Microsoft to improve Chromium

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Who would have thought Microsoft would be the one to improve Chromium browser?
https://www.thurrott.com/windows/window ... o-chromium
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
michael louwe

Re: Microsoft to improve Chromium

Post by michael louwe »

KBD47 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:21 pm Who would have thought Microsoft would be the one to improve Chromium browser?
Microsoft is proposing to bring the smooth scrolling functionality from its Edge web browser to Chromium.

“Scrollbar scrolling using the mouse happens on the main thread in Chromium,” Microsoft’s proposal explains. “If the main thread is busy, scrolling by clicking on the scrollbar will appear to be janky as the events keep getting queued up [and] wait for the main thread to free up. We observe on average scrollbar drags have [over double the] latency in Chromium as compared to EdgeHTML today, worse on particularly busy sites. We attribute this gap primarily to EdgeHTML’s feature for off-thread scrollbar drags. By avoiding the main thread in Chromium as well, we believe we can bring the performance of scrollbar drags more in line with what we observe in EdgeHTML.”
M$'s proposal is foolish and not an improvement. If the main thread is still busy loading stuffs, eg when it is first opened, the users are supposed to wait 1 or 2 seconds for the loading to complete before interacting with the main thread, eg by clicking the scrollbar or 'Page down'. So, the clicking of the scrollbar being not smooth while the main thread is still busy is by design = to inform the users to wait a second or 2 until the main thread is no longer busy before clicking stuffs.

Do we not wait for the computer to fully boot up and a program to fully load up before we interact with them by clicking stuffs.? Remember M$'s circle of dots in Win 10 that tells user to wait, sometimes for hours, for M$ to finish doing her stuffs, eg to install, reboot and configure her forced auto-updates. Now, M$ is hypocritically telling Chromium users they don't have to wait for Chromium to finish doing its stuffs.

Seems, M$ is searching for a problem in Chromium when there is none. Is M$ trying to sabotage Google's Chromium project.?
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

I am not commenting on Chromium specifically but I find it extremely irritating when I try to open a page and my browser (not Chromium) freezes because it is waiting to download something which is not downloading due to bad connection or whatever. Maybe it has to be that way but today's pages are so complex and have to download so much junk that half the time I just terminate the whole thing before it completes. Web sites make pages for people with fast and reliable and free connections not for people with slow, unreliable and expensive connections.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

GS3 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:28 am .......
Yes, nowadays you need a download speed of at least 1Mbps for a newly opened browser page to load up fast in 1 or 2 seconds, especially a new page that is filled with images or image-ads and auto-playing videos or video-ads. The image-ads need to be blocked and auto-playing videos need to be disabled to make the newly opened page load up faster.

To live-stream TV shows or sport matches in HD/720p, you need a download speed of at least 2Mbps.

Recently, browsers have been disabling TLS 1.0 encryption for https websites = Win 7 computers will browse very slow because TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 are not enabled by default in Win 7 = need to manually enable them.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

The MS meddeling with Chromium and other things is one more reason I quit dealing with Linkden, Twitter, Facebook, Google and several other media and spam operators. Everything they get into means more information gathering they have to sell to someone. :twisted:
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Tomgin5 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:51 pm The MS meddeling with Chromium and other things is one more reason I quit dealing with Linkden, Twitter, Facebook, Google and several other media and spam operators. Everything they get into means more information gathering they have to sell to someone. :twisted:
With MS and Google feeding patches to Chromium I hope someone is keeping a close eye on that code.

Firefox is the one who may suffer most, indirectly, as it will increasing become 'the lone ranger' standing up against Google and MS as the only other major browser left to compete with them.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Show us the code.

If it's good, we'll accept it as we did with the NSA's SeLinux contribution.

Until then, my attitude is: put up or shut up.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Right, because Microsoft has brought so much to browsers in the past: Internet Explorer, Edge. :roll:
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

jimallyn wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:40 am
Right, because Microsoft has brought so much to browsers in the past: Internet Explorer, Edge. :roll:
You misspelled Internet Exploder.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

catweazel wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:55 amYou misspelled Internet Exploder.
Darned auto-correct!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

catweazel wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:55 am
You forgot to mention he also misspelled Micro$haft.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

KBD47 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:21 pm Who would have thought Microsoft would be the one to improve Chromium browser?
simply oh HELL BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP NO! with the CRAP they call browsers known as internet explorer and edge SIMPLY NO!!!!!!!
Portreve wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:15 am
catweazel wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:55 am

You forgot to mention he also misspelled Micro$haft.
you can't spell either, cause it'd MicroCRAP
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

:mrgreen:
IE was bad enough, but on the few unfortunate occasions I've tried to use Edge, I found it to be akin to a steaming pile of dung. The sort that would poison the soil if you tried to use it as fertilizer. :evil:

I wasn't aware MS had anything to do with Chromium (maybe they didn't, before?) and suspect this is likely to lead to an exodus .. :roll:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

BG405 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:57 am
I wasn't aware MS had anything to do with Chromium (maybe they didn't, before?) and suspect this is likely to lead to an exodus .. :roll:
MS is replacing Edge with a browser built on Chromium.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Down the Snitter
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

KBD47 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:14 pm MS is replacing Edge with a browser built on Chromium.
So this presumably means MS has realized Edge is not doing so well, and is basing the replacement on open-source code. This is actually good news as it's an indication of trust, from a prominent outfit, of FOSS and it makes me wonder whether MS will rely more on these resources in the future, which will save them money and also be a benefit to the FOSS community, unless they find ways of proprietorizing* it, like Apple seemingly have done with their Unix-based system.

*Invented word, it seems.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

KBD47 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:14 pmMS is replacing Edge with a browser built on Chromium.
But they are still going to call it Edge.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

jimallyn wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:57 am
KBD47 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:14 pmMS is replacing Edge with a browser built on Chromium.
But they are still going to call it Edge.
Yes, M$ should named it Edgium or Chromedge to differentiate it from her old Edge.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

BG405 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:55 pm So this presumably means MS has realized Edge is not doing so well, and is basing the replacement on open-source code. This is actually good news as it's an indication of trust, from a prominent outfit, of FOSS and it makes me wonder whether MS will rely more on these resources in the future, which will save them money and also be a benefit to the FOSS community, unless they find ways of proprietorizing* it, like Apple seemingly have done with their Unix-based system.

*Invented word, it seems.
MS has been hard to figure out lately. They are dropping and changing things like their music service, mobile OS, and you can upgrade any Windows version to Windows 10 at this point for free. Their focus seems to be on services now.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

[/quote]MS has been hard to figure out lately. They are dropping and changing things like their music service, mobile OS, and you can upgrade any Windows version to Windows 10 at this point for free. Their focus seems to be on services now.
[/quote]
You mean a bit like "The Green Fields of France" ... "beat the drum slowly, play the fife lowly, did they play the death march as they lowered you down....."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofhao4SHXGo

It doesn't seen worth resurrecting my partner's Win 7 back to Win 10 (Microsoft destroyed 10 in October) as she is now happily using Mint, as I have for years.

Return to “Open Chat”