro?
Is there some program that I should import, like rEFIne, or Virtual Box, or Pendrivelinux, etc., that is not typically pre-loaded on a Mac that will mediate between Mac OS & bash?
Or, can somebody provide another command code for obtaining the "key" from Ubuntu?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ajgringo619

Re: Verify & Authenticate

Post by ajgringo619 »

I feel for you Kelly76. I've been using/building/programming computers for 30 years, and for the life of me I cannot understand why there are so many threads regarding downloading/using a simple .ISO file. Every version of Linux/Windows/AIX/Solaris I've ever downloaded has never been corrupted...so why is it happening so much now? I can't believe I'm that lucky.

Return to “Open Chat”