Tea or Coffee?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
lexon

Re: Tea or Coffee?

Post by lexon »

I do remember my early days of black coffee. about twenty years old, when I was in the US Navy aboard a three hundred foot radar picket destroyer in the North Atlantic in the early 1960's. Never worried about milk or sugar. Quite something going up a steep stairway, called a ladder with the bow of the ship rising or falling and not spilling a drop. Never thought of tea until we got to Scotland.

L
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I don't know why, but when it comes to caring anything that might spill, I am physically unabe to carry it in a stable manner. If I were on a ship, my cup better have a lid.

Also, I better have a huge stock of Bonine.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

lexon wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:29 pm Sometimes coffee in the morning but Mint tea in the evening with a of teaspoon honey from a local Apiary. I buy my tea by the batch from Amazon.
Many years ago I use to grow my own Mint but had to contain it. It could could spread.
It was great to simmer the leaves right off the vine in boiling water.
I cannot grow it where I live now.
Go Mint.

L
I don't think Linux Mint would taste too good in a brew. I'll stick with Coffee. ;)
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

lsemmens wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:02 am
lexon wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:29 pm Sometimes coffee in the morning but Mint tea in the evening with a of teaspoon honey from a local Apiary. I buy my tea by the batch from Amazon.
Many years ago I use to grow my own Mint but had to contain it. It could could spread.
It was great to simmer the leaves right off the vine in boiling water.
I cannot grow it where I live now.
Go Mint.

L
I don't think Linux Mint would taste too good in a brew. I'll stick with Coffee. ;)
LOL! But some mint in the tea might not be so bad.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

We discovered why St***ucks coffee tastes so bad. Not only is it over roasted, but they use a LOT of robusta beans which are bitter, and have a much higher caffeine content. https://coffeeordie.com/arabica-versus- ... ifference/
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

MurphCID wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:27 am a much higher caffeine content
I love caffeine. Imagine a day without it.... Not only would the world look bleaker, but general productivity would nosedive and the global economy would collapse. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

Pjotr wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:35 am
I love caffeine. Imagine a day without it.... Not only would the world look bleaker, but general productivity would nosedive and the global economy would collapse. :mrgreen:
... and I would have another reason to be in a bad mood.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Pjotr wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:35 am
It is my favorite legally addictive stimulant.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

MurphCID wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:51 am It is my favorite legally addictive stimulant.
Likewise.... Whereas red wine (Cabernet Sauvignon or Dornfelder) is my favourite downer. :lol:
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Pjotr wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:54 am
MurphCID wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:51 am It is my favorite legally addictive stimulant.
Likewise.... Whereas red wine (Cabernet Sauvignon or Dornfelder) is my favourite downer. :lol:
I am somewhat fond of Cabernet Sauvignon, or a nice Pinot Noir. I have a bottle of 2001 Bell Mountain Pinot Noir that I am wanting to open and share with friends, but I want to age it a bit more.....
Razdwatrzy

Post by Razdwatrzy »

tea
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Tea has always been my tipple but I do drink coffee sometimes. My other legal intoxicating substance being, of course, alcohol. Used to finish with an Irish coffee or two when one of the local bars was still under its previous ownership and they had the machine on the counter.

I squeeze the life out of the tea bag(s) and put in enough milk to colour it, the resulting liquid being a reddish brown and really hits the spot. No sugar, I stopped having that when I was 10 or 11. I'll have to brew some more of the Kenyan tea I imported a few years back .. that is really nice & strong. Customs didn't check, thankfully, though I don't think they would have been concerned. We used to bring back all sorts .. chillies, soap etc..

Coffee - I do love freshly-prepared coffee, black, no sugar. At work though it was copious quantities of the vending-machine stuff or instant, also black because for some odd reason having it white was a trigger for migraines when I was susceptible .. I usually knew when this was. White tea from the machines did not set them off.

I'll probably wait until it cools down a bit before making a brew as it passed 40°C a few minutes ago up here & still rising. :shock:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Welcome to the Forum, amzounslideslide! :) I think the coffee must be working .. less than a minute between registration and first post .. :mrgreen:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

It used to be coffee but I had to give it up. I would drink a cup in the morning, but then drink 3-4 cups during the rest of the day. Unfortunately, for me it's either all or nothing. Just too much caffeine. It was killing me. And it was costing me as well. Figure $3 per cup at a coffee store; that's $15 per week or just over $700 per year. And that's just for the first cup of the day! I can use that money to spoil my girl.

Decaf is just a cup of "why bother" so I went cold turkey and stopped drinking coffee altogether. Now it's just drinking a lot of water during the day.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

CaptainKirksChair wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:30 pm Decaf is just a cup of "why bother"
Exactly my view.... I've never seen the point of decaf, nor of alcohol-free beer and wine, for that matter.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Pjotr wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:43 pm I've never seen the point of decaf, nor of alcohol-free beer and wine, for that matter.
Sometimes I'm in the mood for a beer, but I'm driving, or have a different reason to avoid alcohol. I don't always want something sweet, and water doesn't always push the right buttons either. Makes perfect sense to me. And the Germans definitely know how to make an alcohol-free pilsener that tastes good to me. I have no idea why the Dutch manufacturers are struggling so much...

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

Moem wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:56 pmI don't always want something sweet, and water doesn't always push the right buttons either.
I get the point of drinking water but I don't understand this love affair with bottled water. Here in the US, it has been shown that tap water tastes better, is cheaper, and is safer to drink than bottled water. If I want water, I just fill up a bottle from the tap and that works.

By the way, as I write this, I'm having a bottle of Stella Artois. It's 32 degrees centigrade here and a good beer tastes great in this heat.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

CaptainKirksChair wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:33 pm I'm having a bottle of Stella Artois.
Didn't know they sell Belgian beer in the United States (if that's where you're from).... If you can get your hands on it, I recommend a Hoegaarden (white beer, also from Belgium):
Delicious when the weather is hot.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Moem wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:56 pm Makes perfect sense to me. And the Germans definitely know how to make an alcohol-free pilsener that tastes good to me. I have no idea why the Dutch manufacturers are struggling so much...
Seems we haven't done much better, anyone remember Kaliber? Like a malt syrup but diluted. Awful stuff. Tried it once, put me off these low or non acoholic beverages for a presently undefineable time. I'd sooner wait.
CaptainKirksChair wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:33 pm I get the point of drinking water but I don't understand this love affair with bottled water. Here in the US, it has been shown that tap water tastes better, is cheaper, and is safer to drink than bottled water. If I want water, I just fill up a bottle from the tap and that works.
It's the same here for some. I only buy bottled carbonated water as haven't yet gotten round to setting-up my own method of carbonating liquids; It's mostly used with cordial added for a cheap source of fizzy pop. In Barcelona I was advised not to drink the tap water & observed stacks of water bottles at local shops; didn't bothter me though as my teas & coffees were all made with tap water & same with tooth-brushing. Same in the likes of Turkey & Kenya.
CaptainKirksChair wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:33 pm By the way, as I write this, I'm having a bottle of Stella Artois. It's 32 degrees centigrade here and a good beer tastes great in this heat.
Nothing beats a cold bevvy in hot (especially hot & humid) weather! Got up to 42.5°C in here the other day.
Pjotr wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:53 pm If you can get your hands on it, I recommend a Hoegaarden (white beer, also from Belgium):
This, I would recommend to anyone with a suitably appreciative pallette. I used to drink a lot of this, when it was available locally/ Good stuff indeed. Those Hoegaarden glasses are also practically indestructible it seems. Other favourites include DeKonick Bolleke and Orval. :mrgreen:
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I use tap water as well. But I am still a shameless and hardened tea drinker. Enjoying a nice morning mug (20 oz) of Yunnan gold black tea brewed strong with some lemon and a little turbinado sugar.

Return to “Open Chat”