Hurricane Dorian

Chat about just about anything else
Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Hurricane Dorian

Post by Portreve » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:55 pm

As most of you probably know by now, Hurricane Dorian has increased in strength to a Category 4 hurricane, travelling roughly west northwest at 16 kph (10 mph). It may possibly strengthen further to a Category 5 hurricane by the time it makes landfall. At the time of this post, the multiple computer model tracks take it up towards the east coast of Florida, somewhere north of Miami, and then up along the coast (either on land or, in theory, off-shore) and roughly track the U.S.'s eastern seaboard.

I live in Florida, and I know there are others here who also do. It seems like a good idea (or at least a nice, friendly touch) to post something here so people can let others know what's going on and (most importantly) that they're alive and well.
I'm so down wit' dat', yo, dass ich unter dem Beton bin.

Presently rocking LinuxMint 19.2 Cinnamon.

Remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

All in all, you're just another brick in the wall.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Hurricane Dorian

Post by Spearmint2 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:07 pm

I feel your pain. I have a getaway place in Panama City, and severe damage last october from Michael. I was there in June and July, first week no electric, then two weeks with a BS-3000? generator to run an AC finally. Hot as hell then too. I did get all the downed trees cut up and branches cleared, but community trash refused to take the trunk parts. I still have them all cut and stacked in a corner, so maybe in winter someone will want them for firewood and take away.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

BenTrabetere
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BenTrabetere » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:25 pm

I am watching this storm closely, and I hope it follows the models and starts turning north when it hits land. I have a bad feeling the models are bad wrong, and I fear Dorian will continue across Florida and enter the Gulf somewhere around Tampa.

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:39 pm

Well, my company's regional offices are located in Tampa. :lol: :wink:

No, I don't suppose I could ever get quite that lucky.

lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8

Post by lsemmens » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:44 pm

I lived in Darwin for many years so I understand your concerns.

My attitude has been prepare for it to hit, but do not panic. At least, with Cyclones and Hurricanes, you get some warning, and have some idea what it is likely to do. I used to laugh at people who would ask "How do you go, living with all those Cyclones?" My response was always the same, "I don't know, how do you go living with all those Bushfires and Floods?" I know what I'd prefer, and it ain't bushfire or flood. I now live in a flood and bushfire area.

Seriously, I trust that those in its path stay safe.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:38 am

What I can't understand is people who live in earthquake-prone areas. I realize there's not absolutely no warning but there's not much of a warning. And realistically, if you're a normal person with a home and a normal amount of possessions, how the heck are you going to get it out of the way in advance if you've got, like, what... a day's notice? Maybe just a few hours?

OTOH, I'm really done with the whole hurricane thing myself. I can't wait to get out of Florida. I've been here since 1982, in theory I should have bugged out after high school. Of course, I had absolutely no real understanding of the world outside of going to school and doing homework, and was kind of in a bit of a bubble. I also had a lot of other psychological issues at the time, so actually leaving at that point was never in the cards. Nevertheless, I need to go, and I can't wait until I can do so.

BenTrabetere
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BenTrabetere » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:39 pm

Portreve wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:38 am
What I can't understand is people who live in earthquake-prone areas.
Sinkholes?

lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8

Post by lsemmens » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:52 pm

Portreve wrote:
It's like living anywhere else, really, many of those people know no better, i.e. they've always lived there and think of it as "normal". Strictly speaking, there is no where that is safe. If it ain't the weather, then it's the geography, if it ain't that, then it's the wildlife, if it ain't that, then it's one of your neighbours......
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

absque fenestris
Level 6
Level 6

Post by absque fenestris » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:03 am

lsemmens wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:52 pm
Portreve wrote:
It's like living anywhere else, really, many of those people know no better, i.e. they've always lived there and think of it as "normal". Strictly speaking, there is no where that is safe. If it ain't the weather, then it's the geography, if it ain't that, then it's the wildlife, if it ain't that, then it's one of your neighbours......
That would be a nice Linux application: where do I live most safely as a Linux user with as pleasant neighbours as possible?
Statistically as exact as the weather forecast, such a program should be possible... :mrgreen:
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:03 am

is Hurricane Dorian bigger than Hurricane Harvey :?:

only time will tell, one supposes.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:47 am

With luck, it will have less of an overall impact on humanity. That said, the Bahamas have gotten pretty jacked up by it, and there's at least one person who's died as a result. :(

old_noob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by old_noob » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:43 pm

Portreve wrote:
OTOH, I'm really done with the whole hurricane thing myself. I can't wait to get out of Florida.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the world's foremost hurricane expert chooses to live in Colorado (the CSU guy whose name escapes me now).

At least you are a FL old timer who knows what to do.... too many don't take this stuff seriously. I was lucky (?) enough to be in Houston in 1979 when the USA 24 hour rainfall record was set, since eclipsed by Harvey in virtually the same location. It was surreal to see water lapping at the front porch and bass boats going up and down the streets. We were among the lucky few whose house stayed dry but were stranded for a few days.

Hunker down and hope it stays offshore!

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:32 pm

Portreve wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:47 am
With luck, it will have less of an overall impact on humanity. That said, the Bahamas have gotten pretty jacked up by it, and there's at least one person who's died as a result. :(
I just read there's reports of floating bodies there and they expect as the hurricane moves away and the flood waters recede some of those will be pulled out to sea, maybe never seen again.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:59 am

Spearmint2 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:32 pm
Portreve wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:47 am
I just read there's reports of floating bodies there and they expect as the hurricane moves away and the flood waters recede some of those will be pulled out to sea, maybe never seen again.
Yep, I've seen reports of that myself. It's very, very sad.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:39 am

Return to “Open chat”