Tea or Coffee?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Tea or Coffee?

Post by MurphCID »

Old thread, but I made a DISCOVERY! That discovery is a Chemex with its filters makes a just amazing and I mean amazing cup of coffee. No acidity, no bitterness with good beans (Black Rifle Coffee- Freedom roast). Yes, it takes a tiny bit longer than the Keurig, but OMG, the taste is so worth it!
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Instant coffee -- or as we call it in England: coffee -- about 1-2 sugars, no milk. I don't drink tea often, because I'm not a fan of milk, and I've tried all the alternatives with tea but it just doesn't work for me. That said, I drink herbal tea often enough, like peppermint, lemon, ginger, etc.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
kelevra
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kelevra »

I have been trying to switch my caffeine intake method to tea. Mostly bagged tea, but I just came into possession of a good tea pot. I need to make a tea caddy out of paracord and I will be set. I already have a tea ball so now I need to find some good loose tea.

I have occasionally been drinking a cup of instant coffee in the morning with some flavoured almond milk and I have noticed that I am getting a wicked coffee buzz. HUUMMM
"None of us is as smart as all of us." Ken Blanchard

Mint 21 Cinnamon
AMD© R5 2600 @ stock 16GiB

Mint 20.2 Cinnamon
Intel© Celeron© CPU B820 @ 1.70GHz 8GiB
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

I can't stand the taste of coffee (although I love the aroma) and I'm not a huge fan of tea unless it has enough lemon and sweetener (can't have sugar) to make it more like lemonade. I can't have caffeine anyway so I don't miss either.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Hi jeannie,
I can't stand the taste of coffee (although I love the aroma) and I'm not a huge fan of tea unless it has enough lemon and sweetener (can't have sugar) to make it more like lemonade. I can't have caffeine anyway so I don't miss either.
You might like my favourite, "Earl Grey" that has "bergamot" citrus flavouring as one of its main ingredients, and is available from the original makers, (Over three hundred years by "Appointment to the Queen"), From "Twinnings" Teas of London and availble as decaffeinated as well as the original...DAMIEN
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:41 pm Hi jeannie,
You might like my favourite, "Earl Grey" that has "bergamot" citrus flavouring as one of its main ingredients, and is available from the original makers, (Over three hundred years by "Appointment to the Queen"), From "Twinnings" Teas of London and availble as decaffeinated as well as the original...DAMIEN
Not really. Of all the teas I've tried, Green Tea was the "best" (relatively speaking) but let's say I just couldn't get excited over it. I've tried various herbal teas but none were my cup of tea (pardon the bad pun). I have a pretty particular palate (now pardon the alliteration; I need to go to bed :roll: ).
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

This morning...

2020-12-08.jpg
-=t42=-
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

MurphCID wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:19 pm Old thread, but I made a DISCOVERY! That discovery is a Chemex with its filters makes a just amazing and I mean amazing cup of coffee. No acidity, no bitterness with good beans (Black Rifle Coffee- Freedom roast). Yes, it takes a tiny bit longer than the Keurig, but OMG, the taste is so worth it!
Another former Keurig user here (mine bit the dust a couple of months ago, after 5 or 6 years service). I switched over to grinding my own beans with a burr grinder and using an AeroPress to make single cups. I'm using more coffee for the same number of cups, but paying less because I don't pay for the pods. And the coffee is much, much better tasting.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I am a hard core and shameless tea drinker ( I AM southern after all), but the Chemex makes just the smoothest, flavorful coffee I have ever had. It is revolutionized how I look at coffee. I will not drink an inferior brew (snob mode on).
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

t42 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:55 am
This morning...

2020-12-08.jpg
I truely wish Twinnings had kept the Russian Caravan tea available in the US. What a great hot brew.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Definately Coffee - I drink a fair amount of Tea , but given a choice I always pick Coffee :)
Strong and Black.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
farkas
Level 5
Level 5

Post by farkas »

The only bad coffee I had back in the old days when a new shipmate arrived on board, fresh out of navy boot camp, who had the misfortune to mistake the salt water sink for the fresh water sink. The only coffee we had was USN issue that came in five pound tins and doled out by the Chief cook. While in the Tonking Yacht Club that was the only option. It was good enough to keep you going and learned to appreciate it, no matter how vile it tasted. All that mattered that it was hot and black. Sugar was for weenies and officers.
Now that I've learned to appreciate GREAT civilian coffees, I wonder why anyone would spoil an excellent coffee with cream and/or sugar?
If your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.
If you found a solution on your own please post it.
A generation which ignores history has no past and no future.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

farkas wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:16 am The only bad coffee I had back in the old days when a new shipmate arrived on board, fresh out of navy boot camp, who had the misfortune to mistake the salt water sink for the fresh water sink. The only coffee we had was USN issue that came in five pound tins and doled out by the Chief cook. While in the Tonking Yacht Club that was the only option. It was good enough to keep you going and learned to appreciate it, no matter how vile it tasted. All that mattered that it was hot and black. Sugar was for weenies and officers.
Now that I've learned to appreciate GREAT civilian coffees, I wonder why anyone would spoil an excellent coffee with cream and/or sugar?
I have been told that a pinch of salt totally changes the flavor profile of the coffee. That being said, I like cream in my coffee, even the great Chemex brew.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Having just recently been in Key West and to Sloppy Joe's Bar, I'd like to re-answer this question:
Tea or Coffee?
I'll have a Sloppy Mojito.

<thread hijack>
To everyone here, if you haven't been to Key West, stop whatever it is you're doing, and go. Well, maybe wait for the pandemic to be over, but go down there. Go to Sloppy Joe's Bar for drinks and such, and pub crawl your way along Duval Street.

Trust me: there's nothing you're doing in life right now that's more important than you going to Key West.
</thread hijack>

NOTE: It probably won't go anywhere (because it would be so incalculably stupid) but there's talk amongst certain groups of people here, including some politicians, for Florida to secede from the U.S. and become its own separate country. So, perhaps you folks might just want to accelerate your plans in case this were to happen.

NOTE #2: Key West is a wildlife refuge, so be very careful if driving not to hit any of the roosters or chickens which like to walk across the various streets, as harming or killing them is a $500 (~ €411) fine per incident.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Portreve wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:41 pm Key West is a wildlife refuge, so be very careful if driving not to hit any of the roosters or chickens which like to walk across the various streets, as harming or killing them is a $500 (~ €411) fine per incident.
Sounds like a good place to "accidentally" detour if you're a poultry supplier! :razz:

Maybe take your cats for the ride, whom I'm sure will be happy to remove the feathers for you, then you bag them, attach supermarket poultry labels (make sure you printed a few receipts too) and sweep the feathers out the doors, appeasing the cats by giving them some remnants of last night's  hit-and-run   drive-through  dinner
… This might help you avoid falling fowl of the law as one wouldn't want to end up in front of the beak.

BTW about 1½ pints (30Fl.Oz Imp.) of tea per day on a regular basis these days. Still have some of the loose Kenyan tea left which I have as an occasional treat. Then 10 trips to the dunny … :roll:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

BG405 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:48 pm
<off topic>

Welcome back! :D

Your absence was noticed: viewtopic.php?p=1925290#p1925290

</off topic>
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Beer

it hit 40c on Monday :!: had to go & buy an Carton of that stuff . . to recover . .
:mrgreen:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Pierre wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:16 am Beer

it hit 40c on Monday :!: had to go & buy an Carton of that stuff . . to recover . .
No Fosters?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

that's an bit Old School .. more like an Carlton or Great Northern, these days.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

BG405 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:48 pm
Portreve wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:41 pm Key West is a wildlife refuge, so be very careful if driving not to hit any of the roosters or chickens which like to walk across the various streets, as harming or killing them is a $500 (~ €411) fine per incident.
Sounds like a good place to "accidentally" detour if you're a poultry supplier! :razz:

Maybe take your cats for the ride, whom I'm sure will be happy to remove the feathers for you, then you bag them, attach supermarket poultry labels (make sure you printed a few receipts too) and sweep the feathers out the doors, appeasing the cats by giving them some remnants of last night's  hit-and-run   drive-through  dinner
… This might help you avoid falling fowl of the law as one wouldn't want to end up in front of the beak.

BTW about 1½ pints (30Fl.Oz Imp.) of tea per day on a regular basis these days. Still have some of the loose Kenyan tea left which I have as an occasional treat. Then 10 trips to the dunny … :roll:
lol!!!
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel

Return to “Open Chat”