Linux Mint June 2019 Blog

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Linux Mint June 2019 Blog

Post by Portreve »

Link: The Linux Mint Blog Monthly News – June 2019
clem wrote: We’re excited to get close to the BETA release and to show everybody what we’ve been working on. We’re proud of our achievements and some of the features and improvements which were implemented. We’re delighted to be together and to have fun within the team, working on all of this.
I don't know if this will have a material impact on various articles and videos out there talking about or otherwise covering LM, but I'm very pleased Clem put this in, and I'm also most happy with the wording.
Nemo: Pinning items
... and ...
Nemo: Conditional actions
I don't know why, but this made me think of the more halcyon days at Apple when Steve Jobs would talk about genuine new improvements in Aqua and/or Mac OS X. I don't mean this in a bad way, or a negative or sarcastic way. These improvements help workflow and lay the groundwork for future improvements.

To the extent to which one can "market" a distro in a good way, this is actually nice to see.
Snap

When snap was announced it was supposed to be a solution, not a problem. ... What we didn’t want it to be was for Canonical to control the distribution of software between distributions and 3rd party editors, to prevent direct distribution from editors, to make it so software worked better in Ubuntu than anywhere else and to make its store a requirement.

If you’re a Fedora user and you want to install Spotify ... Fedora users are told to go to what is essentially a commercial store operated by a RedHat competitor where stats tell them their distribution is only 7th best.

[and so forth]
Recently, this forum has had quite the furious discussion about Snap in particular, and container distribution conduits more generally. I'm not looking to revisit that, and I certainly am not looking for this thread to become the target of vitriol from anyone. However, it looks like there has been indeed more to this than probably some of us realized — myself included — and so I'm glad this subject has become the enlightened preoccupation of Clem and his crack team, though of course I wish the circumstances were different.

Since my prior participation in that discussion, I've now installed the flatpak distributions of both GIMP 2.10.x and Audacity. It is great, in my opinion, to have a good means of installing the latest release of a program. Certainly in the case of GIMP, it's a pretty significant upgrade. However, I share Clem's concerns, and think we should as a community talk about this and if we come up with good, useful ideas, we should post them in the blog itself.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Linux Mint June 2019 Blog

Post by Moem »

Portreve wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:50 pm Certainly in the case of GIMP, it's a pretty significant upgrade.
I know, right? For me, GIMP just went from 'This software hates me. The feeling is mutual. *sob*' to 'Hey, wait... I can actually use this.'

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Moem wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:59 pm
Portreve wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:50 pm Certainly in the case of GIMP, it's a pretty significant upgrade.
I know, right? For me, GIMP just went from 'This software hates me. The feeling is mutual. *sob*' to 'Hey, wait... I can actually use this.'
I also applied the procedure to make it more Photoshop-like, and it has improved it further.

MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

I've always appreciated the hard work the GIMP team puts out...and it keeps on getting better.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/intent-t ... -only/5987 - Intent to Provide Chromium as a Snap only - May 2018.
Today, chromium updates are built and published for every supported Ubuntu release except trusty (currently xenial, artful, bionic, cosmic) shortly after they are made available upstream. That’s both time- and resource- consuming, and it’s also not trivial to keep it building on older Ubuntu releases.
So, Canonical Inc had no such problems with Ubuntu 16.04 and earlier but only with Ubuntu 18.04 and later = does not compute.
....... Seems Canonical Inc intends to save costs by pushing unuser-friendly Snap apps to replace all apps/programs = maintenance of apps/programs will fall on the shoulders of Linux Snap app developers and not on Ubuntu developers.

Maybe, Canonical Inc also intends Ubuntu Snap Store to be like Android Google Play Store = Ubuntu will be able to dominate desktop Linux to the exclusion of all other Linux distros.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _

Both Ubuntu and MX-Linux are average-user-friendly Linux distros based on non-average-user-friendly Debian(= upstream). How come Canonical-Ubuntu cannot continue to maintain 32bit libraries while the less resourceful MX-Linux can.? = does not compute.
....... Maybe, Linux Mint should be based on MX-Linux instead of Ubuntu from LM 20 or 21 onward for better 32bit library support. The less average-user-friendly LMDE that is based on Debian may not be a good replacement for Ubuntu basement.

As is well-known, LM saves a lot of costs by basing itself on average-user-friendly Ubuntu, eg Linux kernel support and patches for the Meltdown & Spectre bugs are done by kernel, Debian and Ubuntu developers.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

RE: Spotify

I just ran across this Digital Music News article on Spotify, and thought it was interesting and relevant given Clem's July blog.

Thoughts, folks?

Return to “Open Chat”