Whiskey ...

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Whiskey ...

Post by MurphCID »

I have over indulged in some fine Irish Whiskey tonight, so forgive the typos. Whiskey, its my drink, one ice cube, or maybe a small (very small) splash of water. I have decided that Irish Whiskey is my favorite, most Scotch is too "peaty" for me, Bourbon is too sweet, Canadian is too harsh, but Irish has just the right combination of flavor and "bite".

What says the Forum? What is your tipple of choice?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Whiskey....

Post by BenTrabetere »

I try to limit myself to one-a-day, and most days it is Very Old Barton. It isn't the finest Kentucky Bourbon I have ever sipped, but it is much better than its bottom shelf price suggests. It also makes for a nice toddy for coughs and when the rheumatize acts up; otherwise I take it with a small ice cube or a splash of water. .

My favorite is an Irish Whiskey is Redbreast 15 - it was gift from a friend who knew I would enjoy it. Way out of my price range. I am also fond of Bushmills 10-year.

Once upon a past life I did a co-worker a career-saving favor and then let him take full credit for the work. He was a Scotch man, and he cringed every time I said the stuff tasted like hair tonic. We both were at a meeting in San Antonio and he took me to The Esquire Tavern. He told the nice lady behind the bar to introduce me to whisky, and she set up a row tasters for us. Most of them I did not like. When we finished the tasters she cleared the bar and poured us both a proper glass.

I think I heard angels sing when I took my first sip of Balvenie 'Thirty'. My co-worker noticed my smile and asked the nice lady to tell me how much it cost. She said, "That one, dearie, is $75 a glass." Broke my heart.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

Cheap bourbon as the daily drink, scotch on the occasion -single malt only. No ice, that's good for TV but kills your whisky. I like the extremes in taste: smokey, tar, iodine or sharp. It is ridiculous what they charge you for exclusive whisky, particularly now it is fashioned and investors stock it just to sell it for even more money. Such a waste!
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I must admit that I do like a nice Scotch. Not that I drink enough to be fussy at this stage. (Can't afford to be). Typically straight up, sometimes on the rocks.

My regular tipple though is usually Wine with a meal, a cold beer on a hot day, or, in Winter, Port, or the occasional Port-a-gaff
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I am enjoying a nice Tullamore Dew right now, but Jamison Caskmates Stout edition is one of my new favorites.
sarge816
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sarge816 »

Bourbon? Wild Turkey 101. Scotch? Any single malt but a good cheap blend in a pinch. Cutty ftw. Canadian? Crown is terrific but go cheap with something like Harwood Canadian and I bet your friends wouldn't be able to tell on a double blind taste test. Irish? Jameson, ofcourse.

Basically, if it's whiskey I'll drink it, dammit.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Ugh, I over enjoyed the Tullamore Dew last night. :(
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

151tom wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:04 am Bacardi 151 and Coke or Wild Turkey 101 straight. :wink:
A little rough for my taste, but a lot of people like it.
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

[Will Rogers]
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

[Will Rogers]

[Will Rogers]
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I do enjoy the odd finger of highland park, but I'm a G&T man.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

This thread reminds me of a scene from ST:TOS By Any Other Name.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
lexon

Post by lexon »

I use to but now I prefer sipping the Green Fairy, Absinthe.I have the glass and spoon, plus the sugar cube and very cold water to pour thru the sugar cube.

L
fstjohn
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Whiskey ...

Post by fstjohn »

My taste has changed over the years. I've gone from Single Malt Scotch to Irish to Bourbon, back to Scotch and now back to Bourbon. For awhile it was Maker's Mark but that's a bit too expensive. At present it's Ezra Brooks 90-proof with a little water. Good enough for me as a reasonably priced every day tipple.
athi

Post by athi »

When I was younger, it was scotch neat, preferably Glenlevit 12. Nowadays, it is normally beer with Jameson or Bushmills neat on special occasions for reason of my health, just hurts too much in the morning and makes me want to jump out of an open window.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Beer only for me. I gave up the wines and hard liquor
Rosko
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rosko »

I quit drinking many years ago, but before that, my pleasure in whiskey was Glenfiddich 12 year old, Single Malt, Scotch .
athi

Post by athi »

Rosko wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:42 pm I quit drinking many years ago, but before that, my pleasure in whiskey was Glenfiddich 12 year old, Single Malt, Scotch .
You got good taste.
jstgth

Post by jstgth »

So suiting that I’m drinking now (albeit it is plum sake). I buy cheap bourbon. Zachariah Harris Kentucky straight bourbon. I throw some lime juice in it, as well.

Return to “Open Chat”