Chat about just about anything else
RollyShed
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Landing on a street

Post by RollyShed » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:49 pm

TLMAC wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:11 pm
Why do you believe that any American would care if "you stayed away or not"?
When they need me to go and do fix jobs for NASA.
And who ran it for 20 years? Yes, a New Zealander so you do need those of us from off shore.

Note - the Russians put their latest crash down in a corn field, not on the highway. Being an Airbus it probably wouldn't have fitted between the lamp poles.
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/08/15/euro ... index.html

RollyShed
Level 2
Level 2

Post by RollyShed » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:54 pm

Investigators reveal cause of ex-NASCAR driver Earnhardt's plane crash.
If you land it heavily you can cause a bit of damage -
https://www.autosport.com/nascar/news/1 ... lane-crash
"... the right-side main landing gear collapsed after a second or third heavy 'bounce' along the runway as it attempted to land."

TLMAC
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TLMAC » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:03 pm

RollyShed:

Your defensive posturing is unnecessary. You obviously missed the point (Drop Bears). It was a joke and I hope/believe lsemmens understood that. Try reading the last paragraph in my first post and the line above my name. If you noticed lsemmens and I later chatted about traveling and I'm envious of his Chinese wedding trip. Sounds like it was epic and (as he put it) "spectacular".

* As for NASA, I've met quite a few people at Los Alamos, CIT, EG&G Idaho and others that don't trust NASA and question their position/motives on numerous topics. Assuming NASA is loved by all Americans - may be a mistake. One thing is certain about the US, there's no lack of opinions here. :)

I'm checking out of this thread, as I have no desire to argue which country or person is more important than another. I just don't see life that way - nor do I wish to waste time arguing over it.

Good Luck
Mac

RollyShed
Level 2
Level 2

Post by RollyShed » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:51 pm

TLMAC wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:03 pm
RollyShed:
Your defensive posturing is unnecessary. You obviously missed the point (Drop Bears). It was a joke
The drop bears were a completely different thread and I know it is a joke so I don't know where that comment came from as this thread concerns aircraft landing on streets. And it wasn't me who asked why anyone would want non-USA citizens in USA so I can't figure that either.

I've missed something? OK I got the Russian aircraft landing in a cornfield and not a street and race car driver bounced off a runway but...

lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8

Post by lsemmens » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:03 am

It's ok, I took it as intended. Thread drift is a wonderful thing, but it can get confusing, sometimes. Yes, the drop bears was from another thread, but, really, who cares. :wink:
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

RollyShed
Level 2
Level 2

Post by RollyShed » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:10 am

lsemmens wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:03 am
Yes, the drop bears was from another thread, but, really, who cares. :wink:
TLMAC got really worked up about it. Drop bears crashing into the street? And worst, he asked a question and I answered it.

As for us down here (southern hemisphere), I see after 2 years a report out about a fatal crash at Mount Gambier -
https://www.9news.com.au/national/angel ... 708e31df4d

Looks like the problem was he just missed the road (lead picture), wasn't qualified and poor visibility. Yes, poor visibility seems to be a problem and then we get drop-bears crashing into Linux..... and Airbuses into cornfields...

lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8

Post by lsemmens » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:43 pm

Yes, it was sad that an Angel Flight became an angel.

It's a no win situation here, Angel Flight are a well regarded and charitable organisation trying to make a difficult time for people, a little less difficult. The pilot was trying to do the right thing, i.e. get the patient to the big smoke in a timely manner. AFAIK he was a volunteer, so, A.F. had little input into who flew the plane (I suspect). There may need to be more checks and balances put in but how.

In this case the pilot, is ultimately responsible for the safe operation of the aircraft. Sadly, the buck stops with him. How many of us check to see if our bus driver is qualified to drive our bus? I would venture, that many bus drivers are employed without the company ever sighting the driver's license.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Open chat”