What would you do if....

Chat about just about anything else
MartyMint
Level 6
Level 6

Re: What would you do if....

Post by MartyMint »

I would build a monster Threadripper based system for audio/visual production.
athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi »

deepakdeshp wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:16 pm

Well one way it's good but the other side is one tends to forget that there is life apart from computers as is the case with me.
The problem is that just about everything I do now requires that I go online. I do quite a bit of research on various projects that I am working on or interests that I have in the past or present. I remembered when the only way to find out things was to read books in the library, if it is available in your library. Just even finding the right books was a job in and of itself. Now, just about everything can be found online, catalogued and ready for you.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Post by deepakdeshp »

I would have been much healthier if I had lived a simple farmer's life rather than staring continuously at the screen.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

I absolutely hate wireless keyboards and mice, having owned and used many over the years. I'm not a gamer and so I don't have gamer needs, therefore I find the Logitech M500 mouse to be fantastic.

Also, I could never go back to an unilluminated keyboard. There are others out there which I might like just as well if not more, but my current squeeze is the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, which has been perfectly reliable and serviceable in GNU+Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

Exactly on wireless keyboards. I use wireless mice on all my laptops and they work well (Logitech).

I think I would get an ASUS Crosshair VIII hero board with a Ryzen 3900X 12 core, 32 or 64 gb of ram, Corsair 780T case, Corsair HXi 750 watt psu, either an RTX 2070 or Radeon 5700XT, 512 gb Samsung NVMe, loads of drives (SSD with a 12 tb WD Gold). plus a couple of ASUS 4 k gaming monitors.
AndyMH
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AndyMH »

Exactly on wireless keyboards. I use wireless mice on all my laptops and they work well (Logitech).
Love my MS wireless natural keyboard, have used them (originally wired) since they were first released and wouldn't change. Have had the current one since Sept 17 and only recently had to replace the batteries (I replace my MS wireless mice batteries much more often). While we may knock MS for their OS, their hardware products - keyboards & mice are excellent.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi »

AndyMH wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:08 am
Love my MS wireless natural keyboard, have used them (originally wired) since they were first released and wouldn't change. Have had the current one since Sept 17 and only recently had to replace the batteries (I replace my MS wireless mice batteries much more often). While we may knock MS for their OS, their hardware products - keyboards & mice are excellent.
MS does make the best mouse, just cannot beat the fit and feel. Never got into wireless mouse and keyboard, to me it is just more things to go wrong and offends the KISS principle. Heck, I am still using PS2 mouse and keyboard on my desktops since they always works and is detected way faster than USB.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

Well how many people repurpose old computers to run Linux since they cannot run Windows or Mac O/S anymore?
coffee412
Level 6
Level 6

Post by coffee412 »

No doubt in my mind - I would buy a Threadripper cpu and about 64 gigs memory, RAID card, 32 inch dual monitors, in a case with hot swap drives. Then I would put linux Mint on it.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
IceWarp 12.0.3 * Mint 18.3 * RAID 1/5 * OpenVPN * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
************* Get Your Linux on! ***************
BenTrabetere
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BenTrabetere »

MurphCID wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:47 am
Well how many people repurpose old computers to run Linux since they cannot run Windows or Mac O/S anymore?
Except for my new shiny, every computer I have is an old computer that found new life with Linux. Most are old 32-bit notebooks that are well past their useful life - I use them for experimessing and breaking. One is my old desktop that is all but retired.

I have a few MacBook Pros that I recently acquired; they refused to boot to MacOS, but took to Linux just fine. One is my fall-back system (in case I bork my new shiny), one I gave to my mother, and one I gave to my neighbor's college-bound daughter.
athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi »

MurphCID wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:47 am
Except for the first new pre-build PC I brought and building a few new PC, I have always brought/given used PC/Mac. Used to be getting used gaming PC to run Windows and then stripped for parts and the dump. Now with Linux, it is used Windows PC or Mac to run Linux, then if possible re-used as NAS, then stripped for parts and the dump. Linux and nas4free gives these old desktop PC another 7-8 years of useful life but not so much for laptop. Still got a D820 laptop with 32bits core Duo with Mate 18.3 that is used daily for web browsing.

If somebody have suggestions on what to use these older laptop for, I am all ears.

Return to “Open chat”