That poor other OS...

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

That poor other OS...

Post by catweazel »

This what happens when you install Windwoes 10 and search for firefox:

Desperation?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
gm10

Re: That poor other OS...

Post by gm10 »

You'd be surprised how many users don't understand what software is pre-installed on their system so it's not the worst idea at the base. The targeted comparison stats with Firefox are an interesting step though. I wonder what the anti-trust regulators would say about that because it leaves no room for a response from Firefox to highlight their advantages. Depends on the context this is presented in though, is this a start menu search?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

gm10 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:49 am Depends on the context this is presented in though, is this a start menu search?
Web search from Internet Exploder.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

any straight comparison of the so called Big Three Browser, can be riddled with bias:
https://techhundred.com/2018/02/05/fire ... e-vs-edge/
it really does depend on who is paying for that comparison.
OR
https://www.businessnewsdaily.com/10803-best-wi
which tries to do that, more scientifically.

there is some nice Tutorials, from each browser's company, that you get to watch,,
- after you've installed any alternative to the Edge Web Bowser, & that is often quite creative.

the kids have dropped another lot of older laptops, onto my table,
& I'd remember these ones as being those win-8 PCs that I'd forced up to win-10, in it's early days.
& & now they just say strange things, like %&*#@! whenever taling about why they had to buy another Laptop:
- - interestingly, they Never Talk about That Other Operating System which resides on them.
ie: it's always the Poor Laptop's Fault & yet I'd bet that they can both run any Linux System, quite nicely.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
ganamant
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ganamant »

I feel like locking that machine in a dark room and dd'ing /dev/zero to the hard disk for the whole night. That would teach him good manners!
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Just install Linux on them and tell them it's an early release Windwoes 12. :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I know one of the biggest issues for people who really don't know very much about technology (and generally don't care to) is they can't distinguish the difference between Windows and Office. They don't understand why their new, just spent $600 or $800 or $1000 or $1500 Windows-running laptop doesn't come with Office. "You mean I have to spend even MORE?"

Now, take that whichever way you will, but the fact is most people out there are too stupid to own a computer, and therein lies the crux of the problem with much of the technology world.

It would be horrific if people dealt with cars the way they dealt with computer technology. However, after all the cars abandoned on highways and roads because they ran out of gasoline, or developed all kinds of engine-related premature failure to lack of bothering to service them, change oil, etc., or pay attention to or care about road rules, other drivers, etc., and probably the deaths of hundreds of thousands of human beings, it might get to the point where we couldn't use roads, much less cars, any longer because there was no way to navigate with all the carnage that had occurred, and the problem would effectively end itself.

Cruel, I admit, but it would be the truth.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

catweazel wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:30 amDesperation?
Desperation. 4% against 4%
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Didn't Microdoze get sued many years ago for something similar to this :?:
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Pepi wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:56 amDidn't Microdoze get sued many years ago for something similar to this :?:
You mean the Microsoft anti-trust trial? Oh, I remember it well, and I suspect a great many others out there do, too.

Sadly, given Americans' overall "short attention span", it's doubtful that if you grabbed 100, 1000, or even 10,000 average Americans "on the street" and asked them about it, any statistically significant number of them would have a clue what you were talking about.

Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Portreve wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:10 pm
Pepi wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:56 amDidn't Microdoze get sued many years ago for something similar to this :?:
You mean the Microsoft anti-trust trial? Oh, I remember it well, and I suspect a great many others out there do, too.

Sadly, given Americans' overall "short attention span", it's doubtful that if you grabbed 100, 1000, or even 10,000 average Americans "on the street" and asked them about it, any statistically significant number of them would have a clue what you were talking about.
Yep ... that was it :wink: Once a crook always a crook :mrgreen:
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

catweazel wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:30 am This what happens when you install Windwoes 10 and search for firefox:

Desperation?
Like some OS software developers used to say, "TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT".
Last edited by michael louwe on Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

Portreve wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:32 am It would be horrific if people dealt with cars the way they dealt with computer technology. However, after all the cars abandoned on highways and roads because they ran out of gasoline, or developed all kinds of engine-related premature failure to lack of bothering to service them, change oil, etc., or pay attention to or care about road rules, other drivers, etc., and probably the deaths of hundreds of thousands of human beings, it might get to the point where we couldn't use roads, much less cars, any longer because there was no way to navigate with all the carnage that had occurred, and the problem would effectively end itself.

Cruel, I admit, but it would be the truth.
That's a half-truth. You need to pass a Driving Test before you are allowed to drive. You do not need to pass a test to operate a computer.

Maybe, we should get the government to raise the minimum driving age to 21 and impose computer operating tests.*sarcasm*
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

michael louwe wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:12 am That's a half-truth. You need to pass a Driving Test before you are allowed to drive. You do not need to pass a test to operate a computer.

Maybe, we should get the government to raise the minimum driving age to 21 and impose computer operating tests.*sarcasm*
It's true one needs to pass a driving test. I was simply applying what goes on in the computer world to the world of driving, and I think my point still stands: if the standards were the same, the results would be catastrophic.

They want to raise the minimum voting age, and I think maybe there's an effort to raise the minimum age to use tobacco. I'm of two minds on that:

1. The age of majority is 18. Legally, one is self-determinant at that point. I believe it to be wrong to curtail any rights to someone who is a legal adult.

2. Maturational development continues well past the age of 18, and the age of 18 itself is, basically, arbitrary anyhow.

I think what they should do is have a Federal-level vote go out to every individual American to see if the age of majority should be raised, either to 21 or perhaps even to 25, and if it passes, put it into Federal Statutory Code, and grandfather in at that point everyone who is 18 or older. This would be no different than when they raised the minimum drinking age from 18 to 21.

Now, getting back to the point of this thread (i.e. "technology") I would offer two points for consideration.

First, a friend of mine has held for a very long time the view that not everyone should necessarily own a computer. Fundamentally, I happen to share that view, regardless of how central and core technology and/or connected technology has become. It's simply not a benefit for a fairly sizable segment of humanity to use it.

We need to do everything we can, from as early on in life as possible, to get people interested in technology at more than a mere surface level, and do what's required to help them develop into responsible users of technology. We definitely need to do a better job getting third-world countries up to par with the rest of the developed world because it is discriminatory not to do so, and not doing so also represents a waste of opportunity and potential in the form of human beings who could be modernized and productive.

RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

How about this review? I've copied a couple of quotes. Basically little difference with Chrome slightly better -

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/ch ... ly-faster/

"One area where Edge may have an advantage over rivals is security,...However, there are some caveats, WDAG is only available in the Pro and Enterprise editions of Windows 10 and requires PCs to have the hardware and BIOS settings needed to support Hyper-V virtualization."

"Microsoft also claims Edge is also less power-hungry,...however, these findings have been challenged too."

11 Feb 2019

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3213031 ... tml?page=2

"...well, this time around Edge doesn’t even get an honorable mention."
8 ball
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 8 ball »

My Laptop is KDE Neon,
My NAS is Ubuntu server,
My Router is Tomato.

Sure it took more a little more effort to set up than Windows or off-the-shelf solutions, but once it's set up, it's zero hassle... unlike the others...
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

Portreve wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:18 pm First, a friend of mine has held for a very long time the view that not everyone should necessarily own a computer. Fundamentally, I happen to share that view, regardless of how central and core technology and/or connected technology has become. It's simply not a benefit for a fairly sizable segment of humanity to use it.
This kind of "discriminatory" reasoning can also be used to stop some novices/newbies from owning smartphones/tablets, home-routers/modems, microwave ovens, electric and gas cookers, etc.

Everyone was or is a novice/newbie or child once in their life time. How is he/she going to learn if newbies/novices or children are not allowed to own such appliances.? Like they say, "practice makes perfect". Many of today's computer experts started dabbling in computers during their early teens. In this case, educational information is more crucial to prevent misadventures and negative effects, not mandatory tests or bans on ownership.

Car-driving tests are mandatory because non-tested car-driving will sometimes kill the driver or others. Non-tested computer-operating will very very rarely kill the novice/newbie operator or others. That's the big difference.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

michael louwe wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:05 am
Portreve wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:18 pm First, a friend of mine has held for a very long time the view that not everyone should necessarily own a computer. Fundamentally, I happen to share that view, regardless of how central and core technology and/or connected technology has become. It's simply not a benefit for a fairly sizable segment of humanity to use it.
Everyone was or is a novice/newbie or child once in their life time. How is he/she going to learn if newbies/novices or children are not allowed to own such appliances.?
Could you explain, please, how you managed to get from "not everyone" to "newbies/novices or children"?

A truth table would also help. It seems there's a logical fallacy of presupposition in there.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Portreve wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:10 pm

a long time ago - there was this issue:
http://time.com/3553242/microsoft-monopoly/
the proposal of "the so-called Baby Bills.” ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
ganamant
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ganamant »

Portreve wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:32 amand therein lies the crux of the problem
I'm sure you mean this crux, don't you? :lol:

Return to “Open Chat”