Inline Skaters Here?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
NevyNeverKnowsBest

Inline Skaters Here?

Post by NevyNeverKnowsBest »

Granted, this is a forum dedicated to Linux Mint and all things related, so I feel obligated to apologize for starting a discussion about something so distant from Linux Mint, Linux in general, and all things we typically talk about here on the forum.

Does anyone here skate? Particularity on inline skates like Rollerblades? Its something I greatly enjoy, and I would love to get back into it in the summer again. If we have any members here who share this hobby, I'd like to ask; what skates do you have and what gear do you use?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Inline Skaters Here?

Post by ugly »

NevyNeverKnowsBest wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:29 pm Granted, this is a forum dedicated to Linux Mint and all things related, so I feel obligated to apologize for starting a discussion about something so distant from Linux Mint, Linux in general, and all things we typically talk about here on the forum.
That is exactly what this chat forums is for.
Does anyone here skate? Particularity on inline skates like Rollerblades?
I play a lot of ice hockey, so I only ice skate now. When I was younger (like 10-14), we used to play a lot of road hockey so I had rollerblades then. Nothing fancy, though.

I remember I would find it kind of awkward going between ice hockey and road hockey. With roller blades you tend to glide a bit more. So after a summer of playing road hockey, I'd get back on the ice and feel like I'd almost fall on my face because I was expecting to glide more.

I wear really old ice skates. They're Mission skates. Recently, I got really lucky on eBay and found a pair of completely unused Mission skates almost exactly like the ones I currently use. It was a good find for me for a pair of skates that's over 10 years old.

Unfortunately, Mission got out of ice hockey and only make roller blades now. So if I were to buy roller blades I'd probably look for a pair of Mission skates first.
NevyNeverKnowsBest

This is the first time I've heard the name Mission. The skates I primarily use are Powerslides, with 110's. I absolutely love it. I started losing weight a while back ago, and the first thing I wanted to do once I was fit enough was get into skating. Its a great cardio, and I hope to be one day in league with the popular youtubers posting videos of their skate sessions.

Interesting to hear how awkward it is to transition from ice skates to road skates. I've never been ice skating before, so your perspective is neat to hear.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

In my youth I learnt how to ice skate (on a rink no larger than a tennis court). It was the only ice rink in town. I then learnt how to roller skate and, while not expert, could certainly hold my own. Rollerblades came about when my kids were growing up, so only had a little of experience on them. Just thinking about it, now, my legs are telling me which muscles are likely to ache if I started skating again. :D I'm not too old to have a go, but it is unlikely that I'll go skating again, any time soon. Too many other things that need my attention.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ugly »

NevyNeverKnowsBest wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:16 pm This is the first time I've heard the name Mission. The skates I primarily use are Powerslides, with 110's. I absolutely love it. I started losing weight a while back ago, and the first thing I wanted to do once I was fit enough was get into skating. Its a great cardio, and I hope to be one day in league with the popular youtubers posting videos of their skate sessions.

Interesting to hear how awkward it is to transition from ice skates to road skates. I've never been ice skating before, so your perspective is neat to hear.
I don't really know if Mission is a popular brand. I assumed it was, but I really don't know much on the roller blading side.

Transitioning between the two isn't that difficult from what I remember. It's generally the same. I remember it was just the first couple of strides that felt weird. On ice you need to pump your legs a bit more.

I noticed the skate you posted has the rear rubber stopper. I remember back when we played road hockey, my skate was a bit old and that stopper loosened. I was skating backwards at the time and the stopper just dropped down onto the pavement, so it was like hitting a speed bump. I fell on my ass pretty hard, and nearly smacked the back of my head on the pavement. That could have been really bad.

I know you can learn to stop on roller blades, similar to how you stop on ice. But I've never tried it. But I think the roller hockey guys do it that way and take that rubber stopper off entirely.
lsemmens wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:03 pm In my youth I learnt how to ice skate (on a rink no larger than a tennis court). It was the only ice rink in town. I then learnt how to roller skate and, while not expert, could certainly hold my own. Rollerblades came about when my kids were growing up, so only had a little of experience on them. Just thinking about it, now, my legs are telling me which muscles are likely to ache if I started skating again. :D I'm not too old to have a go, but it is unlikely that I'll go skating again, any time soon. Too many other things that need my attention.
I see you're in Australia. That's interesting. I imagine there aren't a lot of options for ice skating. I'm in Canada. Within about a 5km radius from my house growing up I had like 3 hockey arenas. And in the winter, you used to be able to just skate on a frozen pond. Now they've consolidated a lot of the old barn-like hockey arenas into bigger multi-rink sports complexes that are a lot nicer, but farther away from each other.

I play hockey 4 times a week. So, yeah, you build up a lot of different muscles in your legs. And that leads to some issues with buying pants. The struggle is real: Why hockey butts, jeans don't mix (ESPN.com)
NevyNeverKnowsBest

I never use the rubber heel brake. I used it when I first began, but after learning to T-stop, I entirely removed it. I imagine you could stop/brake on ice skates the same, but I wouldn't know. I've had only one serious ankle injury since skating, and I never go out without a helmet and pads on.

This forum was the last place I'd ever expect to discuss this with anyone. Where I live, inline skating is a thing of the past. I'm the only person into it. I think the bigger cities around have more enthusiasts like me, but in my area, I'm the only. I really thought skating had totally died, along with everything else in the 90's.
ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ugly »

NevyNeverKnowsBest wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:17 am I never use the rubber heel brake. I used it when I first began, but after learning to T-stop, I entirely removed it. I imagine you could stop/brake on ice skates the same, but I wouldn't know. I've had only one serious ankle injury since skating, and I never go out without a helmet and pads on.

This forum was the last place I'd ever expect to discuss this with anyone. Where I live, inline skating is a thing of the past. I'm the only person into it. I think the bigger cities around have more enthusiasts like me, but in my area, I'm the only. I really thought skating had totally died, along with everything else in the 90's.
Yeah, you could technically do a T-stop on ice. But the hockey stop is a bit different. I remember before I learned to stop properly on ice, I would do a T-stop. But that would be too slow in hockey.

Here's a video I found on a quick search about the hockey stop on roller blades. The guy makes it sound like it is a bit of a different method between roller blades and ice skates: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhaO3e1mn9I

I never had an ankle injury skating until a few months ago. It was during a hockey game, and I had a breakaway so I was going full speed. The defender gave me a bit of a bump from behind and I ended up sliding on my butt. So I slid feet first into the end boards at full speed. It was a really hard impact. I didn't break anything, but I had a soft tissue injury on my left foot and a high ankle sprain on my right. I couldn't put any weight on my left leg. I couldn't walk normally for two months and was using a cane. I didn't get back to skating for three months. It's still not 100% healed, but I'm skating again and playing hockey. Terribly out of shape now. Doing nothing but sitting around for 3 months will do that to you.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Tee stop was one of the first things I learnt when skating. Those rubber stoppers are an accident waiting to happen. T stops even work on conventional skates. The only problem I ever saw with inline skates was the fact that they were not suited to rough surfaces. They fixed that later with bigger wheels. So great for the kids to hoon around the streets.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
NevyNeverKnowsBest

lsemmens wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:28 pm Tee stop was one of the first things I learnt when skating. Those rubber stoppers are an accident waiting to happen. T stops even work on conventional skates. The only problem I ever saw with inline skates was the fact that they were not suited to rough surfaces. They fixed that later with bigger wheels. So great for the kids to hoon around the streets.
I still struggle to do a T, I still fall about 1 out of 5 attempts. Come to think, I really need to get back out there and go skating this week.
old_noob
Level 4
Level 4

Post by old_noob »

I was an early adapter, bought my first pair in 1985. At that time I was a Nordic ski racer and used them for leg speed/power training. I still go cruising on them a few times a year, just fooling around (currently using Salomons that are about 10 years old).

If you feel you aren't crashing enough, check out roller skis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEbZp9ZekrE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5Gr1K89EHI They require much better balance and coordination than inlines.
old_noob
Level 4
Level 4

Post by old_noob »

also...

My other equipment consists of a helmet... if I break some other body part, it can be fixed. The head, not so much. I have only crashed twice in 30+ years of inline skating, one of them when I jumped a low traffic barrier and landed on a seagull that was resting on the other side. I still have extensive crash experience and a few scars due to my decades of roller skiing though.

Return to “Open Chat”