Ride-on mower battery...

Chat about just about anything else
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Ride-on mower battery...

Post by tenfoot »

I have a John Deere L100 ride-on mower. The battery is showing 12.65 volts, but it will not start the mower. The battery terminals are clean. If I use another battery showing a similar voltage the mower starts without any trouble. Running the mower, once it has started, is no problem. I can even turn it off and leave it for an hour and it will restart. However, leaving it for a couple of days and the problem of not starting reoccurs, even though checking the battery shows a voltage of 12.65.

I am thinking of buying another battery but would like to know why this once isn't working.

Any suggestious would be very welcome.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Ride-on mower battery...

Post by all41 »

It sounds like the battery will not deliver the cranking amps. Measure the voltage while
cranking. The voltage is probably dropping significantly under starter load.
Light travels faster than sound.
That's why some people appear smart until you hear what they are saying.
Amii_Leigh
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Amii_Leigh »

Batteries are the one thing we need to get us going with engines, lol

Anyway, I had a go-around with batteries, alternators, and starters on my 1990 Chevy Corsica this past winter. I replaced each of the aforementioned items two or three times only for the problem to come down to the wires connecting to the starter were too corroded to work well, and I ended up cleaning up and tinning each and every single one that depended on the starter for it's connection. I've mentioned all the other stuff just so you know I'm not just blowing hot air.

I'm telling you that you probably need to check all the wiring connections, including the ones on the battery, not just the terminals that go onto the battery.
I know this is a lot of trouble, but worth it in the long run, especially if you have no desire to buy a new riding lawnmower any time soon. Yes, it can get that frustrating.
So, get out your sandpaper and maybe your soldering pen to do some tinning onto some corroded wire.
Good Luck!
नमस्ते = Namaste
I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells.
I honor the place in you in which is of love, of truth, of light, and of peace.
When you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, we are one.
BenTrabetere
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BenTrabetere »

I have fought this fight many times. I think all41 is close to the answer, especially if the battery is pushing 1-year old. These batteries are not very large, I find that it is hard to get more than one season from one. Charging it over night might give it an extended life, but it is my experience it is not worth the hassle. Make sure the replacement has at least 300 Cold Cranking Amps.

When was the last time you serviced the engine? Life is much smoother with new fuel and air filters, spark plugs, etc.
Running the mower, once it has started, is no problem.
I am guessing this is because there is residual fuel in the fuel pump/line, making it easier to crank.
rumpus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rumpus »

Tenfoot.... All41 is correct in his response. A load tester is needed to check the condition of a battery.

Abad battery may produce 12 volts when checked with a volt meter but doesn't have the amps to do the job.

Get a new battery.....r
kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

Also a hint after you get your new Battery. Disconnect it if it's going to sit for a week or more. On my old Sears Rider something kept draining the Battery even when it was off. Also good Idea when you put the machine away for the season to disconnect it. Good luck.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
HaveaMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by HaveaMint »

I have had batteries go bad on me before and i remove it from the vehicle and cover it with an old towel or the likes then hit it with my 200amp charger. This removed the short internally and was able to use it longer. Sometimes it works and times it doesn't.
I leave a battery maintainer on it when not in use and typically get 3-5 years out of them.
https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php ... rnal_short
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

Thanks you to all who responded. I'll work through your suggestions and report back.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)

Return to “Open chat”