Ikea is taking over the world!

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Ikea is taking over the world!

Post by MurphCID »

Ok, San Antonio recently had an IKEA store move in. I swore an oath, I would never set foot inside, since all the furniture is press wood that falls apart quickly, and cannot be damp. Well my daughter insisted she HAD to go, and I walked in absolutely determined that I would hate it, and there was nothing there I wanted. When I walked out I realized I had spent $60 and had just purchased...stuff. confused just happened, I thought to myself, there must be a zone of compulsion in operation, where you must buy stuff. But some of the stuff was just so darn useful. Well the Lingonberry syrup, crisp bread, was not necessary, but the tea pot and French press was necessary. IKEA really is a trap. I must resist. I must not be weak.....
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Ikea is taking over the world!

Post by catweazel »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:20 am Ok, San Antonio recently had an IKEA store move in. I swore an oath, I would never set foot inside, since all the furniture is press wood that falls apart quickly, and cannot be damp. Well my daughter insisted she HAD to go, and I walked in absolutely determined that I would hate it, and there was nothing there I wanted. When I walked out I realized I had spent $60 and had just purchased...stuff. confused just happened, I thought to myself, there must be a zone of compulsion in operation, where you must buy stuff. But some of the stuff was just so darn useful. Well the Lingonberry syrup, crisp bread, was not necessary, but the tea pot and French press was necessary. IKEA really is a trap. I must resist. I must not be weak.....
Their paring knives are very good.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

:mrgreen:
Attachments
220px-Freddy_Krueger_(Robert_Englund).jpg
220px-Freddy_Krueger_(Robert_Englund).jpg (18.7 KiB) Viewed 1538 times
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

You got lucky. The SA Ikea could be next to the SA Container Store. The unprepared can blow through a week's wages and never realize what happened. Seen it happen, and watched as they went to Starbucks to celebrate.

Sometimes watching people brings out the schadenfreude....
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I hate their stores, particularly when you know exactly what you want but have to traipse miles round the store to get from entrance to exit. Do quite like some of their stuff.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
scoson
Level 2
Level 2

Post by scoson »

We had one open a short distance away near Milwaukee. Now we have the bedroom and my wife's sewing room full of it. I will say that the stuff is machined with very precise tollerances.
Fuzzy Penquin

Post by Fuzzy Penquin »

I have a desk that I bought from them (ordered online & crossed my fingers, as there is no Ikea nearby). It is actual pine (VERY soft!!) with a few bits of particle board in certain places. The stain seems a little thin, like it will wear away fairly quickly. The desk is...ok. I wanted to buy a real solid wood desk that was quality made, but my husband choked at the prices of those (~$700, paint it yourself) and said it was a waste of money. :roll: So I paid $200 for a lesser quality desk from Ikea, whose durability and overall lifespan I question. Now I'm wondering how well epoxy resin will stick to this desk (to add firmness to the soft wood, and prevent the stain from wearing off)....

Now that said, I also used to have a most excellent chair from Ikea. It was super comfy and pretty durable, and I very much liked it. There was no room for it when we bought this house, so it got given to a friend. They still sell this particular chair, I think. I'd buy it again if I had the room for it.

Conclusions: some stuff at Ikea is not that great quality, and some stuff is fantastic. Look it over in person before buying, if possible. For the small useful items they also sell, don't go into the store with your wallet. Or else you will leave with a bunch of stuff. Lol. (This also goes for the Container Store. OMG that place is fantastic.)
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Much of the furniture in my house is from IKEA. Bought 25 years ago, and still going strong and looking good.

Also ideal for furnishing student apartments: both my children furnished their student apartments quite decently and very cheaply with IKEA stuff.

You have to be alert in an IKEA store, though. Not everything is actually cheap or even worth its price. But when you research carefully, preferably before you go into the store, you can get good quality for very little money. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
scoson
Level 2
Level 2

Post by scoson »

1 in 10 Europeans conceived in an Ikea bed... How old those kids Pjotr? Nevermind..
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

Less than 3 miles away from that store. Will be awhile before I challenge the store crowds. In the meantime just enjoying the very competitive furniture ads from the area competition.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:20 am IKEA really is a trap. I must resist. I must not be weak.....
Resistance, as you know, is futile.

The nearest Ikea to me is 207 km away. So, not much chance of me shopping there. :lol:
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Portreve wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:29 pm
MurphCID wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:20 am IKEA really is a trap. I must resist. I must not be weak.....
Resistance, as you know, is futile.

The nearest Ikea to me is 207 km away. So, not much chance of me shopping there. :lol:
Yours is twice as far as ours, strangely enough, SWMBO has still found time to go there.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Had to go there today to get more Lingonberry syrup, and crisp bread.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

lsemmens wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:26 pm Yours is twice as far as ours, strangely enough, SWMBO has still found time to go there.
SWMBO?

BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

Portreve wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:14 pm SWMBO?
She Who Must Be Obeyed. HTH HAND
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

BenTrabetere wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:16 am She Who Must Be Obeyed.
That expression always makes me cringe so hard. In a good relationship, no one obeys or must be obeyed. I wouldn't want a partner who obeyed me. Who wants to be with a doormat?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Moem wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:32 am That expression always makes me cringe so hard. In a good relationship, no one obeys or must be obeyed. I wouldn't want a partner who obeyed me. Who wants to be with a doormat?
Only someone who is shallow and so insecure they require constant adulation to make themselves feel better.

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Moem wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:32 am
That expression always makes me cringe so hard. In a good relationship, no one obeys or must be obeyed. I wouldn't want a partner who obeyed me. Who wants to be with a doormat?
I use it, but in a very humorous way, since my wife of 30 years and I are equals. We just know the signals on when not to cross the line (like using the credit card for unnecessary things like a Ryzen 2700X).
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Moem wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:32 am
There would be very few people who use that phrase who would actually believe it to be anything other than a joke, often used to lighten a moment. I call my 102 year old mother the "old cheese". Sometimes I think you take things a little too seriously, or perhaps too literally.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

catweazel wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:06 am Sometimes I think you take things a little too seriously, or perhaps too literally.
Oh, I don't think that's the case, I'm actually certain that I do. Jokes and irony aren't easy. Especially in a foreign language.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Open Chat”