AIO, HDMI Stick, Mini-PC, Monitor?

Chat about just about anything else
palimmo
Level 4
Level 4

AIO, HDMI Stick, Mini-PC, Monitor?

Post by palimmo »

Hi everybody.

I'd like to change soon my external 24' monitor, that we use mostly to watch movies over my laptop.
But since my laptop is pretty old as well (almost 10 years old, although it works with SolydK9 flawless, except in summer (overheating problems)), I'm considering some options:

- Buy a new monitor (24'-27', HDMI). And keep it using my old, dear laptop as long as it.. works. Budget: max. 250€.
- Buy a AIO Computer (24'-27', HDMI OUT & IN ports). I'm not a gamer and I do not really need another laptop, but I'd like to have something at home that saves space. Budget: max. 800€. Any suggestions?
- Buy a Mini-PC (any suggestions?) and a new monitor. It would be great, if the PC can be mounted behind the monitor. Budget: max. 800€.
- Buy a HDMI-Stick (any suggestions and experiences?) and a new monitor. Budget: max. 400€.

Well.. I'm open to some options, as you can see.... :lol:
LM Cinnamon 64bit & SolydK 64bit

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Re: AIO, HDMI Stick, Mini-PC, Monitor?

Post by michael louwe »

palimmo wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:46 am
Hi everybody.

I'd like to change soon my external 24' monitor, that we use mostly to watch movies over my laptop.
<snipped>
Liunx may have poor hardware support for non-mainstream devices like AIO and Computer-Sticks = stick to mainstream devices like OEM desktop PC and laptops from Dell, HP, Lenovo, Acer, Asus, etc.

palimmo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palimmo »

If it is not difficult, I could consider this option as well:

- Buy and configure a Raspberry-Pi (never done: is it easy? I'd like just to have a access to websites and their media centers and watch movies, news, listen to music, etc.) and a new monitor.

palimmo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palimmo »

palimmo wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:57 am
If it is not difficult, I could consider this option as well:

- Buy and configure a Raspberry-Pi (never done: is it easy? I'd like just to have a access to websites and their media centers and watch movies, news, listen to music, etc.) and a new monitor.
It seems to be very easy!
And they launched RaspberryPi 4 (with up to 4 GB RAM) recently!

https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/pro ... setting-up

At the end, I can use it like a "normal" pc, right?
Or do I have some limitations?

Now I do not see any particular reasons to buy an expensive AIO or Mini-PC as well as an HDMI-Stick...

It´'s a pity that Linux Mint doesn't offer a compatible Raspberry version...

Return to “Open chat”