Who has managed to keep the oldest computer still alive and kicking?

Chat about just about anything else
carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Who has managed to keep the oldest computer still alive and kicking?

Post by carum carvi »

My computer is now 10 years old. Still running LM19 smoothly, although the fan starts sounding like a vacuumcleaner whenever a video is played. Besides that everything is hunky dory. Well the start button needs special care. I have to press it several times very gently in one place to make it start up at all.The battery is dead so I have to manually adjust the current date every time I use it and reboot and hope it will still start up... but that's about all the worries I have with my old and dear 10 year old computer...

But I am wondering how old some of the other computers are, all you friendly forum users are using? What's the oldest machine anyone has still be able to make it alive and kicking again?
powerwagon75
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Who has managed to keep the oldest computer still alive and kicking?

Post by powerwagon75 »

Got an approximately 2000-2001 era Mac PowerPC4 (blue & silver case) that I successfully got to dual boot the first version of OSX with Lubuntu 32 bit. The old OSX has a lot of nice (but old) Adobe programs on it that I wanted to hang on to for no good reason. The Lubuntu, boots, operates, but is horrendously slow. Only got 756MB RAM. Toying with the idea of maxing it out just for fun since the sticks are cheap. Can’t do much with it as is, running update takes an eternity, and web browsing just groans to a halt. You can use CLI web browsing that does work okay, but is very awkward and archaic to use. It was a fun experiment.
Custom tower w/Mint 18
HP lap w/Mint 18.3
Acer w/W10/Mint 18.3
Macbook w/El Capitan/Mint 18.3
Optiplex 960 "Frankenbox" w/Fedora 33/Mint 18.3/Mint 19.2
Acer C720 Chromebook w/GalliumOS
Mac PPC G4 w/Lubuntu
athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi »

My oldest that is still in daily use is a 2006 Dell D820 w/32bits coreDuo that I brought used around 2011, running Mint 18.3 32bits. Had to replace the keyboard once but still chugging along. Got to love these old Dell D620/D630/D820/D830 series, tough office machines that keep on working. Not like the garbage Dell put out now.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.
exiledrose
Level 1
Level 1

Post by exiledrose »

The oldest computer I have ever had was a 2002 windows XP desktop it lasted until 2016 when I accidentally installed a 64 bit OS on it which made it lock up completely to the point it wouldn't even boot into the bios or anything. So eh I probably fried the motherboard or something.

Second oldest is a 2009 windows 7 desktop that is still in working condition. We have had to just replace the fans a few times over the years. I would install linux on it but I think 2009 hardware is to old lol. Then need to buy a wifi dongle/thing to get the wifi working in linux but eh plan is to get rid of it. Though I would like to keep it as a backup computer & maybe see if I can't upgrade it a bit to be more modern (but probably require replacing everything lol)

Third is a 2012 laptop I did have linux mint on it but then linux no longer supported the wifi driver/card the laptop had. So had to put windows back on it (gave it to my mom)

Then that is pretty much it lol.
absque fenestris
Level 9
Level 9

Post by absque fenestris »

1994 mac.jpg
1994 mac.jpg (10.76 KiB) Viewed 647 times
1984.png
1984.png (39.57 KiB) Viewed 647 times
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (MATE) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook
Linux Mint 20 Ulyana (Cinnamon) 64-bit - Huawei MateBook X Pro
absque fenestris
Level 9
Level 9

Post by absque fenestris »

And this black beauty from 2002 with 6 SCSI 15000 RPM hard drives beats every vacuum cleaner. My first PC... :mrgreen:
IBM eServer xSeries 225.png
IBM eServer xSeries 225.png (27.23 KiB) Viewed 626 times
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (MATE) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook
Linux Mint 20 Ulyana (Cinnamon) 64-bit - Huawei MateBook X Pro
trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

in 2009 i got a computer from the electronic recycling garbage i used to work at. it had a 2007 bios date on the boot post and a few days later i got a nvidia 8800GT from the same garbage. could hold 4GB RAM and only 3.25 was usable. for a while this computer would stay on weeks at a time until my nvidia finally started showing signs of degradation and had to look for something = or similar when i found a good deal on a nvidia 9800GT which in my opinion was just a rebranding of the 8800 so nvidia can make some more money.

still have it running but have not updated it in a few months since i now spend most my time on a more modern ryzen3
BenTrabetere
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BenTrabetere »

Until recently my main driver was a 'Built for XP' Athlon 4200+ desktop I purchased in 2005. Originally it came with 1GB RAM and two 250MB HDDs. In 2014 it survived a near-fatal dose of Bad Caps and the end of WinXP.

I replaced every capacitor on the motherboard and the power supply, and decided to try Linux before I went through the expense and agony of upgrading to Win7. This was the start of my 3-year transition to being 100% Linux.

In 2016 one of the HDDs was beginning to fail, so I replaced both with 1TB drives and increased the RAM to 4GB. I replaced the graphics card shortly after that when it, too, had Bad Caps.

I did not realize how slow it was until replaced this it year with a new notebook. :)

I also have a couple of laptops from the same era that served as backup systems in case my desktop died - one is running AntiX, the other Bohdi. When I find the courage I will scavenge both of them for parts. (My new backup systems are a couple of MacBook Pros I saved from the recycler.)
CPM
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CPM »

The oldest I have that I know still runs is an IBM Thinkpad T40. Released in 2003, although I bought it used years later. It's still on Windows XP with a legal copy of Office 2007. I boot it rarely, just when I want to use the old Office programs.

The next oldest, is a 2006 vintage Thinkpad Z61t, that I recently dusted off to install an SSD and Mint xfe. I intend to use it for Arduino tinkering.

Also a 2007 T61, which just got an SSD and Mint.

There are older Thinkpads and Thinkcenters in my storage unit but I haven't tried booting any of those since I moved.

My worst computer is a Dell mini 1210, 2008 vintage, it choked on Mint, but Antix runs more or less ok. The Atom CPU is slow as molasses in winter.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

I have an old socket "A" computer stored away, still works, not a daily use of course. My daily computer is as follows;

Code: Select all

System:    Host: mint Kernel: 4.4.0-146-generic i686 (32 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: MATE 1.18.0 (Gtk 3.18.9) info: mate-panel dm: mdm Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   Mobo: Gigabyte model: GA-MA78GPM-UD2H v: x.x Bios: Award v: F7 date: 10/08/2009
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
old_noob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by old_noob »

My wife has a Compaq 386 that dates from 1987. It still boots, though we obviously don't use it for anything.

The oldest unit that I still fire up on a regular basis is a Dell desktop acquired in 2004. Currently dual booting Windows XP and Mint 17 XFCE. We gave it extra RAM so it handles Mint well. XP is still there due to files that I have been too lazy to transfer to newer machines/cloud storage.

Return to “Open chat”