Windows is so Silly

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Windows is so Silly

Post by pcpunk »

Why is it every time I plug in a new device Windows takes forever to install drivers for the device? LOL :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
HP Compaq nx7400, Cinnamon 19.2
Intel R Core™2CPU, T5500@1.66GHz, 4GB Crucial RAM
Super Clean Runs Perfect
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Windows is so Silly

Post by lsemmens »

This isa Linux forum, you know. Our solution to anything Windwoes is to break out the LInux install medium.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

lsemmens wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:45 pm This isa Linux forum, you know. Our solution to anything Windwoes is to break out the LInux install medium.
+1
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Strangely enough, that is exactly what I did last night. A friend came around with a borked Windwoes 10 system. I showed him Linux and he is willing to give it a try so I re-installed Windwoes and then installed Linux as a dual boot. Surprisingly, after I cleaned all the dust out of an overheating system (it was a laptop and overheating badly) It took less time to install Windwoes with all the updates and "security" than it did to install Linux and "dumb it down" for him. NO! I still don't want to play with Windwoes, I've been bitten once too often by that bug!
Fully mint Household
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

that's actually quite surprising - - since I've always found the Windows Installer does take longer. ..

it's the updates, that take even longer & even the Linux updates, now take ages to accomplish.

folks always find that their New Windows machine, has slowed to an crawl, after only One Year of use.
:(
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Everything takes LOOOONG LOL! Just plugging in a USB shouldn't take that long :?

Windows 10 runs horrible on older computers IMO.

Download download download, Install install install, Reboot, Configure confiture configure, Please wait while we are ruining your life LOL. :D

"We are the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."
Super Clean Runs Perfect
athi

Post by athi »

Pierre wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:31 pm that's actually quite surprising - - since I've always found the Windows Installer does take longer. ..

it's the updates, that take even longer & even the Linux updates, now take ages to accomplish.
It is not the Windows installation that takes the most time, its all the updates plus reboots and slow update servers. Depending on the version of Windows. Win7 takes about .5 hour to install and >8 hours to do the updates with multiple reboots. Win10 takes .5 hours to install and 2-3 hours to updates with a couple of reboots. Plus another .5 hour to tweaks Windows with a couple of reboots. Hated having to reinstall Win7.

Mint Mate takes about 2 hours total for installation, updates and tweaks.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I can only speak to Windows 7 and older, but installation takes longer than GNU+Linux, and as for the updates... forget about it. It's positively glacial.

Mac OS X also runs circles around Windows in this regard and, frankly, always has.

I've had ample opportunity to use both Windows 8.0 and 8.1 (work computers) and Windows 10 (also the occasional work computer, inividuals' computers) and in no event am I even the slightest bit impressed. That's not even including the spying, monitoring, remote disabling, forced upgrades, borking of systems... the list goes on and on.

In a way, I'm fortunate because my present hardware allows me the choice of also using Mac OS X, so for me it isn't strictly an either/or proposition, but I have no desire to run anything other than some distribution of GNU+Linux ever again.

pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

MS should rename it Windslows or Windslowsmedown :lol:
Super Clean Runs Perfect
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

pcpunk wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:08 pm Why is it every time I plug in a new device Windows takes forever to install drivers for the device? LOL :?
It's because Windows sucks.
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Yes, that was the point, but apparently some didn't get it :?
Super Clean Runs Perfect
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

When I was working in the computer industry I was in an IBM dealership but had an Apple LCII on my desk!
Fully mint Household
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

Actually I find installing Windows not that slow, even on an older system. It is getting rid of all the crap that takes so much time.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

athi wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:05 am Mint Mate takes about 2 hours total for installation, updates and tweaks.
I can't speak to Windows. I recently installed Win7 in a VM but because I haven't touched Windows in sooooo long and I had to deal with M$ RE: getting a product code/iso that worked and then the update nightmare it took literally 2 days - but that for sure is not the case for experienced Windows users.

As for Mint here are the times today to install LM 19.1 Cinnamon, granted a lot of this is muscle memory in my case as I have done hundreds of LM installs.

Download and verify: 5 min
Install: 10 min
Updates: 12 min
Tweaks: 7 min (this consisted of turning off all the bells and whistles and turning on the firewall only - time for applying individual tweaks, preferences and additional packages would vary greatly dependent on the individual)
Total:34 min
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Yes, and the whole reason I posted is because Windows takes so long to do anything. One thing in particular is USB Flash Drives. Sometimes takes forever for another Windows Computer to recognize my new Samsung T5 SSD, and same thing with Flash Drives. Linux will just Read the Drive immediately, I love that. Especially if I'm working on a new install or a customer's computer, Linux will accept my USB Wireless Mouse immediately so that I can go to work right away.

Yes, Windows 7 is a PITA to do Updates. I searched for years to find a good way and finally came up with a few for myself. One is manually/normally with some prerequisites, which don't take too long for me anymore. The other is systemprep.
Super Clean Runs Perfect
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I install using an Ethernet cable because there's no pre-installed (aka "OOB") support for my wireless chipset. That said, my installation time is about the same as majpooper's above. Software installation and tweaking settings is perhaps another 20 minutes.

There's no such thing as repatriation of data, because much of what I do revolves around an external hard drive. It just isn't much of a big deal, really.

lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I agree majpooper, it usually only takes me about 20-30mins to set my computer up from the time I hit the boot from USB option to the time I am happily Linuxing again.
Fully mint Household
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

It's not just the glacial update process & the very slow loading & running of programs compared to Linux (on the same hardware), it's all the nannying and hand-holding. It's like they think Windows users have the mental age of an infant. Reading about popups asking things like "Would you like to ask about this on Facebook?" makes me cringe. :x It's worse than the "Office Assistant" getting in the way.

"TING .. It looks like you are typing a suicide note. Would you like some help with that?" :mrgreen:
pcpunk wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:08 pm Why is it every time I plug in a new device Windows takes forever to install drivers for the device? LOL :?
This! .. M$ - in the unlikely event one of your staff are reading this: USB stands for Universal Serial Bus. :wink: It's nonsensical to have to wait for the drivers to reinstall when connecting a previously-initialized device to a different port. Unless they have fixed that in editions later than Win7? :roll:

What finally killed my last Win7 installation, one might ask? .. erm .. plugging my scanner in, which had worked reasonably well up to that point. A bit like that video where Bill Gates plugged one in & we saw the BSOD come up. :lol:

NB. Said scanner works great on Linux. Very few "failed" scans .. and the user interface is miles better than the fisher-price style one in Windows, can now use it to its full capabilities.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

On Windows I use key-combinations to call things like notepad, the calculator and Irfan View.
In Windows XP when pressed they are up immediately. On Windows 10 it literally takes seconds.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

vansloneker wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:24 pm In Windows XP when pressed they are up immediately. On Windows 10 it literally takes seconds.
Ah, but are you running old, memory starved systems loaded to the hilt with stuff, like mine? :mrgreen: My old desktop ran like lightning with Windows xp but unfortunately was stolen, so I didn't get the chance to try Win7 or, later, Linux on it.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Open Chat”