Finally Getting Some Support Around Here...

Chat about just about anything else
old_noob
Level 2
Level 2

Finally Getting Some Support Around Here...

Post by old_noob »

I am the lone Linux user in our household. My adult stepson (who is not a jobless basement dweller - he helps my wife run her boarding kennel while I commute to something more mundane) is a gamer and refuses to even acknowledge the existence of anything other than Windows. My wife is not a technical person and doesn't want any learning curves to deal with (wait till she loses Windows 7 next year! :lol: ).

Anyway, one of our corgis just walked into the office, raised a leg, and gave my wife's Windows box a good squirt. It's nice to have an ally :)
trapperjohn
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Finally Getting Some Support Around Here...

Post by trapperjohn »

My dog uses Windows NT and hates the vacuum cleaner. The wife, however, uses Mint and seems very happy. But...

Yesterday I got in trouble because I block all Facebook IPs on one of my firewalls. Today, the Wall Street Journal gave me redemption on the frount page, top story: Apps Send Sensitive User Information Directly to Facebook. I am now, for a short while anyway, popular with the fans at home.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Wife is completely tech phobe copes with a Linux desktop way better than she ever did with windwoes. All she needs it for is to watch movies.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

old_noob wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:18 pm
... My adult stepson ...is a gamer and refuses to even acknowledge the existence of anything other than Windows....
Actually for gaming he's right, Linux gaming is a joke.
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

It's always useful to have close support. :lol:
Your humble Portreve.

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0

Problem solved? Mark your thread [SOLVED] | There’s no place like ::1
I used to be a natural people person, then people ruined it.

Recommended Keyboard Layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Even if it's support of the liquid kind!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar »

old_noob wrote:
My adult stepson is a gamer and refuses to even acknowledge the existence of anything other than Windows.
I really wanna see his face when I show him how quite a few games run better with higher FPS with Linux than they do with Windows. :lol:
Intel Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1660 Ti 6GB, Corsair 32GB DDR3-1600, Waterfox-G3-bin, (rolling) Arch Cinnamon
otacon14112
Level 3
Level 3

Post by otacon14112 »

Hoser Rob wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:07 am
old_noob wrote:
... My adult stepson ...is a gamer and refuses to even acknowledge the existence of anything other than Windows....
Actually for gaming he's right, Linux gaming is a joke.
old_noob wrote:
I am the lone Linux user in our household. My adult stepson (who is not a jobless basement dweller - he helps my wife run her boarding kennel while I commute to something more mundane) is a gamer and refuses to even acknowledge the existence of anything other than Windows. My wife is not a technical person and doesn't want any learning curves to deal with (wait till she loses Windows 7 next year! :lol: ).

Anyway, one of our corgis just walked into the office, raised a leg, and gave my wife's Windows box a good squirt. It's nice to have an ally :)
I use Windows 10, when I want to play a game that doesn't run on Mint. The only one that comes to mind immediately is Lego Worlds or something like that (obviously, I haven't played it in a while). My Borderlands games run flawlessly on Mint. Almost half of my games run on Mint.
Otacon: You remember pre-ripped jeans? Manufacturers thought that just because people loved old, broken-in jeans, they would want to buy new jeans that looked old. So they purposefully...
Solid Snake: What do jeans have to do with nature and order?

Return to “Open chat”