Richard Stallman presents at Microsoft campus...

Chat about just about anything else
Portreve
Level 7
Level 7

Richard Stallman presents at Microsoft campus...

Post by Portreve » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:53 pm

The other day, Richard Stallman gave a talk at Microsoft to one of their groups. Now, it's being reported all over by tech websites that is over, or that rms has lost his mind, etc. From my perspective, that sort of reporting is nothing but yellow journalism.

Has anyone here gotten actual insight into the talk itself?

What does the LM community think of him doing this?
I'm so down wit' dat', yo, dass ich unter dem Beton bin.

Presently rocking LinuxMint 19.2 Cinnamon.

Remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

All in all, you're just another brick in the wall.

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Richard Stallman presents at Microsoft campus...

Post by all41 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:06 pm

One of RS quotes in the presentation reported here:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/09/0 ... microsoft/
----Microsoft is a great company...if you ignore what they are doing to the freedom of users...unfortunately this is very important"

AZgl1500
Level 10
Level 10
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:19 pm

I read thru the links and came away with nothing about what Stallman said at Microsoft.

rene
Level 11
Level 11

Post by rene » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:34 am

Looking for those above mentioned links I just read, http://techrights.org/2019/09/07/rms-microsoft-trap/,
And my wife asked about his mind’s state… knowing that he’s approaching 70. I assured her he’s fine. [ ... ] My wife then put forth a theory that maybe Microsoft’s surveillance netted something on RMS — something by which to control him.
Yet, somehow the author then goes on without realizing that not RMS but his wife is the complete loon.

There's nothing to see here again. And I'd in fact be surprised if RMS hadn't given a talk at Microsoft before; most certainly he has at other closed-source software companies, criticizing closed-source in all his usual ways.

Portreve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Portreve » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:30 am

all41 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:06 pm
One of RS quotes in the presentation reported here:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/09/0 ... microsoft/
... and ...
rene wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:34 am
Looking for those above mentioned links I just read, http://techrights.org/2019/09/07/rms-microsoft-trap/,
These are the two articles I've thus far found, with the Techrights one appearing in my news feed. Here's the thing, though: The Register is an established source, and had been around for ages. The other, if the whois record is to be believed, had been around since 2010, but beyond the fact that I've never heard of 'em before, it is not a professionally-written piece. It purports to report on the event, but it does not report what specifically happened, nor does it quote what was said.

It's hard for me to tell if this is just some amateur hour outfit trying to get themselves to show up in Google's news feed, or if it's a deliberate legit-fake-news hatchet job effort, just like the US sees on social media vis a vis politics.

And, I guess the bigger question I really have here is: is anyone out there taking this seriously, or web sites like this seriously?

Something that disturbs me is it just takes a little bit of effort and suddenly a nothing of an article, or a deliberate hit piece, etc., can suddenly become "a thing", like with Clem's blog a few months ago being used as fodder for all kinds of places to deliberately misinterpret.
Last edited by Portreve on Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

DAMIEN1307
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:47 am

My own "personal" opinion after reading Techrights on just a few occasions is that their publication is no more than a "clickbait" sort of "rant", form of tech "yellow journalism" , heavily slanted, heavily biased, written by hacks for distribution for the clueless masses, if i wanted more of this, i could just read "Forbes" magazine clickbait tech reviews...lol...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

Portreve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Portreve » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:50 am

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:47 am
My own "personal" opinion after reading Techrights on just a few occasions is that their publication is no more than a "clickbait" sort of "rant", form of tech "yellow journalism" , heavily slanted, heavily biased...DAMIEN
Ah, ok. I suspected that much, but since I had never read anything else by them, I thought I would ask. Thanks for your feedback, Damien!

rene
Level 11
Level 11

Post by rene » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:54 am

Portreve wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:30 am
And, I guess the bigger question I really have here is: is anyone out there taking this seriously, or web sites like this seriously?
Can only speak for myself but definitely I am not. And that very much includes the "established" The Register. It's been a compendium of open-source soap-opera clickbait for years now; scraping LKML for controversial quotes by Torvalds and then "reporting" on them so as to build/satisfy its public of open-source hangers-on; people not technical enough to be part of a "community" they long to be (seen to be) part of. Being bold enough to sound critical of one's heroes might though convince someone, somewhere that one in fact -- gulp -- stands side to side with said heroes.

I.e., "reporting on the stars", fanboy-style. Not for me...

DAMIEN1307
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:56 am

Techrights appears to be the tech worlds version of the Florida USAs publication known as "the National Enquirer"...never to be believed or to be taken as any sort of serious journalism...lol...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

absque fenestris
Level 6
Level 6

Post by absque fenestris » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:43 pm

One could now also discuss the individual CO₂ or methane emissions of RMS...

...old white man, once made a dirty joke - Whooooo!
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:21 pm

In 1983, RMS created GNU/Linux in order for independent smart developers like himself have the freedom to tinker with an open-source OS to their hearts' delight, which indy developers could not freely do with closed-source OS like M$-Windows and Apple-MacOSX.

RMS never imagined that the for-profit proprietary closed-source software companies would later play at his own game, ie freely tinker with open-source GNU/Linux and then convert GNU/Linux into proprietary closed-source software via trade-marking, licensing agreements with OEMs, patent protection of API, etc , eg Google Inc-gLinux, Android and Chrome OS, Red Hat Inc-RHEL, Facebook-Open Compute Project, Amazon Web Services, etc. Thanks to RMS, it didn't cost the tech giants a cent to make use of free/libre GNU/Linux. Recently, even M$ has jumped on this band-wagon with Azure Cloud Services, Github, WSL and Edge-Chromium. Apple may follow suit.

Today, the Linux Foundation is dominated and controlled by these for-profit proprietary closed-source tech giants, who have sponsored major Linux Projects and have kept GNU/Linux alive for their own for-profit purposes. Hence, today Linus Torvald is a millionaire = the Linux kernel contains many proprietary closed-source hardware drivers. RMS got played out by the tech giants, ie beaten at his own game. Maybe RMS wish to be as rich as Linus Torvald by "submitting" to M$ and other tech giants. Like they say, "Money talks, BS walks".

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:29 pm

"Money talks, BS walks"
a mantra for all internet hopefuls

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:26 pm

Pjotr wrote:.Opinions can differ, sometimes wildly, sometimes on very controversial subjects. When they're being spoken out loud, they should be covered by the freedom of speech most of us love and cherish. Except for those utterings that are forbidden by criminal law. .
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=301806 - Re: The downfall of Richard Stallman?
https://news.slashdot.org/story/19/09/1 ... vin-minsky - Richard Stallman posted a new update today on his personal site. "I want to respond to the misleading media coverage of messages I posted about Marvin Minsky's association with Jeffrey Epstein." - 14 Sep 2019
https://thenextweb.com/dd/2019/09/13/fr ... edophilia/ - Free software icon Richard Stallman has some moronic thoughts about pedophilia
by Matthew Hughes — 2 days ago in Design & Dev
The US Constitution prohibits the powerful US government from restricting her citizen's freedom of speech (also freedom of religion, freedom of the press, freedom to lodge protest/seek redress, freedom to bear arms, etc). The US Constitution does not prohibit other less powerful entities from restricting the above freedoms, eg Walmart can refuse to sell arms, restaurants can refuse to serve those who have uttered "offensive" speech, the court of public opinion can boycott anyone/org for "unpopular" speech or conduct, etc.

So, a US person can say whatever he/she wants with his/her freedom of speech and will never be prosecuted or censored by the powerful US government, except for a few unlawful speech proscribed by US Law, eg verbal incitement/provocation to violence, defamation, libel, etc.
....... OTOH, there can be negative consequences to that person's freely uttered "offensive" speech from other entities, eg the court of public opinion, the media, restaurants, etc, especially for a public figure like RMS or Linus Torvald - this is legal.

Freedom of speech in USA does not mean freedom from all consequences.
Last edited by michael louwe on Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

trytip
Level 11
Level 11

Post by trytip » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:54 pm

but i'd probably do the same if you you put a truck load of money in front of me. or maybe he thinks he will influence them towards his point of view. don't know really and don't quite really care much since i don't know the man

Return to “Open chat”