Computer thoughts

Chat about just about anything else
pascal111
Level 3
Level 3

Computer thoughts

Post by pascal111 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:17 am

#1:

We were in 80,s I was about 5 or 6 years old, it was the time of home computers, we didn't know yet about PC's nor MAC's, my father was learning himself by books one of home computers I don't remember its name, one day he ran "Boulder Dash" game from the cassette, he learned me how to play and I continue myself discovering the keyboard. I felt so good after I became more familiar with the game and the keyboard, and after gained some understanding, computer is good thing, you can enjoy yourself with games and these kinds of graphics, that graphics have their art and beauty which we can call "computer art", it made strange beautiful feeling in my heart.

One author said about that time that the meaning of learning computer was the synonym of learning programming, that was what my father was doing lot of time, learning programming in BASIC with home computers, he was mathematics teacher and I think he was attracted by the computer and programming, he programmed many example he read or tried like that draw geometric graphics on TV's (computer's screen at that time), he spent about 8 or 10 years like that way before buying first PC, there was no expecting in his mind at that time that we can use home computers to make commercial programs, I think that, I think that he thought that the programming is a useful activity and it's good for training and increasing intellectual skills. After PC's coming, he learned himself GW-BASIC and DOS, then when QBasic came, he went to QBasic environment and learned it.

I didn't hear that my father met a professional in computers and asked him some help, maybe that kind of programmers was rare at that time around us, but there were hobbyists like my father and they may exchange the oil about computers. But most the time he was buying books and learning from 'em. With QBasic he tried to make programs to use 'em in real life, useful programs for his work, database kind, it was so difficult with QBasic in case of that not all oil you need is available at that time, I didn't hear about Internet at that time. After, OS's used GUI, my father started to discover new stage, the visual programming, magic was on him because of VB at its first days, at that time I heard about Internet and started to discover it, some people at another parts of world used Internet under DOS but we weren't of 'em.

I think my father dream was the successful making of database programs, and he succeeded in a part of his dream and some people asked him to program programs for 'em and he succeeded to gain some money too and to have good position and reputation in his work, and I think he gave lessons in computer and programming in VB. I think after he has reached to be in a level in database programming that made him to be some satisfied, he was ill and died, sad ending for that programmer!!

rene
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Computer thoughts

Post by rene » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:01 am

pascal111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pascal111 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:29 am

It seems nice but it isn't for enjoying someone like me, I'm poor :) it's for another someone. If you found free one tell me, thanx.

pascal111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pascal111 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:08 am

After searching I found this game and I tried it, it's not bad and it's free and from UNIX, I felt some good to deal with UNIX old game and running it under Mint.

Sites:

http://www.bd-fans.com/FreewareUnix.html

http://bd4.amristar.com.au/

pascal111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pascal111 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:48 am

#2:

Once, after my father came to VB world and learned some about databases and found how much programming is useful and can yield money, and you can make useful programs that can manage works, he found that the normal user can be someone if he learned something like VB, I think that he found that he can invade the market or the world of computer, he can invade it as business, I think because normal users of home computers thought that they can do programs for themselves or in so limited area, after my father discovered that he said a word to me, that he thought that he wasted about 10 years with home computers and learning its BASIC dialects and perform demos and graphics programs for fun and intellectual activeness, but I've another opinion, I thought that the fate or what can we call managed this learning process, because it'll be more appropriate at that time to cross first the period of home computers to be familiar, so familiar with programming and codes, so he didn't waste his time as he thought, yes, he didn't make any money or useful things with home computers but he became qualified with computers more and more, before he know about computers or bought first home computer, he know mathematics and chess, he loved reading books and the intellectual activities, he wasn't so fast but he has long patient to learn something or to work on it.

Another point and me and my father have a disagreement in it with each other is the caring in English as a source for good oil in computers, he can read English but not so perfect, I don't know his level in English, but specially at the time of VB he bought many books in both English and Arabic languages to gain oil for VB, he told me that you don't have to be perfect in English to learn programming, but I've another opinion, I thought that if you've good English you can get more useful oil about the programming language you learn, you can get more details, it's the road of the perfectness of programming, Arabic book can translate or focus on some parts of VB for example, but it's not necessary to tell you everything in details, you need the core and the essential parts of the topic you're studying.

What proved my opinion is that when I improved my language some little and read in English sources I found many many times so useful oil in programming, I think I read that QBasic for example can work with database program under DOS, can deal with it files, I'm not yet sure, it was an example, so I tried to make flashback for my father time when he worked with QBasic and found a lot of difficulties, I found now that he could use databases from another database programs, it could make his aims at that time so possible, he tried to make a program in QBasic to manage the data of teachers, something like that. Another example, the OOP, he tried to understand the OOP in VB but the subject was obscure in English and Arabic books he bought had obscure explanation too, but now I get maybe the basic idea of OOP, we don't use the class in the programming, class is just like a template for objects we'll declare 'em like variables after that, there are many other examples that prove my opinion, good English can yield good oil.

lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8

Post by lsemmens » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:38 pm

I was writing Dababases in the lat 80s. My kids all grew up with a computer in the house. They were trained from an early age how to install and maintain hardware and software. I used to play a game with them. Beat the security. (This was in the early days of DOS/Windoze) The only one they could not beat was when I set the screen to black on black. All it required was a <ctrl><c> to abort the batch file. They are now all very technically oriented in their respective professions.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

RollyShed
Level 2
Level 2

Post by RollyShed » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:26 am

lsemmens wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:38 pm
The only one they could not beat was when I set the screen to black on black.
Douglas Adams "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"
"Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls that are labelled in black on a black background, a little black light lights up black to let you know you've done it."

pascal111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pascal111 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:52 am

lsemmens wrote:
I was writing Dababases in the lat 80s. My kids all grew up with a computer in the house. They were trained from an early age how to install and maintain hardware and software. I used to play a game with them. Beat the security. (This was in the early days of DOS/Windoze) The only one they could not beat was when I set the screen to black on black. All it required was a <ctrl><c> to abort the batch file. They are now all very technically oriented in their respective professions.
Computer of education or as a part of the education process, I was thinking more than once about the learning process in this era, what makes someone to be good educated in this era? To me, many things are losing their values, computer is good useful thing but we need to learn how to use it in effective ways in our lives, it's good that you made computers as a part of their learning process.

pascal111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pascal111 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:16 am

#3:

After I performed small part of games concepts by QBasic, and after I understood this part of saving and loading your sprites into binary file, I felt that I become more advanced in my mind level, maybe it's small dream to others but to me it's important that how can I make a game or invade its programming world, it's elementary programs I made but they made me feel good, you were thinking how a character is move around the area of screen, how it interacts with other sprites, I didn't talk about audio part in QBasic, nor using joystick and mouse, nor geometric graphics art, nor huge number of beautiful charming colors, I found the essential part to me in the beginning to understand the principles of this game process is the core of making sprites and map and what it need to give us a form that has the meaning of a game, next, we can collect and improve the other parts like audio, color ...etc

I was wondering about if QBasic can do a game like Boulder Dash or Mario, can it do platform games or acceptable degree of RPG games, to me, if it can do tasks like those it'll be really an excellent tool to gain the general idea of the traditional games principles.

After I performed this basic principles of game process and it has a small code part seems to be like Assembly I felt more good to hear music and remembered computer musics like C64 and traditional games musics, once, an author said in his Assembly book introduction that programming in Assembly is like playing or learning music, playing with piano, I felt good too to hear things like Beethoven's musics and some of it were made by computers too like C64.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFD2PPAqNbw

lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8

Post by lsemmens » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:10 am

RollyShed wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:26 am
lsemmens wrote:
The only one they could not beat was when I set the screen to black on black.
Douglas Adams "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"
"Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls that are labelled in black on a black background, a little black light lights up black to let you know you've done it."
I read that book some years later. Strangely enough, even though I had been a great SciFi fan (actually, still) in my youth, Douglas Adams did not cross my path until the 1990s. By that time I'd read Most of Arthur C. Clark, Aldiss, Pournelle and numerous others. I've lost count of the umber of times I've either watched, or read, 2001, A Space Odyssey, not to mention the sequels, :D.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Portreve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Portreve » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:38 am

V2hlcmUgYXJlIHRoZSBlbGVjdHJpYyBzaGVlcCBQaGlsIHByb21pc2VkIG1lPw==
— Data
I'm so down wit' dat', yo, dass ich unter dem Beton bin.

Presently rocking LinuxMint 19.2 Cinnamon.

Remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

All in all, you're just another brick in the wall.

pascal111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pascal111 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:14 am

#4:

Once, my father told me to learn VB and that too he'll tell me everything he knows and discovered in programming, to have his experience and to work together, you won't chose one better than your son to teach him all secrets you know, at that time, many people trying to learn VB and to achieve programs with it and gain money and reputations, he made real efforts to learn it and didn't give his secrets to anyone who can remove him and take his place, there was a competition, I answered him "na, na" I want to learn VC++, he said that I'll find no good support to learn it and VB has good support, there are a lot of books in VB and examples ...etc, after his died and some years I discovered that he was right in general, if you're in an environment that everything is available, you can make your choice and learn what you want, but in limited environment it'll be the most wise thing to learn the supported material or your total gain will be zero.

The difference between me and my father is that he focuses on databases and business programs but I focus on games program as my first direction in programming and I can learn anything else after it and VB is good games and graphics, of course better than QBasic and maybe can do good games like TC++ under DOS.

I think as you have to have a language to read and right, you have to have a language to code.

pascal111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pascal111 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:32 am

#5:

Limitations in learning programming language aren't only in the supporting, it can be too in your beginning to be familiar with programming, maybe to start in something like C++ you've to be qualified for that but BASIC is always a good start point, you can learn BASIC and become more familiar with programming and perform what you seek with it in its abilities level then you can change to something like C++. So, suppose that C++ learning sources supporting are available, but you've no idea about what programming is.

Suppose that I want to learn programming games by C++, I assume that taking general good idea and principles of games making by BASIC will be a good step and will make the person more familiar with games making.

I touched in middle east according to my limited knowledge with this area of world that learners or learning process focus on business programming, I didn't hear about good games programmer from middle east who has lived in middle east, nor games making team work of middle east, I didn't see good games Arabs made, but in the market there are many business programs, it'll make an image about programming that programming is just how to perform business of company on computer and this's wrong, programming is more than that.

pascal111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pascal111 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:16 pm

#6:

Once a member in a C64 forum told me that there's no benefit behind learning programming in C64 except for hobby purpose!! a question triggered on my mind that why C64 programming can't be a business any more?! I heard that there's something called the supply and demand in markets in economic, so there's no effective demand for C64 games in the way that yields programmers for this retro programming, another question triggered on my mind that why there's no demand for C64 games or what makes people come in effective way to demand a good?

When client knows about mobiles from media and society and how much it's a useful device to have. he intends to buy a one, he'll care more in this device and watch it's commercials, there's a supply and demand for mobiles and therefore there's a market, it's sense, when we talk about something like C64, most of people have no idea about it or they don't care about it, they have no motivation to play C64 game, so we will use it for hobby or historical purposes.

Another idea triggered on my mind that clients will buy valuable things, you think C64 games aren't valuable, but what makes the new games to be valuable, we hear about big games and good money gaining and high prices and active games market, what's the difference?

If you changed the clients minds or people minds to care in C64 games, you'll activate in the end the programming of C64 and it'll be turned to be a business again.

pascal111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pascal111 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:59 pm

#7:

Quel est le mot?!!
What's the word?!!

The word can be a creative code, it doesn't stop or end in limited measured code, it yields more and more creative codes. What's the word?!! it can be written words but we don't sure which one of 'em is the word, it yields more and more written words, because the word is like a spirit that's incarnate in vocabularies, so it can be anything. If we watched computer writings we'll see more words are born, what's the reason or what's the word?!!

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:22 pm

Hi pascal111,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

If you want to play Boulder Dash or other games from that era, there are various options you can use in Linux. There are also many game emulators that can be installed and used with many types of games (sega, nintendo, etc...). There are two "DOS" packages that work well for running DOS applications and games, "dosemu" and "dosbox". I think "dosemu" works better.

From what I just read, there may already be a game called "epiphany" a boulderdash clone available in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM).

Ubuntu Manpage: epiphany - boulderdash clone
https://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/bi ... ame.6.html

download epiphany a boulderdash clone linu deb file for Linux Mint 19.x Bionic (18.04) : Ubuntu
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/bionic/+package/epiphany

linux Ubuntu run Boulder Dash - Google Search
https://www.google.com/search?ei=bU9xXd ... ulder+Dash

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

pascal111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pascal111 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:01 pm

phd21 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:22 pm
Hi pascal111,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

If you want to play Boulder Dash or other games from that era, there are various options you can use in Linux. There are also many game emulators that can be installed and used with many types of games (sega, nintendo, etc...). There are two "DOS" packages that work well for running DOS applications and games, "dosemu" and "dosbox". I think "dosemu" works better.

From what I just read, there may already be a game called "epiphany" a boulderdash clone available in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM).

Ubuntu Manpage: epiphany - boulderdash clone
https://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/bi ... ame.6.html

download epiphany a boulderdash clone linu deb file for Linux Mint 19.x Bionic (18.04) : Ubuntu
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/bionic/+package/epiphany

linux Ubuntu run Boulder Dash - Google Search
https://www.google.com/search?ei=bU9xXd ... ulder+Dash

Hope this helps ...
At ★#4 I mentioned games programming, and it's true one of may basic interesting, thank you for your efforts I'll go know and search for "epiphany".

pascal111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pascal111 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:17 pm

phd21 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:22 pm

I installed it but I faced two problems:

(★ The command that run the game is unknown.

(★ There's another application with the same name and in the terminal Linux offered how to install it.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:34 pm

Hi pascal111,

You are welcome...

When I installed it, it created an "Epiphany" menu entry under Games -> Arcade, and I can click that to run it and it comes right up. Sometimes, you may have to logout and back in or restart your computer before newly installed applications show in your menus. This does not have many options like increasing the screen size, etc... that I could find but it does work with arcade sounds.

Code: Select all

sudo apt install epiphany
There are many options for programming and programming games as well and many programming languages. You have to decide on which operating systems (Linux, MS windows, Mac, Android, Java, etc...) you want anything you program to work on or if you want your programming projects to be cross-platform and work on various platforms.

linux ubuntu program create games - Google Search
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACY ... CAs&uact=5

linux ubuntu 18.04 games - Google Search

Hope this helps ...
game_epiphany_BoulderDash_clone_copy.jpg
Game = Epiphany a Boulder Dash Clone
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

pascal111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pascal111 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:29 am

phd21 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:34 pm
Hi pascal111,

You are welcome...

When I installed it, it created an "Epiphany" menu entry under Games -> Arcade, and I can click that to run it and it comes right up. Sometimes, you may have to logout and back in or restart your computer before newly installed applications show in your menus. This does not have many options like increasing the screen size, etc... that I could find but it does work with arcade sounds.

sudo apt install epiphany
There are many options for programming and programming games as well and many programming languages. You have to decide on which operating systems (Linux, MS windows, Mac, Android, Java, etc...) you want anything you program to work on or if you want your programming projects to be cross-platform and work on various platforms.

linux ubuntu program create games - Google Search

linux ubuntu 18.04 games - Google Search

Hope this helps ...
game_epiphany_BoulderDash_clone_copy.jpg

Yes, after restarting I found the game in the game menu, but also you can run it by a command under the terminal:

epiphany-game

Return to “Open chat”