Animated GIFs...

Chat about just about anything else
Portreve
Level 7
Level 7

Animated GIFs...

Post by Portreve » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:50 pm

I have always loved a good animated GIF. I can remember going back years and years ago how much I loved animated GIF avatars on different message boards I used to be on. Or, animated GIF signatures. Over the years, I've made a few myself, and lately (as you all know) I've been making them for my account here on LMF.

I really started making them myself back when I was on SciFi.com's message board, and of course over the years I've made other things. Back when I used to work for Sony's call center in Fort Myers, Florida, we had downtime, and so I made a variety of things in between calls, one of which was the following image.

I have allowed my life, over the course of the last 15 years, to become far too tunnel-visioned and lately it's come to my attention I need to get back to those parts of me that I really enjoyed, both in the visual as well as language arts. I'd love to do some more funny GIFs and post them here (periodically).

If anyone here also has some LMF-friendly animated GIFs they'd like to share — especially if you've created it yourself — knock yourself out and post it here.

I've already created another animated avatar for here, specifically as we approach Halloween. Stay tuned!
I'm so down wit' dat', yo, dass ich unter dem Beton bin.

Presently rocking LinuxMint 19.2 Cinnamon.

Remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

All in all, you're just another brick in the wall.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Animated GIFs...

Post by catweazel » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:59 pm

Portreve wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:50 pm
If anyone here also has some LMF-friendly animated GIFs they'd like to share — especially if you've created it yourself — knock yourself out and post it here.
Yours is a timely post. I'm currently gimping a series of frames for a game I'm writing but need to know what tool to use to create an animated gif. What do you use?
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

Portreve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Portreve » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:20 pm

catweazel wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:59 pm
Portreve wrote:
Yours is a timely post. I'm currently gimping a series of frames for a game I'm writing but need to know what tool to use to create an animated gif. What do you use?
GIMP itself, actually.

Prep:

Sequence your frames (images) and name them sequentially. This will ensure they are opened and imported in the order intended.

Animation:

From within GIMP, File -> Open as Layers... and select the range of images you're interested in.

If you wish, you can do a mass image scale, or mass image crop, at this point, thus ensuring all frames are uniformly scaled/cropped/etc.

File -> Export as... and give the file an appropriate name with a ".gif" suffix. You'll then get the following pop-up settings panel:

You'll need to check "As animation" and then you'll see the animation-related settings at the bottom of this panel, as shown in the above screenshot.

Portreve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Portreve » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:34 pm

When I create avatars for this message board, here's what I do.

First off, understand that the destination (target) image is one which is square, and 120 x 120 pixels in size.

In the case of the ones I've been making lately, I do a sequential frame grab out of VLC, with playback slowed waaaaaaaaaay down so that I can react to each individual frame of video playback. By default, VLC requires you to specify what directory (folder) to use for screen shots of video; typically, I have a folder set up inside of "Pictures" called "VLC Frame Grabs".

Generally, I grab frames before and after what I'm actually interested in, and then using just the Nemo file manager and an image viewer, I will go through and decide which images I want to use, and delete the images I don't want.

At this point, the "image" I'm working with is much larger than the target spec as mentioned above. I keep it this way so I have an easier time making any alterations to the image, and also composing the crop boundary. I then make a determination of what I want to keep in the image, and center a perfectly square selection area around that, then Image -> Crop to Selection. Once it's cropped, I then Image -> Scale Image... and, with X and Y linked, change one of them to 120, which will then change the other as well. I make sure the image resolution is set to 72 dpi.

At that point, I do exactly what I just told catweazel above.

Sometimes, it's necessary to drop frames, and other times it's necessary to duplicate frames. For example, you might want to partially reverse the animation sequence to help blend it back into the starting point.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:36 pm

Portreve wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:20 pm
catweazel wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:59 pm
Portreve wrote:
GIMP itself, actually.
Well, I'll be... many thanks.

EDIT:

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:11 pm

Hi Portreve, catweazel, and anyone else interested in Animated Gif's,

Interesting post and replies.

I have always liked Animated Gif's as well and they display in forums where other videos would not.

There are some really good posts in this forum on creating Animated Gif's from desktop recordings, pictures, video clips, etc... or converting video files into animated Gif's.

One of my favorite simple to use methods for creating Animated Gif's is using "Ezgif.com". My avatar was created using "ezgif.com".

Animated GIF editor and GIF maker
https://ezgif.com/

Previous posts:

how do i export my picture file to the avatar? (solved)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=201334&hilit=avatar

good program/app for creating Animated GIFs? - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?t=208903

Video to GIF? - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?t=239087

* Hello from CHILE! I need your help - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?t=278856

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

pascal111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pascal111 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:19 pm

Lovely topic!!
I liked animation gif but I knew few about 'em, all I do is to bring images that have my vision or idea of my imagination to any gif animation maker online and decide the order, time, and of course I added some texts, it's of my bad luck that I can't draw or make graphics in this era, it's a gift from heaven.

Examples for my simple works:

Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Schultz » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:30 pm

Here's one I made a while back. I would've liked to have used it in a few threads here. :lol:

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:10 pm

Here are two of mine:
krtekleest.gif
krtekleest.gif (12.85 KiB) Viewed 333 times
chrietbrauw.ani.gif
chrietbrauw.ani.gif (25.71 KiB) Viewed 333 times

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

pascal111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pascal111 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:02 pm

Nice Schultz and Moem, Moem ones are accurate, I tried to do one with some accuracy but maybe I made it accurate 80%, imagine BASIC interpreter in French like C64:

pascal111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pascal111 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:12 pm

I did it again by using the same image.

pascal111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pascal111 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:02 am

I tried to make a funny dialogue like Portreve one:

Portreve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Portreve » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:20 pm

pascal111 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:02 am
I tried to make a funny dialogue like Portreve one:

:D :D :D

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:38 am

phd21 wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:11 pm
I have always liked Animated Gif's...
I despise the annoying things :)

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:39 am

catweazel wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:38 am
phd21 wrote:
I dislike them if they're too 'busy' or distracting. That's why mine are on the subtle side. You could overlook the fact that they are animated at all.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Portreve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Portreve » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:56 am

Moem wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:39 am
catweazel wrote:
phd21 wrote:
I dislike them if they're too 'busy' or distracting. That's why mine are on the subtle side. You could overlook the fact that they are animated at all.
As a visual person, my tastes run towards whatever is appropriate for delivering the message that's intended, whether it's historical, ironic, comedic, straight-up satire, or whatever. That said, I'm of the school of thought that less is more.

That's why I try with my own avatars here, for example, not to beat around the bush.

pascal111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pascal111 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:55 am

Portreve wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:56 am
Moem wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:39 am
catweazel wrote:

As a visual person, my tastes run towards whatever is appropriate for delivering the message that's intended, whether it's historical, ironic, comedic, straight-up satire, or whatever. That said, I'm of the school of thought that less is more.

That's why I try with my own avatars here, for example, not to beat around the bush.
To me, I think I like any icon that has any kind of art, in the meaning that its author made it in artistic way even if it's simple way or short idea, also I like graphics and nature of DOS period and C64, I don't know why it makes me feel in computers more than many modern forms.

pascal111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pascal111 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:17 pm

I've new GIFs, we want thread to share our GIFs!

Return to “Open chat”